Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
[/b]

This.

OP, I wouldn't normally suggest using a functional resume format rather than chronological, but given you're going to be a recent grad, it might be a good idea. It would allow you to highlight your 2 relevant internships and prevent the older internship from being buried in a sea of retail.

I agree with this; your resume is bouncing back and forth between internships and retail jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Initial thoughts:
Remove GPA-related lines

Please listen to other feedback you received regarding the 5-year job. Place this job below the three internships, just list dates employed and title - remove the other cashier job.

Title the "activities" as volunteer experience, just below professional experience (also, change "employment history" to professional experience. List it the same you would a job, take out the dates of the various activities.

Move education to the bottom.

Remove skills, unless you can come up with more than EEOC - Microsoft office skills are expected, highlighting them is just antiquated.

Spelling and grammar. Please, please, clean this up.
Good advice. Don't list the short term cashier job and concentrate on your internships.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 PM

20 posts, read 45,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
[/b]

This.

OP, I wouldn't normally suggest using a functional resume format rather than chronological, but given you're going to be a recent grad, it might be a good idea. It would allow you to highlight your 2 relevant internships and prevent the older internship from being buried in a sea of retail.
Yea, I've considering using a functional resume. But I fear the hiring managers will just see gaps in my resume and trash the resume.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONred01 View Post
Yea, I've considering using a functional resume. But I fear the hiring managers will just see gaps in my resume and trash the resume.
You haven't even graduated yet; the gaps don't mean anything.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Doesn't your school offer placement assistance, as well as, resume coaching? Be sure to take FULL advantage of everything your placement office has to offer--YOU PAID FOR THAT AS PART OF YOUR EDUCATION. And, they're usually pretty excited about helping someone.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
·

So would "Performed cashier duties and solicited credit" be good enough? ·

Too much. You are applying for an HR job and nothing you did in your retail job was HR related. No bullet points are necessary.

Unless you had any traing responsibilities, even if occasional, I would include that. Something like : responsible for one on one training in POS procedures and operations.

HR often has a training component in their positions. It won't be part of an entry level position, but it does tend to resonate with HR managers.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Good advice. Don't list the short term cashier job and concentrate on your internships.
Agreed.

Quote:
Good instinct. Never use a functional résumé. It's ok to be a new grad, and in this circumstance gaps are expected. They always wind up listing a long list of phrases that need to be ignored like 'self starter' or 'responsible'.

In your, cover letter you state that you have just graduated and have gained HR skills in two of your internships. Your other internship and long term position at big retailer have shown you the value of reliability, promptness, people skills, etc.

For the middle internship, skip the bullet points. It is not HR related, so nobody cares. Instead put in a job title indicating your responsibilities. Perhaps 'assistant to the store manager'. Obvious references to The Office aside, it does indicate duties you performed.

Delete the GPA

Delete the objective. That belongs in a cover letter and us self evident as you are applying for HR jobs.

I would leave education at the top. That is typical for new grads. It is a signal that there will be gaps in jobs, a lot of short term things and a lack of upward mobility, which is expected at your point in your career. After your first FT job of a year or more it drops to the bottom.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 AM

486 posts, read 832,311 times
I had a career change recently and I removed all jobs that i held less then 12 months and reduced the description of the other old career jobs to one or even zero bullet points.
Remove your current cashier job and reduce the other one to one bullet point.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:09 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
I am not a Grammar Nazi in any way, but, this as your objective is probably resulting in your resume being thrown into the trash can. The second word is incorrect, and it was the first thing I noticed on your resume. Human Resource positions are going to want someone with attention to detail.

OBJECTIVE
Seeking a entry-level Human Resources position where I can utilize my hands-on recruiting/staffing and customer service experience

Old 04-07-2014, 02:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Included job I was debating on leaving off

Critique and suggestions welcomed. Thanks for everyone that helped on first post

OBJECTIVE
Seeking a entry-level Human Resources position where I can utilize my hands-on recruiting/staffing and customer service experienceReplace objective with a "summary"

EDUCATION
C.T. Bauer College of Business, University of Houston, Houston, TX
Bachelor of Business Administration in Management, May 2014
Human Resource Management Track
Management G.P.A.: 3.4; Cumulative G.P.A.: 3.0

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
Intern
Government Agency, City, TX January 2014-Present
· Minimize investigator’s workload by analyzing cases to determine probable cause Delete "minimize investigator's work load. It doesn't matter. Just say what you did. Or say you "worked with Investigators, analyzing cases...
· Examine confidential evidence provided by charging party, applying EEOC law and policy as necessary

Cashier
extra space
Big Retailer, Rosenberg, TX September 2013-Present
· Deliver exceptional customer service and complete up to _____ in POS transactions
· Execute independent judgment in identifying options to resolve customers’ inquiries
· Achieved company goals by implementing marketing strategies which resulted in the enrollment of 200 customers into the rewards program within a 2 month period

Intern
Company, City, Location June 2013-August 2013
· Assisted leadership with managing daily store operations, employees, vendors, and customers
· Identified solutions on possible ways to increase memberships in Rewards program
· Collected store performance data to identify areas for potential growth in _____ department

too many spaces between some jobs. It is hard to tell where on this screen with all the formatting.
Cashier
Big Retailer 2, Location August 2008-May 2013
· Delivered exceptional customer service while enforcing company policy
· Trained new hires on POS register and company policy regarding coupons "trained new employees"

Intern
Somebody Staffing, Location September 2012-February 2013
· Staffed 2 conventions with over 100 temporary employees through effective job interview scheduling, screening, and recruiting practices"two" not 2
· Prepared budgets for potential and current clients weekly to detail cost of service
· Maintained and updated employee’s recruiting files on HRIS
· Responded to various employee inquiries (payroll, job location confirmations, interview scheduling) and candidate referrals

ACTIVITIES
HR Related-Organization, Current Member, Spring 2012-Present
· Public Relations Officer (Fall 2012)
o Planned end of semester banquet for ____ members
o Informed______ members of upcoming events and monthly newsletters
· Helped other fellow ________ members to improving their interviewing skills (Fall 2013)
HR Organization, Current Member September 2013-Present

SKILLS
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
· HRIS
· Knowledge of EEOC laws
Someone else might be able to confirm if this is considered ok or not . Maybe you could put your most relevant experience first, instead of listing jobs in date order. Highlight your internship experience first, then list cashier jobs under that.

I would list "memberships" instead of "activities." Include your leadership position, but maybe leave off the planning of the banquet, unless you can highlight specific skills you used or gained by doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search