Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 AM

788 posts, read 1,269,543 times

Advertisements

Speaking from experience, my old company hired a Harvard grad after our state school employee left. I really liked our Harvard grad and became friends with him, but I also wound up doing half his work in addition to mine. He was never able to complete his tasks in a timely manner and told me that the work they gave him was beneath his skill set and that he wasn't supposed to do the things they'd assigned him. Nevermind that the girl who was originally in that role had a master's degree and previous job experience, yet she did all that the role entailed.

Other than working part-time for a few months in an art gallery, he'd never held a job before and didn't want to do "menial" tasks that his entry-level job required. When I tried to explain to him that everyone has to move up the ladder by learning the role from the very bottom, he didn't want to hear it and insisted that he could do more. Interestingly, he was let go after 6 months because he couldn't get his work done and spent more time playing on the internet than anything else.

We hired another state school grad, and she was beyond efficient and never complained. What it took him weeks to do, she did in a few days.

I attended a private liberal arts college, so I'm not biased towards state schools, but I'd be very hesitant to hire another Ivy student who'd never really worked before. Seems his parents did him a tremendous disservice by never allowing him to have a job as a teen. He also had no concept of money, since he came from a wealthy family and never had to earn anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,309,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Speaking from experience, my old company hired a Harvard grad after our state school employee left. I really liked our Harvard grad and became friends with him, but I also wound up doing half his work in addition to mine. He was never able to complete his tasks in a timely manner and told me that the work they gave him was beneath his skill set and that he wasn't supposed to do the things they'd assigned him. Nevermind that the girl who was originally in that role had a master's degree and previous job experience, yet she did all that the role entailed.

Other than working part-time for a few months in an art gallery, he'd never held a job before and didn't want to do "menial" tasks that his entry-level job required. When I tried to explain to him that everyone has to move up the ladder by learning the role from the very bottom, he didn't want to hear it and insisted that he could do more. Interestingly, he was let go after 6 months because he couldn't get his work done and spent more time playing on the internet than anything else.

We hired another state school grad, and she was beyond efficient and never complained. What it took him weeks to do, she did in a few days.

I attended a private liberal arts college, so I'm not biased towards state schools, but I'd be very hesitant to hire another Ivy student who'd never really worked before. Seems his parents did him a tremendous disservice by never allowing him to have a job as a teen. He also had no concept of money, since he came from a wealthy family and never had to earn anything.
What you are speaking of may be more gender related than where these folks received degrees.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,876,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
No surprise. Most non-elite corporations prefer to have worker bees and drones who don't think too much and don't question things too much. Higher % of those and more of them at state schools than at elite schools.
There's probably some truth to this post, regardless of what your position on Ivy grads is...

I should mention, in fairness, that grade inflation is quite rampant on campuses such as Harvard. Lots of "A" grades being doled out, although considering the quality of the student body, they might just deserve them..

I do suspect, though, that there are many Ivy students that don't work, at all, during school. And this doesn't play into a favorable stereotype..

Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,409,165 times
I work for a "Fortune 10" and no one here goes around touting where they went to Uni, luckily here the quality of your work speaks for your abilities. We have people from State Uni's that Ive never heard of, and we have people who went to Ivy schools....but it comes down to the fact of whether or not your output is of good quality. If someone DID prance around the cubicles acting like a Diva, theyd be shown the curb in a flash.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,060,858 times
[quote=MassVt;34213195]There's probably some truth to this post, regardless of what your position on Ivy grads is...

I should mention, in fairness, that grade inflation is quite rampant on campuses such as Harvard. Lots of "A" grades being doled out, although considering the quality of the student body, they might just deserve them..

I do suspect, though, that there are many Ivy students that don't work, at all, during school. And this doesn't play into a favorable stereotype..[/quote]

I didn't got to an Ivy for undergrad, but I did go to a pretty expensive Liberal Arts college, and what you said above in bolded part is quite true. Although, I worked two jobs at any given time. However, I was definitely an exception rather than the rule.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,112,583 times
Maybe recruiters are on to something. It seems that every manufactured crises like the current economic one was designed and implemented by Ivy League graduates.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:20 AM

409 posts, read 585,395 times
The article is bull.

Generally speaking, if you have an opportunity to go to an Ivy League school, and they are offering you a good financial package (generally they offer more generous packages than state schools and are cheaper than state schools unless your parents have 200k+ household income where you pay full price), then you should go to the Ivy League school.

