Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:34 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingnyc View Post
Yes I am sick of those Indian recruiers. Also I find it funny that my caller ID has picked up a call from Singapore and Romania, and the guys say they are talking in the US but using VoiP. (and they actually say VoiP like it's a word...voyp
That's how you say VoIP. You pronounce it out as voyp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Basically you're surrounded by it all day at work...in poorly-written e-mails, phone conversations, etc. Also, Indians LOVE to talk on the phone. Anyone who's worked in a room full of H1Bs would agree. They take calls in English out in the hall or in the bathroom, and calls in their languages at their desk. They seem to think if you can't understand them, it means you can't hear them either.

#amirite
I know. ALL THE TIME WITH THE PHONE! What are you talking about ten times a day!

Old 04-07-2022, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 423 times
one actually called me and his first question was what is my date of birth? I told him that I think it’s illegal in this country to ask someone’s age. He called back 30 minutes later and asked for the last 4 of my social security number. I explained that I don’t give out personal information especially over the phone WITHOUT an offer. That information can be provided during the on-boarding process after the offer was made and accepted.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:53 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraughter View Post
one actually called me and his first question was what is my date of birth? I told him that I think it’s illegal in this country to ask someone’s age. He called back 30 minutes later and asked for the last 4 of my social security number. I explained that I don’t give out personal information especially over the phone WITHOUT an offer. That information can be provided during the on-boarding process after the offer was made and accepted.
That's supposed to be a "safer" thing to do. Problem is, some SSN still have "set" digits for the first 5, for the place that issued them, so they can still figure out what your whole SSN is anyways.

On a related note, this used to come up with I was working with the more unscrupulous staffing agencies (3rd party, not in-house), but they'd used to ask for managerial level professional references right from the start. I've learned not to give these out until I've had at least one interview with the hiring company, although I've been told in similar.. wait until before the offer comes in.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:55 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
That's supposed to be a "safer" thing to do. Problem is, some SSN still have "set" digits for the first 5, for the place that issued them, so they can still figure out what your whole SSN is anyways.
This works only if you still live in the place of your birth. Move to another area and oops, this doesn't work.

Old 04-09-2022, 02:23 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
This works only if you still live in the place of your birth. Move to another area and oops, this doesn't work.
With some investigation, this can be figured out. Where you grew up, where you went to high school, etc. I hear the SSA doesn't do this anymore, so it should increase the security in that regard

Old 12-16-2022, 12:14 PM

317 posts, read 307,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
With some investigation, this can be figured out. Where you grew up, where you went to high school, etc. I hear the SSA doesn't do this anymore, so it should increase the security in that regard
You're exactly right. I remember in elementary school 40 or more years ago we had a teacher that was able to do this off the top of the dome. He'd ask for the first 3 of our SS and by that he'd tell us where we were born. Of course as kids we all thought it was so cool. But honestly now that I think about it, I've got no idea how so many of us at that age knew our SS#. I remember I did though, perhaps it was used with school registration more back then. I'm sure kids these days have no idea, and that's probably a good idea to keep those numbers secure for as long as possible.

Old 12-16-2022, 02:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya View Post
You're exactly right. I remember in elementary school 40 or more years ago we had a teacher that was able to do this off the top of the dome. He'd ask for the first 3 of our SS and by that he'd tell us where we were born. Of course as kids we all thought it was so cool. But honestly now that I think about it, I've got no idea how so many of us at that age knew our SS#. I remember I did though, perhaps it was used with school registration more back then. I'm sure kids these days have no idea, and that's probably a good idea to keep those numbers secure for as long as possible.
Your first 3 of your SS were the US state it was issued in. This moved to random numbers a while back. You were required to use that number over and over:>) Not so much nowadays.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:01 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,136,350 times
outsourced jabronies in a call center. I may humor the person for a minute or so, but eventually blow them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search