Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

It's funny to me you're OUTRAGED and SHOCKED that they may have had MORE QUALIFIED candidates the first round but they're WILLING to give YOU a chance in the future if the first round doesn't work out.

How do you know you were the BEST ONE for the job?

Because obviously you think so....

Old 06-17-2014, 11:32 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg9779 View Post
I had a phone interview for an Asst Director of budget position with a local college. I did my due diligence and sent a thank you email shortly afterwards. I received the "rejection" email this morning from the director. It stated that they had chosen all the candidates that they had planned to come to the college for an on site interview. Needless to say, I wasn't one of the chose candidates for the on site interview. The email went on to say that if none of the invited candidates were a "fit", they would go back to the phone interview pool and invite other candidates for an on site interview. I guess I should be happy that he let me know that I had not been chosen. On the other hand, what a slap in the face to say that you'll be sloppy seconds if another candidate doesn't fit (look the part) the position. This college definitely has an ego problem!!
Well, sounds as though they informed you of the process. But when you think about it, when an employer contacts you for a second, third, or final interview, and/or offers you a job, you usually don't know whether you're the first choice, second string or somewhere down the line, maybe the last choice, and the other candidates who might have been chosen ahead of you didn't work out for some reason. And it doesn't really matter, you got the job. Things move on from there, but it seems to me, that if you let your ego get in the way of accepting a good job because you weren't the first candidate they chose, you're only shooting yourself in the foot.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Thank you for your sarcastic response. The POINT I was making wasn't that they let me know where I stood. I was saying that I would be a back up just in case someone else didn't "fit"!! Before you start belittling me for my opinions and experience, try reading my full statement in the right context!
So, you're just saying that you resent not being considered as the first and best applicant with that job. Well, you might be, or you might *think* you should be, but if you're unemployed and looking for a job, you'll only drive yourself nuts with that attitude. And if that attitude comes across to any potential who employer who interviews you, it might not go well for you then, either.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
By your reactions to the 2 rejections you described where other people were chosen I would say you have a bit of an emotional overreaction or attitude going on. I understand the frustration of being out of work & going a long time with no job (believe me I've been there too) so I will give you a pass for being disappointed.

But if this is indicative of your everyday attitude I think you might want to work on that, both responses you got were courteous & professional & businesslike, they didn't just blow you off. Best of luck to you going forward.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
digg, you're getting slammed by us pretty hard here. If you're just disappointed and tired of the hunt and venting, we get that. If you really think handling it this way is offensive, that's something else.

Are you certain you really know what the source of your feelings are?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Thank you for your sarcastic response. The POINT I was making wasn't that they let me know where I stood. I was saying that I would be a back up just in case someone else didn't "fit"!! Before you start belittling me for my opinions and experience, try reading my full statement in the right context!
What it sounds like they were saying was " You don't have ALL of the qualifications we are looking for and we want to see if anyone else has a few more of them. But if not, we may still be able to use your qualifications and build on them if it's necessary."

Shame on them for trying to cover their bases all the way around.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
What it sounds like they were saying was " You don't have ALL of the qualifications we are looking for and we want to see if anyone else has a few more of them. But if not, we may still be able to use your qualifications and build on them if it's necessary."

Shame on them for trying to cover their bases all the way around.
Why shame on them?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Why shame on them?
Sarcasm?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
"I'm Retired Now" strikes again. . .

Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
I had a phone interview for an Asst Director of budget position with a local college. I did my due diligence and sent a thank you email shortly afterwards. I received the "rejection" email this morning from the director. It stated that they had chosen all the candidates that they had planned to come to the college for an on site interview. Needless to say, I wasn't one of the chose candidates for the on site interview. The email went on to say that if none of the invited candidates were a "fit", they would go back to the phone interview pool and invite other candidates for an on site interview. I guess I should be happy that he let me know that I had not been chosen. On the other hand, what a slap in the face to say that you'll be sloppy seconds if another candidate doesn't fit (look the part) the position. This college definitely has an ego problem!!

Now THAT'S ego talking.
Are you saying that if they offered you employment next week, you'd turn them down because you don't want to be their second choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search