Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:58 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times

Advertisements

If you've been unemployed for a long time in this economy sure enough most employers you deal with if not all employers you are dealing with are guilty of this or some form of it. What is your opinion on employers/HR types that treat job applicants (potential employees) with a bad attitude, rudeness, deception, or irresponsible behavior like not returning phone calls, or following through on certain promises. I think it's really telling how some job ads will say that you need good communication skills but yet the manager/owner/HR of the business will deliberately never follow through with someone as promised.

What do you think? Is it not employers, but people in general? Was it always this way even when the pendulum was on the other side? Will it ever change or is it part of the game (the new normal)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:18 PM

151 posts, read 424,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
If you've been unemployed for a long time in this economy sure enough most employers you deal with if not all employers you are dealing with are guilty of this or some form of it. What is your opinion on employers/HR types that treat job applicants (potential employees) with a bad attitude, rudeness, deception, or irresponsible behavior like not returning phone calls, or following through on certain promises. I think it's really telling how some job ads will say that you need good communication skills but yet the manager/owner/HR of the business will deliberately never follow through with someone as promised.

What do you think? Is it not employers, but people in general? Was it always this way even when the pendulum was on the other side? Will it ever change or is it part of the game (the new normal)?
It seems like peoples' attitudes relate to the quality of the job. If the hiring manager has a good job at a good company, he usually has a good attitude. And people with bad attitudes usually get stuck at the lower rung, left-over jobs.

I personally, just don't deal with those kinds of people/companies anymore. The second I get the feeling that someone is BSing me or giving me a bunch of hoops to jump though or just asking pointless HR questions, I just walk away.

I won't work for a company that treats me like just another sheep in the herd rather than an actual company asset. There's too many good jobs out there to be wasting my time at crappy ones.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post

I get the impression you are referring to people who do not return calls and do not get back to you, as promised, with regard to whether or not you got the job. Are there other issues beyond those?

If those are your two complaints, I'm not sure I would categorize this as having a bad attitude toward job applicants, or being rude or even irresponsible. Discourteous, perhaps.

I know members of my team do not always get back to people, and there are a few reasons for this. One, it may be their intention to get back to those people who were brought in, but not everyone always gets that far down on their list of things that need to be done.

Secondly, if you knew how many people became angry and argumentative and even vulgar when told the company went in a different direction, you might understand why they wouldn't be in a huge hurry to get on the phone to share bad news. It's one thing to ask how they fell short and what they could do to improve their resume or interviewing skills, but angry commentary is uncalled for.

Finally, because of some unsavory things disappointed applicants have done with email addresses, nobody wishes to reply via email either.

I have suggested they send a letter, which would take them out of the loop, but so far nobody has implemented this procedure and I save my mandates for issues that have broader impact or deal with more pressing issues.

Are those the issues you're talking about, or is there more?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I don't think you can make such a broad generalization. I was treated just fine by everyone I was in contact with when looking for a job in 2008-2009. Since working here I have hired a few people and find that our HR staff treat them very well and stick to what they say. Perhaps a bigger, less personal company is more likely to have a poor attitude, especially if they don't like to hire people that have been out of work a long time, but some of it could also be the sheer numbers preventing them from giving the level of service they did in better times.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM

41 posts, read 52,054 times
It is a thug's game now - both interviews and jobs.

I've been without consistent work now for nearly two and a half years. I've gotten two jobs since then (both full-time) where the employers treated me like crap and almost refused to train. There was no accountability on their part. I ended up getting let go from one and walked off the other. Interviews have nearly all felt cold or weird in one way or another.

The difference in the past was that there was always some company that would come out of the woodwork that was decent and appreciated me and brought me onto their team. Now, that doesn't happen. It hasn't materialized for me this time.

I had a great, consistent, work history before 2012 where I was never out of work more than six months and continuously increased my knowledge and job skills during that period of time. My roles were always steps up from previous places at each of the companies I worked for. I was always very conscientious and dedicated to my employers and roles and my morale for many years was very high.

Now, my morale is in the toilet and I feel like I'll never work again. Like all of that was for nothing. I don't think the problem will get fixed unless the government does something or some type of new laws change things. I don't know what needs to happen really but this is just impossible and demoralizing. I've seen this kind of behavior in two different parts of the country I've lived in since 2012. My mom has also been out of work for over a year now and she has nearly twenty years of experience in her field.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:17 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Attitudes are contagious, both ways.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:20 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
It's always a two-way street, but someone is getting paid and the other is not. HR complains about applicants applying and often times say why would we ever waste our time replying to them? It's a simple thanks, but no thanks that's all. People invest their own time in applying to a company where they will ultimately spend the majority of their time, away from family nevertheless, and HR is going to sit there and say nothing...nadda. It's rather rude, and one side is getting paid to NOT do anything.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:33 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Agreed. HR should be responding, as it's their primary task. All I know from a hiring side is that I posted a job, received 90 or so applicants in a week, and after spending my time going through them, under 10% were even remotely qualified. I think so many people are shotgunning applications that they don't even read what they're applying for.

I deserve the response for wasting my paid time, when all these idiots are applying for everything.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I've just come to the conclusion there are an insane number of sociopaths in authority as hiring managers and HR. I have also frequently had to put up with crap, have my time wasted, or finally had to walk away from companies with really bad hiring officials.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:52 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I've just come to the conclusion there are an insane number of sociopaths in authority as hiring managers and HR. I have also frequently had to put up with crap, have my time wasted, or finally had to walk away from companies with really bad hiring officials.

I second that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search