Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 PM

284 posts, read 640,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreak02 View Post
If you represent the company, they have the right to ask for that information. Just like you have the right to refuse submitting it. If you don't want to be thought of as someone who parties 24/7, complains 24/7, or spreads gossip..perhaps you should change your profile a bit.

A coworker of mine showed me some photos from a 4th of July celebration..he was passed out on the floor drunk with a puddle of vomit by him. Keep in mind his job involves driving on a daily basis..if I was his manager and saw it, I'd probably have a come to Jesus with him about it. Looks really bad not only for himself, but the company. It's the same reason my company has a policy against wearing any clothing with company likeness in a bar/club.
so he was celebrating independence day and got hammered? thats normal. do you equate that with him being a reckless drunk that could end up being harmful to himself and others?

this brings me to another question! once you are a part of these companies/jobs why do you have to suppress who you are and stop enjoying life bc any little thing could be a bad look for the company ? i really would like to know how these type of situations are ran in other countries because in Europe i would envision workers getting hammered without a care in the world. is the workplace elsewhere more liberal than here in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
I expect prospective employers to look me up. I just hope they have the proper judgment to figure out if what they find is me or not. I have a fairly common name, but no Facebook profile. If they find a FB profile with my name, it is someone else. Same goes for Twitter or Instagram. That's my only concern. I don't want someone else's actions to affect my image.
Very true. My name isn't common, so this isn't my concern, but you make a very good point. What if they find 50 Kevin Smith's. I suppose it's useless then. I think it's a little overboard to do this as an employer.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM

49 posts, read 66,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't know what you mean by going on a rant about something. People rant all the time. It depends on what they're ranting about.

It's generally people on my team who do this now, but if applicants have posted comments that are racist, homophobic, offensive toward women or religious groups, they're out. If their spelling is bad, we won't bring them in. If they're posting about drinking or drugs, we won't bring them in. If you're looking for a job and are that stupid, we don't need you.

Sometimes we'll find someone on mugshot.com. We may or may not call depending on what they were charged with. I won't go into the details on that because some of the charges are automatic no's and others are open for discussion among the team based on a number of factors.

We also do additional screening by phone. If we call someone and they don't have a more professional sounding voicemail message or are difficult to understand or don't speak using proper English, we tell them we're just calling people at this point and will decide who to bring in later.

We couldn't care less what your marital status is or if you're living with someone and not married, what your religion is or if you're openly gay. It's about ruling out anyone who could potentially be a problem and those who lack enough common sense to clean up their act in order to get a job.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
What are you looking for? Would you disqualify someone if they went on a rant about something? Discriminatory things? Threats of violence? What if they have their relationship status on there - would that matter? Married, single, gay...
We just look up their name and see what we find on Google, Bing, Copernic. We don't care whether they're LGBT, what color they are, how short/fat, a hundred kids, etc.

Most of the time it's innocuous. Links to Facebook, MySpace, and/or LinkedIn, posts to sites like pregnancy forums, automotive repair forums, and the like. Sometimes I find articles they have commented on, but I only take that with a grain of salt because I must be able to verify that person is the same (by a picture, or real address, or something).

Basically, what I am looking for is how is this person in real life? Are they combative online or are they respectful? Do they curse other forum members or do they calmly argue with well-thought-out points?

I've only once seen stuff that made me think twice about hiring someone, and that was because he was vitriolic in almost every post I found (to the point of trolling), and in the picture I saw of him he was dressed like a gang member holding a machine gun. About two months after we passed on him, he was arrested for gang activity involving armed assault.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM

49 posts, read 66,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
so he was celebrating independence day and got hammered? thats normal. do you equate that with him being a reckless drunk that could end up being harmful to himself and others?

this brings me to another question! once you are a part of these companies/jobs why do you have to suppress who you are and stop enjoying life bc any little thing could be a bad look for the company ? i really would like to know how these type of situations are ran in other countries because in europe i would envision workers getting hammered without a care in the world. is the workplace more liberal than here in America?

I wouldn't say it's normal to get hammered on Independence Day. If you're too stupid to realize that making all of that information public for the entire world to see could be problematic, I can't help you.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
Quote:

this brings me to another question! once you are a part of these companies/jobs why do you have to suppress who you are and stop enjoying life bc any little thing could be a bad look for the company ? i really would like to know how these type of situations are ran in other countries because in europe i would envision workers getting hammered without a care in the world. is the workplace more liberal than here in America?
I agree, just because I chose to get drunk every Friday and Saturday night and sleep the weekend away, doesn't mean I'm not the best person for your job. I have as much chance to become an alcoholic and unproductive as the next guy who doesn't post his weekend drinking binges on FB. It's not fair to eliminate someone based on what you post online, unless you have this same information for everyone. Is nothing off limits anymore. How I spend my personal time shouldn't be the employer's business unless I'm wearing clothing with the company log on it or driving a company car. It's ridiculous, they can't own every second of our time.

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:

This is not new. Examples of employees getting fired after posting certain things on Facaebook are on the news all the time.

12 examples of people getting fired over Facebook | WHAS11.com Louisville

Are you saying that you are seriously SO concerned about it that you would rather move to another country? Why not just set your profiles to private? Or stop posting unflattering photos? Or stop getting so hammered that your "friends" would take pix of you surrounded by vomit?

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Since we are bound to get the "That's just one more excuse for employers not to hire you" crowd, my advice to anyone who feels that way is - become a manager responsible for other people and accountable for the health of a department and do whatever you'd like with regard to hiring people.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:40 PM

284 posts, read 640,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreak02 View Post
I wouldn't say it's normal to get hammered on Independence Day. If you're too stupid to realize that making all of that information public for the entire world to see could be problematic, I can't help you.
its normal. however taking a pic of it is something i personally would not do.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Makes sense. However, I'm sure there are some out there that won't bring someone in based on marital status, sexual orientation etc. I guess if you ever plan to get a job, you better hide all that on your social media pages.
My daughter is gay, and neither she nor her partner of 7 years thinks this way. Not everybody is out to get you (not you personally, but in general), but as soon as you start assuming the worst, the worst will happen because it shows in your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search