It will open up doors throughout your entire life. Trust me on this one. It isn't fair, but it's true. You will always have that network. This is especially true for the truly top Ivies (so probably Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia).

You can also throw in Stanford and MIT, which, while they aren't in the Ivy League, will give you the same advantages as the four schools above.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 AM

211 posts, read 266,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
There's probably some truth to this post, regardless of what your position on Ivy grads is...

I do suspect, though, that there are many Ivy students that don't work, at all, during school. And this doesn't play into a favorable stereotype..
Depends on what one means by "many". Couldn't find statistics, but from my experience, about half at my alma mater had a work-study or other part time job. Makes sense since half are on some form of financial aid at the Ivies.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,510,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
And again as I mentioned before Ivy league professors often times don't just teach there. Why should they? The AAUP would be in an uproar if they slapped non competitive agreements on professors.

Does a Ivy league professor *REALLY* need the institution?

In higher ed who really performs the research? the professor the institution?

In higher ed who really publishes and does all the legwork? the professor or the institution?

I'm sorry but the vast majority of professors if they work there are largely working there probably out of tenure but if you can have the students you want and go directly then what exactly is the point then?
I think that you are referring to the academia side of higher ed, which is important institutionally, but really is not the most important aspect of university for the vast majority of undergrads. Most undergrads learn from, are shaped by, and will be forever connected to their peers, not their professors.

While top professors are found in top departments nationwide, this is much more important to graduate students than undergrads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I wouldn't be surprised by some reverse discrimination against the top schools. Some Ivy Leaguers and top tech grads have a reputation for diva behavior. Many students are accepted to those schools because of legacies more than their actual academic performance. And others have been coddled from nursery school by image-obsessed parents to get into the Ivies. I have a hard time believing a recruiter wouldn't be wary of that. Employers want you to be grateful for your job. They don't want you to expect to be made an executive or partner in a couple of years because Dad and Mom demand it.
Your prejudices are showing. Most students at top schools are not legacies--they are accepted because of their academic performance. While legacy applicants have a higher admission rate (though far from guaranteed), legacies make up a small percentage of enrolling students (~7-15%).

Employers want you to be interested in the work and dedicated to becoming better. Students who have excelled academically have at least demonstrated the requisite dedication (if not the enthusiasm for the specific field).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
The article is bull.

Generally speaking, if you have an opportunity to go to an Ivy League school, and they are offering you a good financial package (generally they offer more generous packages than state schools and are cheaper than state schools unless your parents have 200k+ household income where you pay full price), then you should go to the Ivy League school.

It will open up doors throughout your entire life. Trust me on this one. It isn't fair, but it's true. You will always have that network. This is especially true for the truly top Ivies (so probably Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia).

You can also throw in Stanford and MIT, which, while they aren't in the Ivy League, will give you the same advantages as the four schools above.
True.

A lot of posters on this forum put forth hypothetical comparisons involving a rich student who goes to an elite school and a working class student, equally successful academically, who chooses to go to a state school because it's cheaper. In many cases, the working class student will end up paying less at an elite school, because of generous need-based aid available through those schools' immense endowments (and their ability to cross subsidize).

Harvard requires no family contribution where parents make less than $65,000 annually (~20% of their student body). Stanford is at $60,000 (and no tuition up to $100,000). MIT is tuition-free for families under $75,000.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM

409 posts, read 585,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I

A lot of posters on this forum put forth hypothetical comparisons involving a rich student who goes to an elite school and a working class student, equally successful academically, who chooses to go to a state school because it's cheaper. In many cases, the working class student will end up paying less at an elite school, because of generous need-based aid available through those schools' immense endowments (and their ability to cross subsidize).

Harvard requires no family contribution where parents make less than $65,000 annually (~20% of their student body). Stanford is at $60,000 (and no tuition up to $100,000). MIT is tuition-free for families under $75,000.
All true.

Most people don't realize this, but for most students, the Ivies are cheaper than the average state university. This is because 1. Ivies are rich and have tons of money for financial aid, and 2. Lots of rich people attend Ivies and pay full price, therefore cross-subsidizing everyone else.

If your parents have a middle-class or lower income, and you get into an Ivy, you will probably be able to attend for less than your local state school. Surprising but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search