Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:37 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,686,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I can speak to the bolded part. When I was applying to NYC jobs with my resume containing my Richmond, VA address I received 0 calls. The moment I changed it to my friend's Brooklyn, NY address Voila! The calls, emails back started coming through and I successfully lined up 2 interviews within a few weeks. Many people say they are going to move, but never actually do so most HR managers don't even consider bringing you in for the interview.

So what are you suggesting? People should move first, THEN get a job? Sorry- but I'd rather have a secured job lined up before I move so if it means being dishonest by adding a NYC address before I actually move there, then so be it. It helped me and I'm sure others. I didn't use a PO box though- I used an apartment address but still....
That's one way of going about it, and even if HR asked why it showed a VA address on your background you could just say you were staying with a relative/friend in NYC for opportunities. That isn't a bad plan, especially now in this economy. A lot of employers are using local candidates now instead of bringing in from the outside. As long as you are willing to relocate at your expense it shouldn't be a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 12:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,404,912 times
Sorry if this point has already been made............don't you think people that lie and cheat are doing this out of desperation? Of course they are, they have to eat just like everyone else. And unless you have a bunch of indigent kids and can live off of swellfare, yeah you are going to have to cut corners because in the last 5 years of economic fun there are several candidates for every opening.

You really believe your snazzy CL is going to win out the other 2 competitors, get real.

I get it. From reading your posts, you are really disconnected from the struggles most have been facing to get a job over the last few years.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:53 PM

836 posts, read 1,027,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I get it. From reading your posts, you are really disconnected from the struggles most have been facing to get a job over the last few years.
Bingo.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:55 PM

836 posts, read 1,027,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
That's one way of going about it, and even if HR asked why it showed a VA address on your background you could just say you were staying with a relative/friend in NYC for opportunities. That isn't a bad plan, especially now in this economy. A lot of employers are using local candidates now instead of bringing in from the outside. As long as you are willing to relocate at your expense it shouldn't be a big deal.
Exactly. It's really not that uncommon to couch surf while you are interviewing/applying to jobs in another area.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM

10,247 posts, read 13,761,827 times
Quote:
I can speak to the bolded part. When I was applying to NYC jobs with my resume containing my Richmond, VA address I received 0 calls. The moment I changed it to my friend's Brooklyn, NY address Voila! The calls, emails back started coming through and I successfully lined up 2 interviews within a few weeks. Many people say they are going to move, but never actually do so most HR managers don't even consider bringing you in for the interview.

So what are you suggesting? People should move first, THEN get a job? Sorry- but I'd rather have a secured job lined up before I move so if it means being dishonest by adding a NYC address before I actually move there, then so be it. It helped me and I'm sure others. I didn't use a PO box though- I used an apartment address but still....
I'm suggesting getting a job before moving like you said. Interesting getting those results from using your friend's Brooklyn address.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:51 PM

490 posts, read 466,820 times
The only way to land interviews outside of your area via applying online is by using someone else's address.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,694,423 times
Quote:
But...but...you *LIED* on your resume to get that job!!!

Old 06-04-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
But...but...you lied on your resume to get that job!!!
Using a friends/relatives address to help you get in the door for an interview vs outright lying about a degree or work experience is slightly different imo...

If you want to relocate, having an address the potential employer is familiar with is huge.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,694,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Using a friends/relatives address to help you get in the door for an interview vs outright lying about a degree or work experience is slightly different imo...

If you want to relocate, having an address the potential employer is familiar with is huge.
It was sarcasm.

The OP earlier insisted that telling an employer you lived one place when you're really in another place is *LYING*, and thus crappy advice to give someone. But obviously that's not true, and it actually worked to that poster's benefit.

Had the poster followed the OP's advice of "good old fashioned persistence", they'd still be stuck in Richmond looking for a job right now.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That was sarcasm.

The OP earlier insisted that telling an employer you lived one place when you're really in another place is LYING!!! But obviously that's not true, and it actually worked to that poster's benefit.

Had the poster followed the OP's advice of "old fashioned persistence", they'd still be stuck in Richmond looking for a job right now.
Agreed. Other suggestions would be finding a current employee/manager on Linkedin and sending them a message expressing your interest in relocating and working for their company.

But yeah the address at the top of your resume is vital for relocation. Having a relative or friend in the area obviously helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search