Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM

12 posts, read 17,317 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I just graduated from the University of Michigan a couple of weeks ago and am having a very difficult time finding a job. I am willing to relocate basically anywhere in the country, my GPA was nearly 4.0 in college, and I've been applying to hundreds of jobs for four or five months. I've had lots of interviews but never any offers. I am very frustrated and scared, as my apartment lease is up in August and then I will have to move somewhere and try to just find something there I guess. (I am hoping that I will find something before then so I have a reason to move where I do, but I'm feeling pretty burnt out and pessimistic at this point.) If it does come to the point that I have to move out and find somewhere new/random to live, where do you guys think there are the most entry-level jobs? A lot of my friends are moving to Chicago - does it have a good market for entry-level jobs?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 01:21 PM

182 posts, read 477,123 times
In no particular order, here are some places that have pretty decent job markets:

Washington DC Metro Area (including Baltimore, Washington DC and Northern Virginia) - This is where my wife and I settled after realizing that the job opportunities in Atlanta weren't all that great (she's from Atlanta and we both went to college there). Because of the federal government, the job market is pretty good, even when the economy struggles nationwide. The vast majority of my friends from college that didn't stay in Atlanta or return to their hometown, came to the DC area. Be warned, the cost of living is pretty high.

Other areas that my friends relocated to after college include Houston (decent job market, low cost of living), Charlotte (decent job market, low cost of living) and Los Angeles (great job opportunities, if you can afford to live out there).

Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Try here: Not a big city by any means but I hear they just got a gov contract for more subs. That being said there may be opportunities for company travel. If you are serious try to get in before January because from what I heard those hired after January 2015 won't be eligible for their pension plan.

General Dynamics Electric Boat

Old 05-16-2014, 01:43 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Do you have any internships or work experience? What do you want to do? What was your major? TX and the upper Midwest all have low unemployment rates.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Do you have any internships or work experience? What do you want to do? What was your major? TX and the upper Midwest all have low unemployment rates.
Yes, I've had three internships and lots of volunteer experience, some in other countries. I don't know what I want to do exactly... I was an English major, so my biggest skills are writing and communication, but I'm a liberal arts major so I'm not trained to do a single job. I'd like to work with people and do something where I have to use my writing skills, but I'm really not being picky. The only thing I really don't want to do is sales.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue92 View Post
Yes, I've had three internships and lots of volunteer experience, some in other countries. I don't know what I want to do exactly... I was an English major, so my biggest skills are writing and communication, but I'm a liberal arts major so I'm not trained to do a single job. I'd like to work with people and do something where I have to use my writing skills, but I'm really not being picky. The only thing I really don't want to do is sales.
If you have any technical ability, I would look into technical writing positions or even positions where you would be doing advertising or promotional materials.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:10 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you have any technical ability, I would look into technical writing positions or even positions where you would be doing advertising or promotional materials.

the OP would be competing with people with degrees in technical writing and advertising and graphic design. I would think that with those degrees and the internships most take ... Well, the OP may not stack up well.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:16 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
St. Louis, Kansas City, Dallas, Nashville.

These are the types of cities I would look in. Low COL so if you don't find a career right away you can live off of a bartending or server wage.

If you have a roommate you can live for less than 1.5k a month in those cities.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:23 PM

170 posts, read 311,670 times
I would recommend looking into Boston. Yes it is a very expensive city, but the job market is really hot. I wasn't the best student, but I graduated from Penn State with a 3.1 and have no problem finding work here. I moved to Boston in September, and have received 6 offers from 2 different employment searches.

First job I took in October had terrible hours and work load, but I stayed for 7 months. I just went on the job hunt at the end of April and had 3 offers within 2 weeks and am starting somewhere new on Monday.

As long as you have a few thousand saved up for just in case/start up funds, you should be fine.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosicman View Post
I would recommend looking into Boston. Yes it is a very expensive city, but the job market is really hot. I wasn't the best student, but I graduated from Penn State with a 3.1 and have no problem finding work here. I moved to Boston in September, and have received 6 offers from 2 different employment searches.

First job I took in October had terrible hours and work load, but I stayed for 7 months. I just went on the job hunt at the end of April and had 3 offers within 2 weeks and am starting somewhere new on Monday.

As long as you have a few thousand saved up for just in case/start up funds, you should be fine.
If you don't mind me asking, what was your major and what industry are you in? I think part of my trouble is I don't even know what to look for sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search