Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:20 PM

469 posts, read 635,154 times

Advertisements

I was terminated from my job. I was given severance pay and a separation agreement to sign. The letter does not state a reason why I was let go(fired) but that the severance letter statesit is a mutual agreement. I did not hang around asking questions and told them I would go over it at home.The separation and severance agreement does not state a cause.

I started this job through a temp agency then got hired directly to the company 6 months ago. I clearly was fired because my manager hates me and made it her mission to harass me on a daily basis and make up things about me so I know she pushed to get rid of me. That part is over now so I am not trying to re-hash that.

I need help with whether I should tell a potential new employer that I was fired;laid-off;resigned;or job ended so I bounce back and get a new job.

All input is appreciated as I need to figure out the best approach to obtaining new employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,348,059 times
It sounds like this is layoff and not a firing for cause. If it was a firing there would be a reason. State you were laid off and it sounds like that is closest to the truth. Anytime you reveal you were "fired" you become a leper. It might be a good idea though to have a service or friend family member call the company posing as a reference checker to find out what they will say and do not give your bosses number on an application give the HR #.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,222,706 times
"I left my last job by mutual agreement because it was a bad fit. What I learned was..."

Old 05-27-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
"I left my last job by mutual agreement because it was a bad fit. What I learned was..."
Not a good idea. That implies fired and they will pass on you. I know some jobseeker advice articles say articles be 100% truthful and say I learned a valueable lesson. That will not work in real life. Your app will be trashed the moment anyone even thinks you were fired.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 PM

Me and the manager did not get along and she would not just let it be it became an obsession for her(it was kinda scary). Is it possible they get gave me severance and said I could get unemployment to make the problem go away but really did not have anything concrete to fire me? So, do you think it is safe to say laid off?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Not a good idea. That implies fired and they will pass on you. I know some HR articles be 100% truthful and say I learned a valueable lesson. That will not work in real life. Your app will be trashed the moment anyone even thinks you were fired.
Why do the H.R articles tell us to be honest? I think they are trying to get us to make their jobs easier in weeding the ones that were "fired" and filing them in the trash can.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:43 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,839,058 times
Relax. Go with laid off.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Why do the H.R articles tell us to be honest? I think they are trying to get us to make their jobs easier in weeding the ones that were "fired" and filing them in the trash can.
Very few companies will reveal a termination in fact given the OP's company didn't even want to call it a firing tells me they won't. Ever notice how politicians and CEO's always end up resigning to spend more time with family or "the company was moving in a different direction" never he was forced out after a scandal.

Because no article that tells you to lie will be taken seriously. One really has to be keen during a job search what you can get away with and what you cannot as you can be assured the companies doing the hiring know exactly what they can get away with.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM

763 posts, read 2,598,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
I was terminated from my job. I was given severance pay and a separation agreement to sign. The letter does not state a reason why I was let go(fired) but that the severance letter statesit is a mutual agreement. I did not hang around asking questions and told them I would go over it at home.The separation and severance agreement does not state a cause.

I started this job through a temp agency then got hired directly to the company 6 months ago. I clearly was fired because my manager hates me and made it her mission to harass me on a daily basis and make up things about me so I know she pushed to get rid of me. That part is over now so I am not trying to re-hash that.

I need help with whether I should tell a potential new employer that I was fired;laid-off;resigned;or job ended so I bounce back and get a new job.

All input is appreciated as I need to figure out the best approach to obtaining new employment.
If you received a separation notice from your employer that is a requirement of the DOL, it should state on it: (a) if you were terminated, WHY you were terminated (absenteeism, insubordination, etc.) and (b) if you were laid off, it will state WHY you were laid off (lack of work, reduction in work force, etc.) Regardless of the separation / severance letter you received from the employer, they still have to provide you with a separation notice so you can file for unemployment. The DOL will never accept "mutual agreement" as a legitimate reason for being terminated or laid off. That implies that you were in full agreement to leave, i.e., you quit, which bars you from receiving unemployment. You have a right to know.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
If you received a separation notice from your employer that is a requirement of the DOL, it should state on it: (a) if you were terminated, WHY you were terminated (absenteeism, insubordination, etc.) and (b) if you were laid off, it will state WHY you were laid off (lack of work, reduction in work force, etc.) Regardless of the separation / severance letter you received from the employer, they still have to provide you with a separation notice so you can file for unemployment. The DOL will never accept "mutual agreement" as a legitimate reason for being terminated or laid off. That implies that you were in full agreement to leave, i.e., you quit, which bars you from receiving unemployment. You have a right to know.
After the employment agreement and release it has this paragraph that I will write verbatim:

Termination:
You have been advised of your termination of employment from the Company. Your last day of employment is May, xx 2014

Severance Pay:
Then is goes right into this.... blah blah blah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search