Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Would it be rude not to respond? even if there is no match or opportunity which I am ok with as it will not affect the connection. They should at least respond if I know their significant other right?

"Nothing available" or "no fit" is better than no response.

They are not going to tell you directly because they don't know you. It would be through who they know and that person will tell you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
They are not going to tell you directly because they don't know you. It would be through who they know and that person will tell you
Why not? I wrote out an email to follow up, I can't seem them contacting the connection first .They sent rejection letters out to people all the time this should be no different. I know a connection strangers get at least rejection letters.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
The significant other has to contact your dad's friend since the person don't know you. I had a job lead through my Aunt's boyfriend who knew the VP of a company I wanted to work for. It was my Aunt who contacted me to tell me that he wants me to contact him at 10am.

So that's how it works
In this instance I can't see that happening, that may have worked for you. I can't see that here based on my knowing the dynamic.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:20 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
In that kind of scenario, I would not follow up directly. For one, you don't know the person and, two, there isn't a specific position in mind. That usually means the person will give it to their HR department (or whomever handles that function) and have them contact you when they are ready to bring you in. I've been in that position several times (pre-internet days) and always waited for instruction from my contact on the next step.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
In that kind of scenario, I would not follow up directly. For one, you don't know the person and, two, there isn't a specific position in mind. That usually means the person will give it to their HR department (or whomever handles that function) and have them contact you when they are ready to bring you in. I've been in that position several times (pre-internet days) and always waited for instruction from my contact on the next step.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.
exactly, you wait to hear back from your link to that person not contacting then on your own. That's the purpose of your contact.

I had another situation where my cousin knew a woman in my field and she gave her my number to contact me not her number for me to contact her

Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 PM

I have already sent a follow up as I indicated.

I sent a proper cover letter, rather than just the bland resume, I applied to something else stated what I was interested in for other jobs and mentioned that I can relocate. You see before the just sent my resume in, and to see if there was anything fitting.

I just don't understand how she can't send a "Thanks but we have nothing at this time type email" rather than hear nothing. My contacts live in another part of the country they won't do the news delivering, that just simply won't happen. Its out of their hands at this point, that's not how this has been set up

I find a few days in with no reply to be strange. Total strangers can get a generic email and I have nothing, no acknowledgment

Old 04-25-2014, 07:49 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I have already sent a follow up as I indicated.

I sent a proper cover letter, rather than just the bland resume, I applied to something else stated what I was interested in for other jobs and mentioned that I can relocate. You see before the just sent my resume in, and to see if there was anything fitting.

I just don't understand how she can't send a "Thanks but we have nothing at this time type email" rather than hear nothing. My contacts live in another part of the country they won't do the news delivering, that just simply won't happen. Its out of their hands at this point, that's not how this has been set up

I find a few days in with no reply to be strange. Total strangers can get a generic email and I have nothing, no acknowledgment
you don't know what can be going on behind th scenes

Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
you don't know what can be going on behind th scenes
You mean at their work? No I don't.What could it be politics?

But I think a should at least get a reply. I find it odd to have been family friends for many, many years and a simple " There is no good fit at this time but we will keep you in mind for future opportunities" can't be stated if there is rejection, as opposed to now a blank nothing... no reply ...zero.

It's downright odd to me.

I mean the connection came to me asking if they can send my resume in knowing that I am having trouble finding a job.

A polite " No Thank you" is better than nothing.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:11 PM
FBJ

Quote:
You mean at their work? No I don't.What could it be politics?

But I think a should at least get a reply. I find it odd to have been family friends for many, many years and a simple " There is no good fit at this time but we will keep you in mind for future opportunities" can't be stated if there is rejection, as opposed to now a blank nothing... no reply ...zero.

It's downright odd to me.

I mean the connection came to me asking if they can send my resume in knowing that I am having trouble finding a job.

A polite " No Thank you" is better than nothing.

No I mean they can be in the process of setting up a interview especially since you haven't heard anything. And you should hear "we will keep you in mind for future opportunities" because you are not a outsider. you were referred by someone which means you should either

1. Hear something about a interview

2. Hear something when a opening becomes available

Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
No I mean they can be in the process of setting up a interview especially since you haven't heard anything. And you should hear "we will keep you in mind for future opportunities" because you are not a outsider. you were referred by someone which means you should either

1. Hear something about a interview

2. Hear something when a opening becomes available
My connection said they were looking for new talent, so I sent the resume through him( he is a family friend well over 10 years)

I was thinking that... could they be doing some research for a good position? and then maybe approach me with a position... should they find one available that works when the time is right?

Or are they just impossibly rude people and stuck up? and they won't bother to at least give a polite "No"?

I can handle a "No" It will not damage the friendship at all …..it's the hearing nothing that bothers me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search