Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 PM

158 posts, read 271,088 times

Advertisements

Hmm that's such a hard situation! I would probably keep looking...especially if there are other leads you have. I'm not going to kill myself for not even 60k. And I'm in my 20's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,064,295 times
That salary is not that great for someone with over 10 years experience. It would make a nice step up for somebody moving up 1-2 salary grades, after their first job.

Can you work by remote? Look outside the local area and apply for jobs nationally. Inform any potential inquiries, that you will work only by remote. If they aren't interested, you haven't lost anything.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 PM

254 posts, read 807,089 times
No it is not within salary range I discussed w/ recruiter. I said if the salary was there, the commute would be ok. No, I do not need to decide between having a job in procurement and family! Why would I? I have worked and had family my entire life and not had to choose. I was seeking advice if the 12 hr days etc were worth the salary. I know the decision is ultimately mine, but was interested in what the forum thought. Isnt this the purpose of the forum? To seek advice or ask questions/

Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
No it is not within salary range I discussed w/ recruiter. I said if the salary was there, the commute would be ok. No, I do not need to decide between having a job in procurement and family! Why would I? I have worked and had family my entire life and not had to choose. I was seeking advice if the 12 hr days etc were worth the salary. I know the decision is ultimately mine, but was interested in what the forum thought. Isnt this the purpose of the forum? To seek advice or ask questions/

This is a tough decision. The poster above you asked would they let you work remotely. Have you asked the recruiter to find this out? If they let you say work from 3 days a week would take some of the sting out of the lower salary and save the wear and tear on both you and your car.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:04 PM

399 posts, read 566,259 times
You may want to be very careful with declining a position while receiving unemployment. That's usually a good way to have your benefits terminated.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,370,553 times
I wouldn;t take it because of the long hours and because of working in a trailer.

OP - I can tell you wouldn't have a problem if it was only the pay and the 1 hr commute. Your issue is the cramped trailer and the 10 hour workdays and the fact that you must bring laptop home daily and work each night.

I would keep looking for the right opportunity. This isn't it.

1 hr commute isn't the issue IF the opportunity is right, IMO. I could tell you don't want this job, OP.

This was in your first post: "I am looking for happiness and less stress in my job". Well, you know it isn't going to be the case if you take this job...working 10 hrs in a TRAILER and then 2 hrs commute each day, plus bringing your work home with you. What do they expect, eat dinner after dark with your laptop open and finish up work as you are heading to bed? Because that's what it will be. Then in 2 months you will be wanting to resign but then you will be worried about NOT getting unemployment due to resigning.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:48 PM

Right On. You really helped me make a decision swear2cod - with how you just worded that. Thank you for your input!!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 PM

You can not be denied.unemployment in my state if the commute is more than 45 min and it is a large salary cut from your most current position.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,884,657 times
Make a counter offer with a more appropriate pay and/or conditions.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:59 AM

291 posts, read 503,674 times
Even if the pay was good, the hours seem ridiculous. 10 hours at work (sometimes Saturdays), 2 hours commute daily, and they STILL want you to answer work-related emails at home? Oh hell no. I get that the commute is not their fault, but still, answering emails after work hours... what is so important that it can't wait till the next business day for an answer? Good God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search