Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:35 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times

Advertisements

This is due to a defect in mainstream American culture, lack of self awareness and modesty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

In capitalism companies are suposed to select employees based on merit and their ability to bring value to the company. Unfortuinately one of the dysfunctions of our economy is the inability to select for and promote merit and instead politics, cronyism, and neopotism. I would hate to even begin to calculate the efficiency and money lost because of this failure.

No, they're supposed to select the best person for the company, but that is a far cry from the one with the most merit. Very often the most technically skilled, the brightest, the one with the most ability, is not the best person for the company within a specific position. Only going with the brightest or the one with the most merit will destroy you.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Introverted or not, if a person cannot clearly articulate what they have accomplished in previous jobs, then I cannot consider hiring them. They need to be able to communicate and do so with confidence. This is a company, not a cloistered monastery.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,891 times
It is because narcissists are often manipulative and far more socially adept than modest introverts. It is the same reason narcissists can be good salesmen. Actually, sociopathic behavior works well in all the fields of manipulation via communication: media, PR, marketing, advertising, and so on.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:27 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
We had a kid a year out of college who came in for an interview last week, and even though he had the technical ability to do the job, the whole team gave him a thumbs down because he came across as cocky, not confident. There comes a point where confidence turns into cocky and I think that's where the article misses the point.
We've done the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
What gave this person away as cocky? Was it they insisted they knew it all? Was it they didn't give experiences that involved team roles?
When we've decided someone was too cocky, it's been due to some/all of the following:
- smirking
- cocky body language during interview (leaning back in chair, turned partly away from interviewers, hands tented Mr. Burns' style or folded behind their head)
- acting like a know-it-all and God's gift to the human race
- telling too many stories where they did the business equivalent of delivering a baby with a butter knife in the middle of a crowded fast food restaurant, especially if they're a new graduate/have limited experience
- "mansplaning" (this has happened before, most notably when a new grad decided he knows more than one of our senior engineers -- who is a woman.)

I'm sure there's other instances, but I can't think of any right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Introverted or not, if a person cannot clearly articulate what they have accomplished in previous jobs, then I cannot consider hiring them. They need to be able to communicate and do so with confidence. This is a company, not a cloistered monastery.
Let's not confuse shyness with introversion. Big difference between the 2. Sure, there are shy introverts -- and there are also shy extroverts.

I'm a huge introvert, and yet I do quite well on job interviews and in the corporate world. I work with a fair amount of introverts, too.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM

144 posts, read 264,189 times
Why would narcissists be considered a threat to Asian applicants? Humble or not, wouldn't most Asians have a better chance at being hired because of their high GPA and work ethic stereotypes?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM

211 posts, read 266,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This has to be one of the most misleading articles I have ever seen. From the article:

What they are talking about is confident, outgoing people, not narcissists. No where in this article is any narcissistic behavior even described.

I'm guessing this was written by someone from one of the more subdued cultures, viewing confidence as narcissism.
There's a high correlation between confidence+extroversion and narcissism though.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Job interviews reward narcissists, punish applicants from modest cultures

"A University of British Columbia study finds that narcissistic applicants are more successful in job interviews than equally qualified candidates who act more modestly. The findings suggest that applicants from cultures that place greater emphasis on humility, including some Asian cultures, may have a harder time landing a job in North America."
Right, that would explain why Asians struggle so hard to find economic and career success here. Alas, one hopes they will some day achieve the same median income levels as their white counterparts.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Right, that would explain why Asians struggle so hard to find economic and career success here. Alas, one hopes they will some day achieve the same median income levels as their white counterparts.
I would argue it's that H1B that is more of the problem.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM

211 posts, read 266,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You're not comparing apples to apples. Asians have a much higher college graduation rate than whites, for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search