Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:18 PM

834 posts, read 1,212,868 times

Advertisements

Being overworked blurs one's self perception.

You maybe overestimating your value and skills. You have NOT been hired by anybody else, right?

How about getting your job structured in a better way? Make suggestions to your boss how and what would benefit the company by you i.e. doing more management and less production. They certainly don't want to have you burned out or delivering shoddy work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 PM

3,890 posts, read 6,803,407 times
I do have a college degree and I am in a very specialized technical field within the ecommerce industry. They cannot replace me with anyone. I know a proprietary platform that probably less than .5% of America knows. Pair that with the fact that I know their specific account 100% and I am pretty irreplaceable. I am not one to kid myself.

Regardless, there are a lot of job openings for people with my skill set because of the boom currently occurring within the ecommerce field and due to so few people being experienced in it. So I have had a few interviews and I just applied to three more jobs today, so I have stuff moving. Its just an excruciating feeling to think I am working this hard and getting paid diddly, which is why I was contemplating. Obviously none of you think its a good idea so you matched my intuition, but man I would really enjoy putting it all on the line in another life.

It just sucks thats all. Was wondering if I could make it suck less by getting more money...

Old 06-27-2014, 11:30 PM

850 posts, read 1,024,309 times
Does anyone at your workplace know you post on CD? Did you ever mention winning $500?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,001,331 times
I'd just ask for a raise, what's the worst that can happen? Outline all you do and why you think you should be earning more. If they have such a high turnover they might be willing to keep you then. If they say no then continue looking, but don't say "pay me more or I quit."

Old 06-27-2014, 11:54 PM

820 posts, read 1,206,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Don't kid yourself into believing this because it is not true. If you quit they will replace you within days and they will more than likely hire 2 or 3 people and pay them less. Everyone can be replaced when it comes to working for someone else.
You can demand all you want but be prepared to get nothing and continue to work the same as you do right now.
You should also be prepared to take a number at the unemployment office as well just in case your demands are booted out of the door along with you.
True, everyone is replaceable in business.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Yup, I definitely wouldn't lie about an offer, because the above could take place and then you'd be out of a job.
Exactly. I wouldn't look for a replacement to be a jerk, but I also wouldn't want someone on my team who didn't want to work for me.

Then again, I wouldn't ask my people to pull 60-hour weeks on a regular basis.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:22 AM

469 posts, read 636,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Does anyone at your workplace know you post on CD? Did you ever mention winning $500?

hmmm...loose lips sink ships

Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times
I remember hearing the phrase "in order to be competitive I would need XYZ dollars (from current company to stay)..." rather than saying "the other guys offered me ABC dollars...". That way you aren't necessarily lying...you are just taking all things into consideration when making the counter offer.

With that being said I would absolutely NOT threaten to quit without another real job. You could easily find yourself jobless.

Last edited by joe moving; 06-28-2014 at 04:46 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 06:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
[quote=ChiGuy2.5;35423897]I do have a college degree and I am in a very specialized technical field within the ecommerce industry. They cannot replace me with anyone./QUOTE]

You can repeat it endlessly and can believe it with all your heart but although you may well be important to the company you are NOT irreplaceable, as was pointed out earlier.

Have you ever formulated and presented to management a well documented and feasible plan to adjust and reorganize your workload to make it less stressful but at the same time not cost-prohibitive to the company?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,090,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I suppose its important to note that its such a specialized job that there is nobody who could ever replace me. Not saying I am that great, but I am the only one who knows the work inside and out. Plus I am underpaid as is for all that I do so even if they happened to find someone with my expertise, they would have to pay them more anyway.
With highly specialized positions, it's a small world. During job interviews, I have often come across hiring managers that were former co-workers with my current supervisor.

All the managers would have worked at the same company at some point in their careers. They could verify the job offer without anything formal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search