Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times

Advertisements

No better time than the present to stop making excuses and get after it. Who knows? Maybe she can turn this into a business that makes her an excellent living if she pushes for it hard enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
There are no call centers in the Houston area looking for any warm body?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessJennifer View Post

I'm also limited because I am without a vehicle but I try and work around that the best I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is likely your problem. Not having a car means you can only apply to jobs within a specific geographic area...where you can either walk, bike or take public transportation to/from work. There are probably many available jobs that would hire you but you cannot apply there without a car because you couldn't get to/from work.
I think that some of the posters are being rather hard on the OP. She explained how she is very helpful to her grandmother, does chores around the house, pays for her own expenses and tries to be very considerate.

Although some cities have great public transportation in most areas of the city, a lot depends on where you live in a specific city. I live in a suburb of a fairly large city but it is a mile walk to the closest bus stop and even then it would take one or two bus transfers to get to many areas of the city. I remember when my daughter was looking for a part time job and was checking out one possible job with an unfamiliar address. It turned out that it would take 90 minutes to get there by bus, IF, you were even able to make the connections and it certainly was not within biking distance (obviously, she crossed it off her list).

And there is no bus transportation at all to the big "industrial parks" on the outskirts of the main city where I live. Many of the call centers are located there. Depending on where the OP lives in Houston it probably is pretty similar. In some big cities you can be pretty limited without a car (unless you happen to live near a major bus route).

Some posters gave the OP some great job hunting tips as well as tips to help grandma know that she really is looking for a job. I am sure that the OP appreciates and will use those tips.

OP, I wish you good luck on your job search. Hang in there!

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-16-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
It has little to do with any of that.. I read these forums when I get the chance and a lot of people are out of work. "Tough" has nothing to do with it. Sometimes it's about chance.

I'm sensitive and depressed... but I keep trying. It's all I can do.

Thanks.
AliefISD and many other school districts are looking for substitute teachers. You can accept or decline any sub position. It pays fairly well.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
I'm about to turn 24 and I live with my grandmother. She let's me live in her home, rent free, while I am finishing up school and looking for a full-time job. However, I feel very pressured to find work and she's pretty unsympathetic to my search.

I have five years experience as admin assistant, as well as two retail jobs (Walmart and a seasonal job at a clothing store). My seasonal position ended back in Feb and since then I have not been able to find work.

At this point I'm not even sure I should finish my degree. What if I still can't find a job?

I just need a $12/hour full-time position and I can move out. I live in a huge city (Houston) and I can't find anything! I've tried recruiters, job agencies, Craigslist, Indeed, Monster, the green sheet and still no luck. I have had a few interviews and while the people interviewing me have claimed to love me, they chose not to hire me.

I need advice as I have no idea what to do.
How about CNA? I just looked on Indeed.com and it lists over 100 CNA jobs in Houston.

Even the lowest 10% are earning $25,000/year which is $12/hour in Houston.

Certified Nursing Assistant Salaries in Houston, TX | Salary.com

Many CNAs start working part-time, and there is always a need for those who will work overnights or evening shifts which would be perfect for a student.

CNA training usually requires a month or so of classes followed by a written and a skills test. The tuition is reasonable and often there are grants available for low-income people.

If you have been seeking employment since Feb. without success it is time to broaden your search. Have you been focusing on administrative assistant type positions?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,393 times
Hi, OP, I love your handle, as I am also jobless and I have your first name!

Did your grandmother happen to grow up during the Great Depression years? I would assume she did; as my grandmother, who would be 93 now if she were alive today, was a child of the Depression. If so, then she oughta know that what yours and my generation is going through is a helluva lot like that time! So I would think she might be a tad more sympathetic, no?

Hmmm...I am surprised you aren't having much luck where you live, as Houston is a big town and Texas is an oil patch state?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
There have to be.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:18 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
and easier to get to and fro than all over town toting cleaning supplies.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:32 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Indeed.com shows over 3k call center jobs available in Houston, TX.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Hi, OP, I love your handle, as I am also jobless and I have your first name!
I would never name myself Jobless, because that would infer that I am going to remain that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search