Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

Just because you are quick to move into a new job after an interview, does not mean the company can move as fast as you want. As posters have said, it often took a month or more for them to get offered the job officially.

Lets look at why it takes longer for a company to make an offer, than a couple of days you would like it to take.

1: They may have more than one person to interview before they can make a decision. It can take days to get them all interviewed due to the schedules of the people doing the interview. The interviewers, are busy people and have to be able to do their other duties, and can all be available for interviews at certain times. The busier they are, the longer it takes them to do all the interviews.

2: It takes time to have reference checks, etc., done between when they saw you, and making the decision to hire you.

3: If there are more than one doing the interviews, after they have done all the interviews, done all the checks, they have to find a time that all those involved in making the final decision can get together to make that decision as to who they hire.

The company is not just doing an interview and hiring all day long, to get to hire you. The people involved, also have other things to handle than just giving you a job. In most cases, the other things must come first, to keep the businesses running smoothly. In fact, getting you a job is often a big distraction for them from other duties.

The more important the job, and the higher the salary, and the better the quality of applicants, the longer it will take to make a decision to hire you.

On the other hand, if the position is important to their day to day operation, and it is almost impossible to find someone with the knowledge and experience to fill the job, when that one person applies for the job they can move awful fast before they lose that one possible person that can do the job for them.

The more important the job, the higher the pay, and the smaller pool of applicants, the faster they can/will operate if you are the one perfect fit for the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
It always seems to take a while, and it almost always means you didn't get the job.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM

17 posts, read 15,738 times
In my experience, If I don't get a job offer after the final interview.. that's it! It means a no. Just try your other options, maybe getting yourself interviewed for other possible position in another company. Three weeks is too long to expect for a job offer.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Until the OP receives confirmation that he was not selected there is still hope

Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Parker View Post
In my experience, If I don't get a job offer after the final interview.. that's it! It means a no. Just try your other options, maybe getting yourself interviewed for other possible position in another company. Three weeks is too long to expect for a job offer.
Disagree.

Many times you won't hear right then and there, depending on how many people you talked too and how large the company is and how much red tape they have. Also, they may have scheduled several interviews and want to wait until all interviews are complete. And then stuff always comes up - work, vacations, holidays, etc.

If it is a small company, and you talk with the boss/owner for a low level job, you can sometimes be offered the job on the spot - especially for lower level jobs. Not all companies are equal.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I maybe the only person who prefers no response if I didn't get the job lol why have my mailbox or email cluttered with a rejection letter?
I would say you're in the minority. If someone takes the time and energy to go on an interview they want a status so they can move on.

I remember years ago not getting a job I wanted, what I appreciated was the fact that the interviewer(hiring manager) kept the candidates in the loop as to where he was in the hiring process, and than sent out an email to those of us who weren't selected.

Most people want to know where they stand in life, and not just when job searching.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
I've never gotten a denial letter or call.

After interviewing I've either been contacted with a job offer or I never heard from them again.

The longest I've waited for an offer was a few days... The job that I moved cross country for.

The 3 jobs I've had since have all been same day or next day offers... Probably because there weren't 200 other people to interview. Skilled trade is where it's at...

Old 04-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I would say you're in the minority. If someone takes the time and energy to go on an interview they want a status so they can move on.

I remember years ago not getting a job I wanted, what I appreciated was the fact that the interviewer(hiring manager) kept the candidates in the loop as to where he was in the hiring process, and than sent out an email to those of us who weren't selected.

Most people want to know where they stand in life, and not just when job searching.
^^^ This

I wish that this place I interviewed at would give me more of an update than "we're still deciding and we'll let you know either way"

It's been 3 weeks+ and I flew cross country twice in the span of 40 hours to come meet you - and I killed myself to get out there on time because flights were delayed/canceled because of the weather.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 18,094 times
It's terrible that someone would interview you in person and not have the courtesy to notify you about their decision. Especially if you flew out!

At this point, you're probably unlikely to get an offer. However, they might eventually notify you - if they offered the position to someone else, it could take several weeks for them to finalize that person's offer. I imagine only then would they start giving notices to all other candidates, if they will do so at all.

When I've applied to jobs with large employers (big, big companies, or universities), I would occasionally get automated responses for positions I didn't even receive a phone interview... months after the application. Once, I received one 1.5 years after I submitted the application. I didn't even remember applying at that point!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgirl123 View Post
It's terrible that someone would interview you in person and not have the courtesy to notify you about their decision. Especially if you flew out!

At this point, you're probably unlikely to get an offer. However, they might eventually notify you - if they offered the position to someone else, it could take several weeks for them to finalize that person's offer. I imagine only then would they start giving notices to all other candidates, if they will do so at all.

When I've applied to jobs with large employers (big, big companies, or universities), I would occasionally get automated responses for positions I didn't even receive a phone interview... months after the application. Once, I received one 1.5 years after I submitted the application. I didn't even remember applying at that point!

What the irony is that they flew me out on their dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search