Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times

Advertisements

Regarding getting a suit at Goodwill, try visiting them in affluent neighborhoods. You can find things brand new, never worn and tossed just because January 1st came around.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Always dress up, regardless of the job. I have been to interviews where others have come in with jeans and sweaters, surprise surprise they didn't move forward. Like others have mentioned check out Goodwill, Salvation Army, or a similar store you can find some nice suits for super cheap. Your suit doesn't have to be some $3000 designer suit but don't come in some tacky rainbow pimp suit either.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Always dress up, regardless of the job. I have been to interviews where others have come in with jeans and sweaters, surprise surprise they didn't move forward. Like others have mentioned check out Goodwill, Salvation Army, or a similar store you can find some nice suits for super cheap. Your suit doesn't have to be some $3000 designer suit but don't come in some tacky rainbow pimp suit either.
You brought up images of "Baretta" in my head.

http://pdxretro.com/wp-content/uploa...ster_thumb.jpg

Old 04-10-2014, 10:43 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
You brought up images of "Baretta" in my head.

http://pdxretro.com/wp-content/uploa...ster_thumb.jpg
Lol it makes me think of this dude:

Don

Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I think it really depends and you are right, wearing a suit and tie can be a negative. For example I recently interviewed for a PM job at Microsoft and was told NOT to wear a suit, tie optional. best solution is if you are working through an independent recruiter who can offer guidance. That's not always possible, so you just have to use your best judgment considering position, company culture and even time of year. I'd say as a rule of thumb, one step better than your expected day-today dress.
You were TOLD. IT geeks almost always dress more casually. The OP doesn't say he's in IT, though, he said, "Corporate", which could technically include IT, I suppose, but it didn't sound that way. The default would be to wear a suit to a business interview.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Okay, OP, these last two images are what NOT to wear for ANY reason EVER!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So you get comfortable in the suit.

Wear it around the house for a couple of hours a day or so before, look at yourself in the mirror.

If the weather is hot, you run the A/C in the car and you put the suit jacket on when you enter the lobby of the building.

To use your logic, the OP should wear shorts if they're not comfortable in long pants.

You're there to impress the employer, not just do what makes you feel "comfortable".
LOL, yes, I can see someone coming to an interview in sweatpants or plaid flannel jammies because they're so much more comfortable.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan123 View Post
thanks to everyone who posted. Wound up buying a brooks brother suit. Was expensive but I guess it'll come in handy down the road. Thanks for all the comments btw.

For the one who complained about me spelling corporate wrong , get a life. To equate me spelling wrong or not knowing the dress code to meaning I'm lazy is the most ignorant and ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Good luck, and let us know how the interview went. You won't regret the suit. You're at the age when you'll soon be going to weddings and whatnot, and the suit will come in handy.

We can forgive the misspelled word, but PLEASE stop putting a space in front of a comma. I am completely mystified as to why people do that. Then again, my boss does it and she makes $200K a year, so it probably won't hold you back.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, yes, I can see someone coming to an interview in sweatpants or plaid flannel jammies because they're so much more comfortable.
Exactly....LOL

It's an interview, not a day at Disneyworld.

Even if you do a phone interview it's a good idea to not be in your bathrobe and laying in bed. You don't have to be sitting there in a suit, but it's best to be showered and dressed, you're more alert.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
As someone who gives technical interviews, a suit helps. If you feel it's not needed then it probably isn't but it will help. Certainly though in a technical interview it means completely nothing if you aren't technically capable .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search