Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,989,853 times

Advertisements

My niece recently had a disappointing job hunting situation. A friend told her that they had heard about a job in her field (actually something that she was extremely well qualified for). The application deadline was May 1st, about a week later and the job vacancy had been posted about a week earlier. It took my niece about two days to write a good cover letter, revise her resume and get everything to the company. She thought that it was OK because it was still 4 or 5 days before the application deadline.

One of her references, who knew the person in charge of hiring, called on April 28 to put in a good word for my niece and was told that the organization was already doing final interviews and they expected to have someone hired by May 1st.

My question is: How common is it for a company (in this case a non-profit organization) to post a job vacancy, state that applications are due by a certain date and then have the interviews finished and the new person hired even before the application due date?

Was this a fluke? Or should you always send in your application ASAP and not assume that they accepting applications until the date that they state? Any guidance on this subject would be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,839,730 times
Common, particularly when there is already a candidate identified for the job.

Next time, don't take 48 hours for what should be a 30 minute process.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,682,019 times
App deadlines aren't homework deadlines where all the papers are graded after the deadline. The recruiters will look at resumes everyday and if there's a harvard grad, they're gonna try to hire him ASAP.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 24,989,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Common, particularly when there is already a candidate identified for the job.

Next time, don't take 48 hours for what should be a 30 minute process.
Those were the two things that I told my niece as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
App deadlines aren't homework deadlines where all the papers are graded after the deadline. The recruiters will look at resumes everyday and if there's a harvard grad, they're gonna try to hire him ASAP.

Although, it was a disappointing experience for my niece I think that it was a valuable learning experience as well. I think that she has done similar things in the past (wanting to write the "perfect" cover letter so she waited to send it until someone else had time to proofread it and offer suggestions for improvement).

She is a recent graduate so has limited experience applying for professional jobs.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,478,218 times
I think it is common. They're going to start interviewing as soon as they get some qualified applicants and as soon as they find one they want to hire, they aren't going to keep interviewing just to waste time. Interviewing job applicants is a time consuming task.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:26 AM

23,321 posts, read 23,711,869 times
It's just an application deadline, which means the latest date that an application can be accepted. The company could have an internal referral, or the President's daughter as a potential candidate. In this competitive job market, they could have a resume from a top candidate and they want to interview and hire them before someone else does.

Bottom line: move fast, or the opportunity could close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search