Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:04 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,969,505 times

Advertisements

So, I started a new job a few weeks ago. Its a good job but definitely not a dream job. The third day into the new job, I get an email from an internal recruiter for a job I applied for in mid January. This is a job a really wanted, good company, good position, and awesome location. I relocated for my new job so I can't just quit. Even if I didn't, I wouldn't. I'm trying out sales in my industry and want to see if I'm any good at it. Plus, it will help me in the long run having experience within sales. I emailed the recruiter back I already found a new position and relocated for it so I can't switch at the moment but I am very interested. She replied back, if your employment situation changes, please let me know.

Are two month replies the norm now? I had a few other companies get back to me two months after I applied. If you are employed and are casually looking, I guess thats not a big deal. But when you are unemployed, two months is FOREVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,116,258 times
It's certainly a possibility, especially with people getting multiple job offers.

If a company's top candidate rejects the offer, they have to start all over again. They will go back and contact the next best candidate.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:12 AM

74 posts, read 133,791 times
I'm kind of in this situation now. I'm unemployed (have only a few PT hours) and I applied for a position back in January. I had an inside scoop so that was about 1-1/2 months before they advertised. When I checked yesterday, they are still reviewing applications.

I've had some jobs I've applied to call me the next day or the next week for an interview. I guess it depends on the company

And Yes, it feels like forever.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So, I started a new job a few weeks ago. Its a good job but definitely not a dream job. The third day into the new job, I get an email from an internal recruiter for a job I applied for in mid January. This is a job a really wanted, good company, good position, and awesome location. I relocated for my new job so I can't just quit. Even if I didn't, I wouldn't. I'm trying out sales in my industry and want to see if I'm any good at it. Plus, it will help me in the long run having experience within sales. I emailed the recruiter back I already found a new position and relocated for it so I can't switch at the moment but I am very interested. She replied back, if your employment situation changes, please let me know.

Are two month replies the norm now? I had a few other companies get back to me two months after I applied. If you are employed and are casually looking, I guess thats not a big deal. But when you are unemployed, two months is FOREVER.
Yes, two month replies are not unusual. You have to remember, the company is operating on their timeline, not yours. There may be other pressing issues, there could be a backlog in HR, or as Move4ward says, they may have had another candidate, who fell through. It's frustrating for the job seeker, who needs a job yesterday, but not that unusual. That's why there's the old adage, it's easiest to find a job when you already have a job.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,607 times
I had a similar situation happen to me. I had an interview in June of 2009, but didn't receive an offer letter until that August; and that was only after I inquired into the status! However, it was a bit different for me, because I was already working there as a temp. However in retrospect, it would have been better for them to move quicker on hiring me, since their hourly rate for me through the temp agency was hire than my salary turned out to me. Even so, they (HR) just dragged their feet with processing the paperwork.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Yes, had a job call me after a year.They file some people just in case.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

Same things happened to me and once I started the new job I told the company that waited until 2 months to reply that I am no longer available. I definitely couldn't go on any interviews at that point but it seems that is how life is when job searching. If you were still looking for a job then that company would have never called you

Old 04-12-2014, 02:31 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,969,505 times
I just don't get it. I mean I do but with my personality, its hard for me to comprehend taking two months to do just about anything.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 AM

130 posts, read 297,333 times
Just interviewed for a government job and they took 50 days (almost two months) to call me

Old 04-12-2014, 08:32 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
I've been in this situation (from both sides). Believe it of not, unless a position is critical, getting it filled my not be the only item on a HM's plate at the time. On the other hand, it is absolutely the most important thing (or definitely one of) for the job seeker. Guess whose agenda takes precedence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search