Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 AM

284 posts, read 641,154 times

Advertisements

like seriously!! whats up with employers these days ??! its like they try to write you before even giving a person a chance! what purpose does this serve? why is it necessary for you to have links to my twitter, Facebook, instagram, etc. i really think this is an invasion of privacy! ugh i honestly wouldn't be surprised in the future if they make this a mandatory thing. so stupid! i wonder if they do this in other countries? or is it just americans that are super nosey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:39 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,282 times
Totally ridiculous. I'd never even consider asking for that.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
They want to know what kind of a person you are, not just what skills you have, but are you a nice person? Or are you antagonistic? Sometimes that can be gleaned from looking at your profiles.

I'm not hiding anything, I don't care if they see my social profiles.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
That is ridiculous. I can't imagine any company asking for the links!!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,170 times
I've never been asked to provide them, and have only seen occasional stories about companies requiring such things. I always had the impression that it's a real rarity or edge case for a company to demand such.

Actually, I guess I could see how they might ask for the url to your LinkedIn profile, given that's meant for professional networking. It's actually relevant, and unlike Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest, I doubt anyone has anything on their LinkedIn other than purely professional stuff.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:56 AM

49 posts, read 66,286 times
If you represent the company, they have the right to ask for that information. Just like you have the right to refuse submitting it. If you don't want to be thought of as someone who parties 24/7, complains 24/7, or spreads gossip..perhaps you should change your profile a bit.

A coworker of mine showed me some photos from a 4th of July celebration..he was passed out on the floor drunk with a puddle of vomit by him. Keep in mind his job involves driving on a daily basis..if I was his manager and saw it, I'd probably have a come to Jesus with him about it. Looks really bad not only for himself, but the company. It's the same reason my company has a policy against wearing any clothing with company likeness in a bar/club.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,797 times
just tell them you don't have any and then go and deactivate them all. once you know you have the job, reactivate them again. lol. why do they need this info? why is it any of their business what you do on your off time? what were they doing to find out about a candidate before facebook was invented?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,783 times
I've never seen an application that required the information. It was optional. Of course there could be some applications that require it. Really, it wouldn't make sense to me unless you were applying for a job involving social media. The only link I ever provide is LinkedIn. Deleted my Facebook over 3 years ago and never looked back. I know many people who won't get involved in any way with that website.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,560 times
Even if they don't ask, chances are someone in the hiring process is going to check you out on social media. I know of at least one case in my department where two people had pretty equal qualifications. The hiring manager looked them up on social media and was unimpressed with what he saw for one (I think it was drunk pictures, but I can't remember now); the other got the job.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
It's the first thing we check after we approve a resume.

Usually you don't even need links; you can just look people up.

Better clean up your act!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search