Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM

493 posts, read 978,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Who's lying? If you're accusing me of that, then that certainly is not the case. I've been studying a couple of languages and performing exercises. What good is having the skills and knowledge if it doesn't get you an interview
I think he was referring to the fact that you asked "how does one "bs"" To BS somebody meaning to lie or mislead.

Tech is a fast moving world, unfortunately decade old academic knowledge won't take you too far.

And while it is true that some places claim to be entry-level but require some past experience, not all companies operate that way. There are plenty that look to hire inexperienced but knowledgeable programmers. In those cases you will have two challenges:

1) Proving that your knowledge is still up to snuff with all the changes in the field
2) Explaining the gap between graduation and now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 04:29 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
I think he was referring to the fact that you asked "how does one "bs"" To BS somebody meaning to lie or mislead.

Tech is a fast moving world, unfortunately decade old academic knowledge won't take you too far.

And while it is true that some places claim to be entry-level but require some past experience, not all companies operate that way. There are plenty that look to hire inexperienced but knowledgeable programmers. In those cases you will have two challenges:

1) Proving that your knowledge is still up to snuff with all the changes in the field
2) Explaining the gap between graduation and now

That's why I put "bs" in quotes, as I've learned long ago that being too honest is very detrimental to me getting interviews. For example, if they ask if I have experience, I'll say yes, unless they specifically ask for "work experience". I'm shooting myself right from the get-go I've heard and read plenty of cases similar to this where what they knew was more than sufficient for the job. Sometimes it's not, but I don't want to be crossing off such opportunities right from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search