Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 04:35 PM

80 posts, read 128,655 times

Advertisements

I had an interview on Thursday for a job that I applied for back in March. It was with a local government. The CFO is my former boss at another company. I arrived 15 minutes early; however my interview started 15 minutes late as the other candidate was still in the interview. The other candidate was also a former co-worker. She expressed to me when she came out of the interview that she hopes they don't offer her the position because she's currently content on her job and she doesn't care for the CFO. When I sat down, I was given a list of the questions that would be asked. The CFO was not part of the interview. I did mention that I knew her as she used to be my boss at my previous job. Once I said this, I was asked if I could possibly start in 2 weeks if I were offered the position. The two managers then proceeded to give me a background paper to sign that was notorized on the spot. The previous candidate filled out a background form as well so I'm not putting too much weight on that. They did have 2 positions open: Financial Reporting Manager and Financial Reporting Analyst. The first candidate was the Reporting Manager at our previous job; however she told me she applied for the analyst position because she didn't want the responsibility of being the manager again. Now I'm concerned because we're competing for the same job and she used to be a Manager. I just found it strange that both of us were asked to complete background check paperwork. I thought they didn't do this until they were about to make an offer. Has anyone ever experienced an interview so strange?

Last edited by digg9779; 06-08-2014 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 04:45 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Seems like they like both of you, they are probably just looking into your backgrounds to see if they are legit. Sounds like a close call, but look at it this way. If they choose her as number one, she might decline and stay where she is, so it seems like you might win by default. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:21 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
They want both of you.

When there are multiple positions for the same hiring manager, they will often consider candidates for the other reqs.

They will likely offer the manager job to her, even though she didn't apply for it. If she declines, they might give it to you.

They won't care that you applied for a lower level role. It can be a nice surprise, as you progress up the ladder.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:20 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Sounds like you will be offered a job.

What I find odd(and not quite trustworthy) is this former coworker saying what she said to you.

If she is content with her current job than why is she interviewing?

She didn't know the CFO worked at your former company? You did.

Hopefully you just nodded and didn't say anything back to her when she said what she said.

She's either very dumb or I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her. Keep that in mind if she ends up taking one of the positions and ends up as your manager.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg9779 View Post
I had an interview on Thursday for a job that I applied for back in March. It was with a local government. The CFO is my former boss at another company. I arrived 15 minutes early; however my interview started 15 minutes late as the other candidate was still in the interview. The other candidate was also a former co-worker. She expressed to me when she came out of the interview that she hopes they don't offer her the position because she's currently content on her job and she doesn't care for the CFO. When I sat down, I was given a list of the questions that would be asked. The CFO was not part of the interview. I did mention that I knew her as she used to be my boss at my previous job. Once I said this, I was asked if I could possibly start in 2 weeks if I were offered the position. The two managers then proceeded to give me a background paper to sign that was notorized on the spot. The previous candidate filled out a background form as well so I'm not putting too much weight on that. They did have 2 positions open: Financial Reporting Manager and Financial Reporting Analyst. The first candidate was the Reporting Manager at our previous job; however she told me she applied for the analyst position because she didn't want the responsibility of being the manager again. Now I'm concerned because we're competing for the same job and she used to be a Manager. I just found it strange that both of us were asked to complete background check paperwork. I thought they didn't do this until they were about to make an offer. Has anyone ever experienced an interview so strange?
Companies can do whatever they want. I once had one "hire" me and another woman and have us train for 2 weeks - without pay - at the end of which they announced that they actually only had one position.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Companies can do whatever they want. I once had one "hire" me and another woman and have us train for 2 weeks - without pay - at the end of which they announced that they actually only had one position.
Is that even legal?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sounds like you will be offered a job.

What I find odd(and not quite trustworthy) is this former coworker saying what she said to you.

If she is content with her current job than why is she interviewing?

She didn't know the CFO worked at your former company? You did.

Hopefully you just nodded and didn't say anything back to her when she said what she said.

She's either very dumb or I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her. Keep that in mind if she ends up taking one of the positions and ends up as your manager.
I found her comments odd as well. I didn't say anything incriminating to her but I was bewildered by her statements considering her interview went over and I heard a lot of laughing during her interview. I think she was trying to save face in front of me. I have an MBA in Accounting and she did tell me she was trying to go back to school to get her Associate's degree. I definitely think she knew the CFO worked here because she stated that she didn't want to work with her again.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM

It's official. They called the other woman who didn't want the position and offered it to her. She said she declined so maybe they'll call me now. I don't know if I should be grateful or offended. Guess I'll have to take it if they call and continue looking for something else!!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
If you have an MBA in Accounting, and they offered it to someone who does not have an Associates or four-year degree, it sounds like they feel you're overly qualified for the position.

Keep looking and don't be surprised if they don't contact you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search