Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:22 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A University of British Columbia study finds that narcissistic applicants are more successful in job interviews than equally qualified candidates who act more modestly.
The findings suggest that applicants from cultures that place greater emphasis on humility, including some Asian cultures, may have a harder time landing a job in North America.
"A job interview is one of the few social situations where narcissistic behaviours such as boasting actually create a positive impression," says UBC Psychology Prof. Del Paulhus, the lead author of the study. "Normally, people are put off by such behaviour, especially over repeated exposure."
Job interviews reward narcissists, punish applicants from modest cultures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Another syndicated story from reddit...

Old 06-16-2014, 02:53 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
There are limits though... don't go into job interviews asking stuff like
Please make sure I speak with an engineer. I don't want to waste my time with an HR person.
I'm here to take over your job because you can't seem to do it.
Etc.

I suppose a narcissist would know how far to push it without going overboard.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
It certainly makes sense. To be successful in an interview you need to be able to BS and portray yourself as the best employee in the history of man and that your current company would be devasted if when they hire you and you quit them.

Basically interviews are set up to select for good BSers, narcissists, extreme extroverts and punish shy introverts who are often very good at what they do.

That is a significant reason why many companies make dissapointing hires. They select for BS rather than work skills [though for certain functions like sales those are primary work skills].

Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 AM

20 posts, read 76,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It certainly makes sense. To be successful in an interview you need to be able to BS and portray yourself as the best employee in the history of man and that your current company would be devasted if when they hire you and you quit them.

Basically interviews are set up to select for good BSers, narcissists, extreme extroverts and punish shy introverts who are often very good at what they do.

That is a significant reason why many companies make dissapointing hires. They select for BS rather than work skills [though for certain functions like sales those are primary work skills].
Took the words right outta my mouth.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
"Narcissist" is a poor word for the concept being described. One needs to be able to sell an employer on his/her technical ability, likability, and value they bring to the team. This requires a genuine confidence in one's own abilities, but no one likes a braggart or someone who is extremely selfish. If you are too caught up in your own self-importance, that's viewed negatively.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 AM

80 posts, read 128,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

I agree with you. I'm an introvert, yet I always turn out exceptional work. I've been unemployed since February and have gone on numerous interviews with no offer as of yet. All the BS artists that I know have been able to obtain employment right away. I guess I need a class in how to become a successful BS portrayer before my next interview!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
This has to be one of the most misleading articles I have ever seen. From the article:
Quote:
Videotapes of the interviews were later scored by a team of raters. Narcissists tended to talk about themselves, make eye contact, joke around and ask the interviewers more questions. As a result, the study found that people rated narcissists as more attractive candidates for the position.
What they are talking about is confident, outgoing people, not narcissists. No where in this article is any narcissistic behavior even described.

I'm guessing this was written by someone from one of the more subdued cultures, viewing confidence as narcissism.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
I'm going to disagree and here's why. Are there some people out there that lie to get employment? Sure. However, the biggest point of winning the in-person interview is your PERSONAL skills. I have friends that have high level degrees and can't land a job for jack, and quite frankly their personal skills are horrendous. If you are an introvert I would start there. People want to relate to each other, find common ground, have similar tastes and experiences. They don't want to be talking to a robot. Really, would anyone want to spend 40+ hours a week every week with a robot? No, absolutely not.

Furthermore, what makes you think you are the only one capable of performing top-notch work? Everyone that comes into interview is just as capable, as outlined in their skills/experience on their resume.

The introverts that sit around thinking high and mighty as if they are gods gift to the world are the ones that are narcissists.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
What the article is talking about is people with an exagerated sense of their own worth ie narcissistic, arrogant, megalomaniacal etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search