Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times

Advertisements

Sheesh, for the people who've had these half-day marathon interviews, were you off work that day? Were you advised in advance of the length of the interview(s)? How are you able to incorporate a 4 hour interview into a day where you're working for someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 AM

269 posts, read 371,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
It is typical for a technical interview to be 6+ hours. This is not a conversation but an interrogation. The last interview I attended lasted 8 hours with 6 one-on-one interviews.
A panel of 6 people sat in a conference room and asked me questions while I stood by a chalkboard and scribbled circuit diagrams and algorithms. It lasted for 3 hours but the worst part was that they did not offer me a chair. . Got an offer but didn't take it.
No, it's not typical of technical interviews, since I've been working in IT for nearly 20 years and never had an interview last longer than 1.5 hours.

It is only typical of the elite companies like Google. I've only had phone interviews with those types of companies - never made it for the in person interviews. And I can understand those companies holding all day interviews - it's a huge deal to land that sort of job, regardless of the pay that you start off on. Once you have Google on your resume you are pretty much guaranteed to never worry about getting that next job - they all want you after that.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:06 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Sheesh, for the people who've had these half-day marathon interviews, were you off work that day? Were you advised in advance of the length of the interview(s)? How are you able to incorporate a 4 hour interview into a day where you're working for someone else?
You take a vacation day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee18 View Post
No, it's not typical of technical interviews, since I've been working in IT for nearly 20 years and never had an interview last longer than 1.5 hours.

It is only typical of the elite companies like Google. I've only had phone interviews with those types of companies - never made it for the in person interviews. And I can understand those companies holding all day interviews - it's a huge deal to land that sort of job, regardless of the pay that you start off on. Once you have Google on your resume you are pretty much guaranteed to never worry about getting that next job - they all want you after that.
It's pretty typical of most tech companies, not just Google.

Look up the process for Amazon, Walmart E-comm., IBM, Microsoft, etc. Even tech startups do this.

Also IT and Software Engineering/CS are pretty different.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
They scheduled my interview 2 weeks in advance, so I was able to take a "vacation" day, despite it being anything but a vaca.. The interview was scheduled for 11:15am, so I didnt know how long it was going to be, so I just took the whole day.... and I'm glad I did.

So just to provide a bit of an update-- I sent out my "thank yous" via email and the Director (aka my potential future boss) responded it was "nice getting to know me better"...and that "we'll be in touch soon"

Am I hoping against hope here that the "we'll be in touch soon" statement means "we'll be in touch cuz we're basically gonna give u the job"???

what do u all think? Waiting to hear is kinda torturous as well.
phew this whole looking and finding new employment is for the birds, I need to win the lotto.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Most of my interviews start at 9 or 10am and finish between 3 and 4:30pm. Its a long day, meeting with several people including a lunch. I have no problem sleeping that night.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You take a vacation day.
And what happens in the event you can't get the time off? Let's also project that over multiple interviews. If I've applied to 30 jobs, lets say I land 10 interviews( probably not likely that high, but for the sake of my point). Lets say I only get 12 vacation days a year( which is the case with me). I need to take 10 vacation days for 10 interviews, leaving me with 2?! Would be a beotch if I didn't land any of the jobs.....

Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
And what happens in the event you can't get the time off? Let's also project that over multiple interviews. If I've applied to 30 jobs, lets say I land 10 interviews( probably not likely that high, but for the sake of my point). Lets say I only get 12 vacation days a year( which is the case with me). I need to take 10 vacation days for 10 interviews, leaving me with 2?! Would be a beotch if I didn't land any of the jobs.....
Some companies are willing to meet with candidates after hours

Old 05-15-2014, 10:29 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
It sure would. You have to weigh your options. What is more important to you. Extra vacation or a new job? Most companies know you have another job. They will work with you a little around setting up an interview day.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:42 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
UPDATE: They have asked for my references!!!!

Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM

80 posts, read 128,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
UPDATE: They have asked for my references!!!!
It's great that they've asked for your references. I had one of those marathon interviews a couple weeks ago and I still haven't heard back yet. The CFO and Dean seemed to really like me but who knows. The CFO ASSURED me that I should hear from HR and the Dean the following week and still nothing. I followed up with the Dean who told me they were in the beginning of the hiring process. I would hate to think I was grilled by the Dean, CFO and a panel for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search