Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't get it either. It's a ridiculous Catch-22. The company says, "We want X years of experience for whatever position." How do candidates gain experience unless someone is willing to hire them without it first? Then they remain unemployed because they have no experience in ANY position, then pile on another disadvantage due to gaps in employment. Then they still have no experience in whatever position they're applying for. Lather, rinse, repeat. I have great sympathy for currently unemployed people in our country.
This problem (the catch-22) has always existed, but it has quadrupled in size lately.

Looking at the big picture, for the first time in history, we have a unique quagmire with such a huge supply of relatively skilled workers combined with the record amount of outstanding debt individuals and businesses find themselves buried under. Generation Y is really the first generation to deal with this quagmire.

This not only stifles potential capital investment that would generate sufficient job growth, but it allows companies to be extra picky in who they choose for the few jobs they do create.

Yeah, it's true that past generations (baby boomers for example) faced the catch-22 that it takes experience to earn experience, but they were also around in a time where people and companies weren't buried up to their eyeballs in debt (and thus weren't afraid to make grandiose investments that lead to ample job creation) and only a very small portion of the workforce was skilled, which meant companies had to lower their expectations for the quality of employees they would find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Apply. One never knows what will happen. Maybe the others who applied had less experience than you have. Plus another position may have opened in the interim.

HR was one of my father's jobs. He always said he asked for everything, knowing he wouldn't get it. Gave him lots of wiggle room on who he selected for the position.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
YES. Every interview is an opportunity if you're alert.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:03 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Frankly one way around it is volunteering. Local governments can sometimes have endless boards, non profits look for assistance etc.

The other way around it is simply get a group of people that know how to do a given task. Say programming, accounting etc. You start up a non profit and undercut prices of what other firms would charge. Gradually that builds up a portfolio.

This then illustrates that people can work together, sell and make a portfolio.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
Another vote for yes.

In spite of certain criteria, I would rather have someone who is ambitious, eager to work, and learn, and applying when you might be slightly under-qualified, qualifies you as ambitious.

I hire (mostly) for attitude, then train for specific skills.

If you're WAY out of the ballpark, I'd vote no, though. However keep this in mind: some recruiters and hiring managers have friends and colleagues who do the same. While the one to whom you are applying might not have something for you, they may have colleagues who do. And, if you stand out, all the better.

Imagine this call between recruiter/hiring manager colleagues: "Imagine the coconuts on this guy. He was underqualified, but I thought I'd bring him in for a look-see. He's not a good fit for my current openings, but he had the balls to come in here and apply anyway. He was bright, articulate, asked good questions. Thought you might have something for him. . . ".

Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM

75 posts, read 104,355 times
Just get out there and start applying! If you can hand deliver a resume or fill out the application at the companies human resource office you might make a good first impression just talking to the receptionist. I worked as a receptionist for an oil company and a young woman geologist brought in her resume. She was from South America and I knew one of our senior geologist might be interested in her resume because she could speak Spanish and they were drilling in her country. I called him down to the reception area and introduced them. He was thrilled that she came from the same country that he came from and was exploring for oil. He told her he needed a geologist that understood the land and people to secure leases, exploration activities, etc. She was hired the next week and was so grateful that I introduced her to her new boss. Back in those days, women had a hard time getting a job in a man's world. So don't just shoot resumes out into cyber world. Knock on doors, network, be flexible to working off shifts, and apply for anything that you think is related to your field. Every job is a building block to the next job. Also, sometimes you have to apply for a job in a town or state that is not your first choice. You might have a better chance applying in places that are less desirable vs. Hawaii or California! Good luck and don't get discouraged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search