Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I wouldn't assume that if the process took three or four months, that the company was waiting for the perfect candidate.
When you say "the process", do you mean going through all of the bureaucracy of bringing on a candidate that was selected, or a position remaining open for 3 or 4 months because the company can't find a "good fit" for the position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Corps are doing a terrible job at evaluating an improving job market. Being ultra picky in 2009 make perfect business sense; it makes far less sense in 2014. They are , in many cases, having the perfect become the enemy of the good.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:35 PM

659 posts, read 940,658 times
I also take serious issue with companies requiring skills that's not even in the job description (example: requiring manager level skills for a receptionist posting) or requiring years and years of experience in a specific field that's meant to be entry-level (hence why they pay $9 an hour, but requires a Bachelor's Degree).

Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's absolutely true. See post #11.
It is NOT TRUE, I can't hire just anyone off of the street because just anyone off of the street does not have the specific skills I need and they cannot be "close enough", there is no close enough in my profession.

It is exact and specific to what is required by law, by me and by the company I am leased on with.
Whether you want to believe it or not this is the reality of some employment positions.

I would venture to guess that I could not hire you for the position I currently have open.
I would be very surprised if you have one of the skills needed let alone all of the requirements.

It is also not a position I can afford to let go unfilled, I am forced to let it go unfilled until I find the right person with the exact skills who can meet all of the other legal requirements.
So as difficult as it may be for you to believe this is the reality of being in a profession that has specific requirements and skills.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Hiring a poor or even just "okay" candidate can run costlier than just waiting it out.

I had to train a woman once who wasn't up to par - she lasted about 3 weeks. I couldn't do it. They gave her to my coworker to see if it was poor training - it wasn't. He had her a week, and she was let go. 4 weeks at $20/hour, me at $25 for 3, and him something like 25-30. Factor in hiring costs? $10k+ worth of waste on someone who wasn't fully qualified but they gave her a chance. We did 44-66 hour weeks on shifts.

I'm all for chances but hey, it wasn't my money. Who is going to risk that twice????

$10k in frustration could have been averted by waiting a bit linger.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I can't hire just anyone off of the street because just anyone off of the street does not have the specific skills I need and they cannot be "close enough", there is no close enough in my profession...
Quote:
...It is also not a position I can afford to let go unfilled, I am forced to let it go unfilled until I find the right person with the exact skills who can meet all of the other legal requirements....
So which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Either you can afford to let the position go unfilled until you find someone who's a "good fit," or you find someone who's a not so "good fit" and train them if you can't afford to let the position go unfilled.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Either you can afford to let the position go unfilled until you find someone who's a "good fit," or you find someone who's a not so "good fit" and train them if you can't afford to let the position go unfilled.
What part of this are you not understanding? Do you understand clear, concise English? Are you intentionally making it appear that you cannot grasp the exact meaning of what I have written?

I can have it both ways because I HAVE to have it both ways and it has nothing to do with someone being a "good fit". I don't care if they are a complete donkey IF they are completely qualified skill wise and legally I would hire them. I won't have to deal with them on a daily basis so I don't care what the basic personality is.
Besides, I am more than sure I am currently and have always been a bigger biatch than them and much better at it.

I cannot for any reason hire someone who is not qualified as required by the position and by law.
When I say I "can't afford" to leave the position unfilled it simply means the position not being filled is cutting into my profit margin, so no I cannot afford financially to let it go unfilled indefinitely. Legally I am forced to let it go unfilled and take the hit financially.

Is that clear enough for you?
If not then I have nothing else to offer as an explanation because it will then be obvious you will never understand or choose to understand exactly what I have said more than once on this thread.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Just out of curiosity what do you do for a living?
Then I can tell you if you would be a "good fit".
I seriously doubt it but there is a slim chance.

So, what skills do you have that can enhance my company and make it better?

Don't forget to include your age and education as well.
Thank you in advance.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:49 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I also take serious issue with companies requiring skills that's not even in the job description (example: requiring manager level skills for a receptionist posting) or requiring years and years of experience in a specific field that's meant to be entry-level (hence why they pay $9 an hour, but requires a Bachelor's Degree).

I have seen those too.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what do you do for a living?
Then I can tell you if you would be a "good fit".
I seriously doubt it but there is a slim chance.

So, what skills do you have that can enhance my company and make it better?

Don't forget to include your age and education as well.
Thank you in advance.
You're getting off-topic. What I do for a living is not relevant to the discussion.

I'll repeat what I said:

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search