Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 02:44 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance meet with a staffing agency. The usual time waster, been through that myself. What surprised me was she was told by the agent that her company and all other staffing agencies are required by law to take professional references prior to looking for work on their behalf.

I don't know what's worse... that some of these agents are getting this desperate, or this deceptive. Either way, spread the word that:
1) salary information... just tell them if you're fine with a salary for any proposed work, but otherwise, what you made previously is private information to you.
2) references... you'll provide them after an interview with the hiring company. If it's their policy otherwise, then don't waste your time with them.
3) places you've been applying to... tell them you'll confirm whether or not you've applied there before. Most of them don't produce any results, so it's not like it's any more work for them anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Sounds like a good sound policy to use. If that had been me I would have called the police and asked about that "law". I'll let you imagine the ensuing conversation! lol

Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
A staffing agency, or a temp agency, isn't the same thing as a headhunter.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Agreed staffing/temp agencies are to headhunters what the guy flipping burgers at Mcdonalds is to Emeril Lagassi.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 04-23-2014 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times
We know.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
How to not get a job:

Quote:
I don't know what's worse... that some of these agents are getting this desperate, or this deceptive. Either way, spread the word that:

1) salary information... just tell them if you're fine with a salary for any proposed work, but otherwise, what you made previously is private information to you.
The reason the want to know your previous salary, to find what level you were working at. If an engineer as an example said they were working for $30,000 per year, it says they are just at starting level for their field. On the other hand, if they were earning $80,000 then it indicates they are working at a very high level. This question tells them a lot about you, and your abilities.
2) references... you'll provide them after an interview with the hiring company. If it's their policy otherwise, then don't waste your time with them.
Good companies do not accept referrals for potential employees, until they have been checked out. They let the head hunters check to find if the person is really qualified for the job. They won't waste their time, until this has been done.
3) places you've been applying to... tell them you'll confirm whether or not you've applied there before. Most of them don't produce any results, so it's not like it's any more work for them anyways.
Companies want to know of prior contact for two reasons. 1: If they had previously been referred by a head hunter, they need to know if they may owe a fee to the other one if referred within a certain time. 2: If they had been interviewed previously, they need to know so they can pull up the information from the previous interview. If the person is not suitable to be hired, there is no use wasting their time with another interview. Of the person may have been #2 on the list after the first interview, and now the position is open again, they want them in as soon as possible and the potential is they may be the only one interviewed.
The HR and the HM are busy people. By this information in advance, can eliminate a lot of hours when finding a new employee. The are willing to pay a head hunter, to cut the number of hours they need to hire a new employee.

Either do it their way, or forget about getting a job. The thing that makes me laugh, is how some people on this thread do not realize the potential employers only have so much staff and time to find new employees. They need to cut the job down as much as possible to do their other duties. These steps, are things that greatly speed up the cost and time to hire new employees.

It is the employers that are in control, not the potential employees. You do it their way, or no jobs, and usually no interviews.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
I want to remind people, that it is the employer that controls the ability for people to get jobs.

I am amazed that so many of the ones that want to be in charge, and interview the employer, and make their demands, are at the same time complaining how hard it is to get a job.

The simply have not learned how to play the game, and get jobs. They think it is the potential employee who is in charge. THEY ARE WRONG.

Last edited by oldtrader; 04-23-2014 at 10:10 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
How to not get a job:

The HR and the HM are busy people. By this information in advance, can eliminate a lot of hours when finding a new employee. The are willing to pay a head hunter, to cut the number of hours they need to hire a new employee.

Either do it their way, or forget about getting a job. The thing that makes me laugh, is how some people on this thread do not realize the potential employers only have so much staff and time to find new employees. They need to cut the job down as much as possible to do their other duties. These steps, are things that greatly speed up the cost and time to hire new employees.

It is the employers that are in control, not the potential employees. You do it their way, or no jobs, and usually no interviews.
Then I come out even anyways (actually I come out behind after the time spent and parking fees), as they have yet to produce any interviews, despite saying how they initially have several positions lined up, how great my resume is, and few days later, no results because the employers are either dragging their feet, or "the position just got filled". I don't doubt that some of these companies* are getting the short end of the stick themselves by hiring companies. However, it still doesn't change that I've produce better results on my own then any of these folks ever will.

*I tend to use staffing companies, head hunters, and temp agencies interchangeably, although many positions in consideration appear to be temporary anyways given they're 3 to 9 months, perhaps "to hire" at the end.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Awhile back a headhunter contacted my current CEO for a reference on a potential job, ugh. Later that day he came into my office and lectured me about commitment and wanting me to stay for the long haul. Needless to say, I was less than impressed with the recruiter. The job that they were looking to fill languished unfilled for months and I cringe at wondering how bad the client's accounting systems got during that time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search