Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Thanks for the tips.

Why would it be that bad to apply for a certain job at large company location A and apply for the same job at large company location B (only a 10 minute drive away)? Is it because the same person may get both resumes? These are entry level positions for a college graduate.
If it's the same job, then it's no problem. Apply all day to all different companies and locations. It will be the same resume.

The problem arises when you apply for 2 different job descriptions. Like I said, it's pretty simple. They want to know that you are focused on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
As a recent grad, no. As someone who has been out of school for a while, yes.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:07 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
I think it's fine. I would not hold it against a candidate who applied for multiple openings for which they are qualified.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hello, my niece just graduated from college and is seriously job hunting. She had a question about applying for multiple jobs within the same company.
Example 1-- same job title but in two different locations of the company.
Example 2-- two different jobs (she is qualified to do both) at the same location in the same company.

Her parents and I gave her our advice but we haven't job hunted in 35 to 40 years so we aren't sure that it is the correct, current advice.

Any suggestions for her or things to avoid? She was worried that they may not consider her because she might seem "desperate".

Thank you.
No, they don't care.

I turned down a job for a company, when the job out to be a lower level position.

Four months later, the company emailed me to apply for a higher paying manager's position in a different department. It's a hard to fill position due to the unique subject matter.

As long as the roles are in different departments or hiring managers, you should be fine. If it's in the same department, I wouldn't bother.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Tell her to apply for any open position. I applied to 13 positions at the same company before I was hired.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Just have her be upfront and tell any prospective employer that she is seeking employment not only elsewhere but possibly within that same company too. She can simply say that she is very serious about finding the right position and is entertaining all possibilities.

No one should be upset about that, and I would see it as aggressive and motivated, personally. It is all in how she presents it.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search