Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
You should do a follow-up on Monday afternoon. Not in the morning, as you know how Monday mornings are.
I was going to say Tuesday afternoon for that reason. I try not to do follow-ups on Mondays because of the "it's Monday" problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
You should do a follow-up on Monday afternoon. Not in the morning, as you know how Monday mornings are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I was going to say Tuesday afternoon for that reason. I try not to do follow-ups on Mondays because of the "it's Monday" problem.
Yup...I was planning to followup late Monday. Guess it's the waiting game from here...

Old 04-27-2014, 06:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I understand but 2 things

1. I'm not interviewing for a normal mid-level job, I'm going in pretty high up the chain. Everyone I interviewed with are EVP/SVP level, there really isn't that many more levels of approval needed (at least not in my opinion)
2. HR specifically said EOD Friday. If she said like "I'll get it to you ASAP I just need to check on a few things" okay that's understandable I'll wait a bit longer but that's not what she said
Typically two levels of mgmt plus HR are required so if you are a Director and reporting into a VP, they'd need your VP, their EVP, and VP of HR to sign off. Now you're just dealing with exec availability.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
email the person on Wednesday evening if you don't anything by then. Why you are concerned? Did you exhaust your UC benefits?
Between this and your other comments you couldn't be more wrong. The OP has nothing in writing, so there is no official offer. There have been many posts on here by people who had a verbal job offer retracted...so it is a biggie.

This HR woman keeps missing dates she has mentioned. There is reason for concern. Doesn't mean that the job offer isn't real, but I would be very cautious.

How hard is it to send(and considerate) to have sent the OP an email or call on Friday and just say there was a delay in getting the offer in writing? Instead of leaving them twisting in the wind, this is twice now that she has "dropped the ball".

Where did the OP say they were unemployed? They most likely have to give notice at a their current job, something they shouldn't do until they have written confirmation with the salary and start date given.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:23 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I've had a case where I was promised a job, pending background investigation. However, it took over a month, as I believe things have been slow and on the back burner anyways. I ended up starting the job, and it turns out my manager was more worried about the investigation then I was (in all fairness, I had nothing that should be a red flag, and it was out of my hands anyways.).

A verbal offer isn't ironclad, but at least it's a good start. Typically, they won't promise you something orally and retract it. Otherwise, it just show poor organization and communications on their part.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Someone may be on vacation or traveling for business and unable to put the offer together. It takes longer than 15 minutes.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Between this and your other comments you couldn't be more wrong. The OP has nothing in writing, so there is no official offer. There have been many posts on here by people who had a verbal job offer retracted...so it is a biggie.

This HR woman keeps missing dates she has mentioned. There is reason for concern. Doesn't mean that the job offer isn't real, but I would be very cautious.

How hard is it to send(and considerate) to have sent the OP an email or call on Friday and just say there was a delay in getting the offer in writing? Instead of leaving them twisting in the wind, this is twice now that she has "dropped the ball".

Where did the OP say they were unemployed? They most likely have to give notice at a their current job, something they shouldn't do until they have written confirmation with the salary and start date given.

My point is it's only been 5 days, if nothing is accomplished by the end of this week then he should start to be concerned

Old 04-27-2014, 08:16 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Yes, be confident and follow-up.

The reason:

Last year, I interviewed at a company (through a referral from a friend, who is a SVP) and went through 4 rounds of interviews. The hiring manager made me a verbal offer and I accepted. He told me that a offer letter was "forthcoming". A few days later, HR called and informed me that my position would have a new manager and that an internal reorganization was taking place and that I would have to re-interview with the new hiring manager. 3 weeks went by and I re-interviewed and of course, the new manager did not make me an offer.

I hope that something like this does not happen to you. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Yup...I was planning to followup late Monday. Guess it's the waiting game from here...

Old 04-27-2014, 09:33 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
This is considered a "good problem"

You were offered the job but now just waiting for confirmation in writing. The one thing you do know is you have the job but now just need the letter to make it official

Just email in a few days, no biggie
He doesn't have the offer, that's the problem. A verbal offer is nothing. He can't, or shouldn't, make any plans until he has it in writing.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
He doesn't have the offer, that's the problem. A verbal offer is nothing. He can't, or shouldn't, make any plans until he has it in writing.

But the selection part is over and now he can mentally move to the next step in the hiring process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search