Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:10 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
While some areas have a glut of applicants in all disciplines, when someone is looking for a job they best not keep their focus on the "nicer districts". In general, there is a shortage of Science and Math teachers at all levels and an abundance of English and History teachers.
That still depends on the area. Special education has a high demand there's no doubt about that. STEM depends because we've been hearing about a STEM shortage now for 80 or so years.

Also consider this
Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O

"In over half the states in the union, civics education is not required. "

It's hard to argue that there's abudence of history teachers when HALF the country does not require it. What do you think will happen when they do

As for English well ESL can be pretty big in immigrant communities. If you can't learn English then everything is off.

Besides if a student really wants to learn science then they pretty much have to learn history and civics or else how are they supposed to apply for funding and patents etc. Without English how are they supposed to compose formal writing? If you cannot write it then you cannot get approval for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 11:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
That still depends on the area.
Do you also not know what "in general" means?

It does not mean 'specific to any one or all areas'.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:04 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Quote:
A Masters degree will get you more money where I live. The problem is, there has been an abundance of English and History teachers for years. Math and Science are the disciplines they struggle to find teachers in.
Schools aren't hurting for science and math teachers in areas where there aren't great science and math jobs.
In Minnesota the average "science and math" salary is not that much better than a teacher's salary so there is no problem finding math teachers. Not to mention the U of MN cranks out thousands of teachers per year when there are only hundreds of jobs available.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
A Masters degree will get you more money where I live. The problem is, there has been an abundance of English and History teachers for years. Math and Science are the disciplines they struggle to find teachers in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
While some areas have a glut of applicants in all disciplines, when someone is looking for a job they best not keep their focus on the "nicer districts". In general, there is a shortage of Science and Math teachers at all levels and an abundance of English and History teachers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Schools aren't hurting for science and math teachers in areas where there aren't great science and math jobs.
In Minnesota the average "science and math" salary is not that much better than a teacher's salary so there is no problem finding math teachers. Not to mention the U of MN cranks out thousands of teachers per year when there are only hundreds of jobs available.

Wow. I hope you guys aren't all teachers.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:36 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
One of my friends explicitly got his job as a teacher because of the masters in education. He had a BS in a hard science field. In Tennessee, teachers are being hired left and right.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM

This is above average, but according to one website, the very large high school my kids attended have a faculty where more than 80% have their masters degree. First year salaries for those with a bachelor's degree is $52,298 vs first year for those with a master's degree, which is $58,574. Also more than likely higher than many, thanks to our obscene property taxes, but even if lower, I wouldn't be in a hurry to dumb down the resume.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
"Do you also not know what "in general" means?

It does not mean 'specific to any one or all areas'."

True but not much is generalized these days. I remember when I did retail and people would say their door is "general" or "run of the mill", "ordinary" or "regular" size. I tend to deal with specifics myself.

To be honest I would say that the pay rates of what you report are roughly in line with what exists where I am. Some pay might also depend on stipends as well. Clubs, sports and events can add up.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,910 times
Quote:
This is above average, but according to one website, the very large high school my kids attended have a faculty where more than 80% have their masters degree. First year salaries for those with a bachelor's degree is $52,298 vs first year for those with a master's degree, which is $58,574. Also more than likely higher than many, thanks to our obscene property taxes, but even if lower, I wouldn't be in a hurry to dumb down the resume.

This makes me wonder if they were hired in with a Bachelors and then finished their Masters or if they were hired already having their Masters degree.

Beginning teaching salaries in my corp with a Bachelors degree start at $30k and go up to $35k with a Masters for the first year.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
"Do you also not know what "in general" means?

It does not mean 'specific to any one or all areas'."

True but not much is generalized these days. I remember when I did retail and people would say their door is "general" or "run of the mill", "ordinary" or "regular" size. I tend to deal with specifics myself.

To be honest I would say that the pay rates of what you report are roughly in line with what exists where I am. Some pay might also depend on stipends as well. Clubs, sports and events can add up.

Now, mdovell, we're talking about me here, not people from your retail days! In general, I'm in the middle about most things, generally speaking.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
So my friend has her bachelors in English, her teaching credential, then went back (I don't even know why) and got her master's in higher education (I think that's what she called it).

She's been looking for AGES for a job, she works now at some school putting together schedules or something like that, very low pay, of course has over $30k in student loan debt now, etc. Her husband is also school in school and works as a server.

Anyways, she talked to me yesterday asking what she should do because nobody will hire her or give her the time of day.

I finally told her (after looking at her resume) to remove her Master's degree. She was actually shocked I suggested this, first time she heard it. I told her I think that if she took it off, she would be seen as less expensive. I think her dream is to eventually be head of a school department or something, and I told her while her education would definitely take her down that path, to now say she's got that master's degree would just make it harder for her to get something entry level.

She was worried a potential school would find out about her master's, but I told her they won't search for it unless she puts it up.

Bad idea? I told her take it off, get her foot in the door, and then a few years later if a higher position does open up, then apply and put the master's on her application/resume and it will show experience and education.
What!!! What are you thinking. Why would anyone dumb down their resume. Seriously, who would do this. She has a masters in education and you don't even know what that means. I hope she didn't listen to you because clearly you don't know what you are talking about. Schools want a person who have higher education so please stop advising her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search