Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Accounting. I'm not going to cancel, especially if it's only on the phone and I don't have to go anywhere. It it is a double standard however.
I'm going to be really honest with you. If you're a crybaby about this kind of thing, you're going to be miserable in any working environment because you view things using a barometer of what you think is fair to you, and you put yourself on equal footing with people who have different needs and priorities.

The world does not revolve around one person expecting a phone call when there are more pressing things that may have come up. Being flexible is the first rule to learn if you want to have a successful career.

And this is coming from someone who is more people-oriented than 90% of those you'll find in the business world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM

617 posts, read 935,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm going to be really honest with you. If you're a crybaby about this kind of thing, you're going to be miserable in any working environment because you view things using a barometer of what you think is fair to you, and you put yourself on equal footing with people who have different needs and priorities.

The world does not revolve around one person expecting a phone call when there are more pressing things that may have come up. Being flexible is the first rule to learn if you want to have a successful career.

And this is coming from someone who is more people-oriented than 90% of those you'll find in the business world.
I hit a nerve. My suggestion to you is you should avoid making bold statements of people you don't know and have no knowledge of. It is not credible.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I hit a nerve.
Actually, it looks like I did.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 PM

4,338 posts, read 4,702,346 times
Quote:

This is so common now! We have people who get slighted when they don't get a "thank you" email for providing the service they were hired to do!

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM

670 posts, read 1,041,728 times
This sounds like a very busy office to me, and hiring the new employee is probably low on the "to do" list. You need to show them that you are a flexible person...and not a temperamental one who gets his feelings hurt when the schedule changes. Things do come up in offices. It probably had nothing to do with you, and I would not consider it a red flag.

When you finally go in for the interview, if they mention the fact that they needed to reschedule you, just say "Happy to accommodate your schedule."

Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Perhaps they are understaffed, which is why they need to hire new employees. Stay on this. If you don't hear from them, it's not out of line for you to contact them again and ask when this interview can be rescheduled. Be persistent but VERY polite. And remember that Friday is a holiday, so many offices might have weird scheduling due to vacation days taken in conjunction with Independence Day. You're correct in assessing that this is not a level playing field. But it never will be. They have the money and you want the job.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:36 AM

928 posts, read 1,098,965 times
Quote:

Wow, that is the most presumptuous and rude thing I have heard on these forums. How is the OP being a cry baby? It is a question of courtesy and respect. Interview cancelled not once but twice. Fyi, the OP doesn't work for them yet so he/she is under no obligation to tolerate this. If the OP was hired and was paid then it would be ok to tolerate a superior being late or blowing them off. Not in this case.

I have been through stuff like this. I take time away from my busy day to accommodate someone looking for a good candidate. I expect the other side to do the same. They are not more important than me. They posted a job listing, I responded so its a two way street. You have to think long and hard if that is how you want to start off a relationship with someone.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Wow, that is the most presumptuous and rude thing I have heard on these forums. How is the OP being a cry baby? It is a question of courtesy and respect. Interview cancelled not once but twice. Fyi, the OP doesn't work for them yet so he/she is under no obligation to tolerate this. If the OP was hired and was paid then it would be ok to tolerate a superior being late or blowing them off. Not in this case.

I have been through stuff like this. I take time away from my busy day to accommodate someone looking for a good candidate. I expect the other side to do the same. They are not more important than me. They posted a job listing, I responded so its a two way street. You have to think long and hard if that is how you want to start off a relationship with someone.

If you think mine is the rudest post you have ever seen on these forums, you haven't been reading much.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:04 AM

617 posts, read 935,657 times
So 15 minutes before the rescheduled interview, the hiring manager calls and cancels. He said he needs to wrap things up. He said he was going to email me his flight itinerary and hopefully we can talk before he boards. He has not sent that to me either.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM

928 posts, read 1,098,965 times
Quote:
So 15 minutes before the rescheduled interview, the hiring manager calls and cancels. He said he needs to wrap things up. He said he was going to email me his flight itinerary and hopefully we can talk before he boards. He has not sent that to me either.
According to MPowering you should offer to kiss their feet for the privilege of even considering an interview with a lowlife such as yourself. Their time is clearly way more important than yours so suck it up and don't be a whiny baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search