U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,338,730 times

Advertisements

well I have no choice but to wait. Seems like people here are more optimistic than pessimistic, so I can only hope. I will update this thread tmr afternoon after I reach out and hopefully hear back
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 PM

4,905 posts, read 3,318,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
well I have no choice but to wait. Seems like people here are more optimistic than pessimistic, so I can only hope. I will update this thread tmr afternoon after I reach out and hopefully hear back
In the meantime, keep looking!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM

8,277 posts, read 6,660,999 times
I received a job offer from an organization that refused to put the offer in writing. This was not a small organization and it is very well-known locally.

I turned them down as the prospect of accepting a job with no written offer scared the hell out of me.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,720,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
But the selection part is over and now he can mentally move to the next step in the hiring process
Not really. It could be held up because one person wants to have his cousin interviewed at the last minute, or anything similar. A verbal offer is nothing. They can drop it and move on to another candidate at any time. I'm not suggesting they did or have in this case, but until its in writing you have nothing.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:29 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,881,329 times
Quote:
I've been interviewing for the next step in my career - upper director/executive level for Fortune 500 companies. There's this one company I'm hopeful for but it's taking too long and HR is odd

Though Monday is already here, hope you were smart enough to let it sit for the moment.

Amusingly enough, went through this quite recently with one of the majors in Seattle area. Sr. Lead level, leadership though not executive. These days, expect oddness in hiring. Especially at a senior level. Times are different from ten years ago, it's a bigger commitment for them.

In my case, interviews were two days, separated by nearly a full week. I can deal with that, in fact it gave extra time to prepare.

After, it took them a full week for an offer. Was fairly sure one was forthcoming, but that is unusually slow for these guys. As a candidate, one must exercise what amounts to inhuman patience. You've noticed that in your career: sometimes the best action is to wait, and be still, like a big cat in the tall grass. Ability to "know when to hold 'em" is a skill.

Still, when the offer came (via email), I was exuberant. Wrote a reply, did NOT send, then sat on it for half a day. Changed a few words, removing the exuberance but still expressing I was pleased. Negotiation tactic.

Two more days after that, they called me and we negotiated. A day and a half after they SAID they would call. That went fast enough; again, there was enough time to think and confer with peers on strategy. Use time to your advantage. Not that different from buying a car: opening bid, I discussed other options I have, asked where they'd move, and countered within those guidelines since I knew what was fair for the role. Getting to Win-Win.

And the job won't officially start until two weeks after that was concluded, as they run background checks. Elapsed time will thus be close to a month. Scratch that: a full month, come to think of it, interview 1 to first day.

Just...be...cool. It's OK to worry. Hell, I worry, and I'm a big boy been doing this 22 years. But showing them any of your cards has little upside. Erodes confidence in your leadership, makes you look weak, and will cost you money in negotiation. That's just how it is. Corporate wheels turn at their own pace.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM

3,492 posts, read 3,396,502 times
I know the waiting sucks. But has there ever been an employer that decided to hire someone and then didn't because they forgot? You can pester HR all you want with emails but I doubt it will make any difference. You're either hired or you're not.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,338,730 times
UPDATE: Reached out mid afternoon today like I said I would, got a response saying they are "fighting through and waiting for final internal approvals and should get it out end of today"

Let's see if today actually means today...

Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 PM

11,148 posts, read 8,125,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
I wouldn't be worried too much yet, HR always seems to move at a snails pace.
It's true, they may still be negotiating the OP's salary, or other details with HR. You just never know.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I hope you hear back soon. I understand your antsy-ness all too well... you won't be convinced all is well till you get that written offer in hand, and I'd be the same way.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Yes, be confident and follow-up.

The reason:

Last year, I interviewed at a company (through a referral from a friend, who is a SVP) and went through 4 rounds of interviews. The hiring manager made me a verbal offer and I accepted. He told me that a offer letter was "forthcoming". A few days later, HR called and informed me that my position would have a new manager and that an internal reorganization was taking place and that I would have to re-interview with the new hiring manager. 3 weeks went by and I re-interviewed and of course, the new manager did not make me an offer.

I hope that something like this does not happen to you. Good luck!
I hope not too. Reminds me of a job offer my daughter got a few years ago- not an executive position by any stretch but a healthcare worker in a small hospital. Turns out it was the Director of Nursing that offered her the job, but she didn't mention that because of the hospital's semi-permanent policy of hiring freezes, when they wanted to fill an open posted position, they had to get the approval of the CEO and HR to actually fill that position, and fund it. So DD was offered the position verbally, and informed that they would get back to her in 10 days or so with the details, including salary, and so on. In the meantime, she was offered a position at another hospital, and accepted that one, believing she was in limbo regarding the first position.

For some reason ( think it may have been to return a volunteer vest), DD visited the first hospital two weeks after the job offer ( they hadn't gotten back to her), and ran into the woman who had offered her the job. DD informed her of the second job offer, and her acceptance. They both went to the CEO, found he had been sitting on the approval for this job- he approved it on the spot, once he learned that DD would not be taking the job in his hospital.

I don't think for a minute that this is the case with the OP, but there are lots of reasons- many we'll never know about- that written confirmations of job offers take a while to get to the recipient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search