Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
They were able to make their decision quickly because you were the last person they had to interview. If you were the first, you would have had to wait for everyone else. Sorry you didn't get the position but the timeline makes perfect sense to me.
Not sure why they even told him to wait a week for then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Chances are they had already pretty much decided to select another candidate, but didn't want to cancel your interview.

It's disappointing, but it really doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, so don't let it set you back.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
They were able to make their decision quickly because you were the last person they had to interview. If you were the first, you would have had to wait for everyone else. Sorry you didn't get the position but the timeline makes perfect sense to me.
^ This

Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I wonder, 5 people. Does anyone know how that would work? I presume they would vote and if the candidate gets 4 yes and 1 no, he will get the job, vice versa...
Our department has a form that interview conductors fill out. The form rates the candidate on 9-10 different areas, with a rank from 1-5. The interview team discusses the candidate after he/she leaves, then fills out the form on their own based on their impressions as well as follow-up discussion with other interviewers. Highest score usually gets the job although the top boss of the department does have final say. Sometimes the top boss agrees with the interviewers, sometimes not. Only a couple of times since I've been here has the top boss gone against a low score and still hired the person in question. A couple of times she has said no to a high scoring candidate, too. But I'd say 90% the highest scoring candidate gets the job.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:27 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
two rejections in a year? When I was looking, I was getting two per week. And this after phone interviews, and in-person interviews. One was with a panel of 11 people at once! Thought I had it, but I think they had another candidate in mind, but let me tell 'ya: I really gave 'em something to think about. . .

Get a good night's sleep and when you wake up early and get moving, just remember to tell yourself: "today's my day!"

DO send them a thank you note, telling them that you truly enjoyed meeting everyone and was greatly looking forward to helping their organization reach their goals and beyond. You never know: more positions may open up or their primary candidate might not work out.

Oh, and ALWAYS end every interview with a firm handshake and eye contact and the phrase: "I'm very much looking forward to working with you and this organization." You want them to KNOW that in your mind, that you're already thinking in terms of getting the position.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:42 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post

Oh, and ALWAYS end every interview with a firm handshake and eye contact and the phrase: "I'm very much looking forward to working with you and this organization." You want them to KNOW that in your mind, that you're already thinking in terms of getting the position.
Maybe shaking hands isn't such a good idea if you've been coughing

Old 06-12-2014, 02:46 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I wonder, 5 people. Does anyone know how that would work? I presume they would vote and if the candidate gets 4 yes and 1 no, he will get the job, vice versa...

And OP I think someone before you impressed them with their qualifications and that you were called in just to see how you do, but you didn't convince them enough. It happens, screw them and move on, you'll get something soon.
I've on the other side of that as part of the 5... although we don't do the round table thing here. Generally, we look for a concensus, but a 4-1 vote could work, depending on who the 1 was..... an it wasn't the senior manager

Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 PM

399 posts, read 568,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
My GF told me these are actually illegal questions to ask since they do not pertain to the job specifically.
Don't listen to your girlfriend. She can't be more wrong about that. She's obviously not an employment attorney, nor does she work in HR.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
I've been turned down on plenty of interviews. Keep plugging away and don't give up. But I would also consider bringing that bottle of water with you.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Don't listen to your girlfriend. She can't be more wrong about that. She's obviously not an employment attorney, nor does she work in HR.
Haha... I was going to post that I hope she is not an attorney, because they are going to starve!

The hobby question is a great one, actually. I love to get that one, and I love to ask it. You can learn a lot about someone through what gets them excited.

The women one... I have asked something similar, especially to younger males that might not be used to that kind of work environment. Clues them in to the culture of the place/department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search