Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
Aren't they applying for the same jobs for which immigrants are also applying?

If some happen to not be as competitive or as qualified to do the job(s), does that mean there was/were no job(s) for them?

Immigrants aren't the problem here.
Actually they are. They're given a work Visa and to gain entry into the US take a below market salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:16 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
They work harder for less pay, is that the problem? I see that as strong competition.

Young Americans born here need to understand the competition and reassess their strategy to get the job. Also, so many young Americans think they are too good for jobs (IMO), they can just live at home until their 40.
They undercut in the construction industry at prices that others cannot compete with because they are living 5-10 to an apartment. Very unfair competition and driving out good people.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
The problem isn't immigrants. The problem lies with companies who refuse to train and yet they want the fridge and kitchen sink for their positions.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
I don't believe illegal immigrants are filling the jobs that require a college degree, a couple internships, and knowledge of various software applications.

If someone is a legal immigrant with the right to work in the US, then it's a fair competition. American workers have to be competitive.

Although, I believe this thread is nothing more than a veiled racist attempt to stir ill feelings toward immigrants.

Since it's Friday, I'll leave you with this:

Southpark - They Took Our Job! - YouTube

Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
They work harder for less pay, is that the problem? I see that as strong competition.

Young Americans born here need to understand the competition and reassess their strategy to get the job. Also, so many young Americans think they are too good for jobs (IMO), they can just live at home until their 40.
They work harder for less pay because they are illegal and have to avoid those employers that e-verify. Employers that don't e-verify are looking for such employees. Those that are legal and take these jobs receive public assistance to fill in the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Hmm, are you saying CIS might be biased? Surely not!

Recently we've had published studies that apparently prove immigration actually improves employment in a country so I guess it just depends on which article you read that reinforces your preconceived ideas.
I haven't seen these published studies. What I see with my own eyes and have seen in more than one state and more than one city is that employment of illegal immigrants keeps both wages and benefits at a minimum, add to that a large amount of the wages go into Mexico and are not spent locally thereby destroying the local economy. Poo on studies, I live with this and see the devastation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
They undercut in the construction industry at prices that others cannot compete with because they are living 5-10 to an apartment. Very unfair competition and driving out good people.
Exactly. Roof contractors are a major component here. Prices for having your roof done have not went down but the labor cost has. And, it is not skilled and the work is poor but many have no choice but to use whoever they can contract with because the reputable contractors are becoming few and far between. All we have to do is take a walk and you see 4 to 6 vehicles per living unit, sometimes more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
The problem isn't immigrants. The problem lies with companies who refuse to train and yet they want the fridge and kitchen sink for their positions.
The problem lies foremost with companies that do not e-verify.

I have seen what dependence on illegal labor has done and it destroys the town and the surrounding area. It has been interesting to see and we look forward to a quick sell of our house this summer.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When so many young Americans complain their is no jobs for them, apparently they are right, if they live in an area of lots of immigration both legal and illegal.
They're only right because THEY KEEP SAYING THAT. You control your life by the words you speak and the thoughts you think. So if someone says "I can't find a job, life is so hard for me" then that is what life will deliver. Change your words, change your life. Until this generation starts having some faith, they won't accomplish anything.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 PM

291 posts, read 392,269 times
The Seattle Times did an excellent article on labor shortages in Eastern Washington. They talked to farmers who did practice preferential hiring of citizens, particularly with local drivers' licenses and who were enrolled in colleges. These farmers were on the books, in the paper, and putting themselves out there as willing to pay.

Sometimes, the workers would quit due to injury, or say they couldn't continue.

Other times, they refused to take the temporary positions that are filled by migrants who leave children behind with elderly relatives. Most Americans can't do that as their parents are working.

Local News | Washington apple growers scrambling to find workers | Seattle Times Newspaper

Last edited by MmeZeeZee; 06-27-2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling, wording

Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
They're only right because THEY KEEP SAYING THAT. You control your life by the words you speak and the thoughts you think. So if someone says "I can't find a job, life is so hard for me" then that is what life will deliver. Change your words, change your life. Until this generation starts having some faith, they won't accomplish anything.
Faith doesn't pay the bills...

Old 06-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
before welfare we didn't have an immigration problem...
why would anyone work their finger to the bone, when they can get as much or money for watching TV

Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
So people are really linking to National Review on here, huh ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search