Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times

Advertisements

On Thursday I came across a job that interests me greatly. (For anyone who comes across this post in the future, today is Wednesday of the following week). The job description is not dated, but it appeared to be a fresh posting when I first saw it—as in I can’t find any older references to the job archived anywhere. Anyhow, I jumped into action and had an online application, new resume, and a cover letter submitted by Friday afternoon.

As I was working on the application process, I read a ton of different articles about how to write a successful cover letter. One thing that most if not all of the writers stressed was to include a statement about when you will follow up. Following that advice, I mentioned at the end of my cover letter that I would be in touch “next week” to discuss my application.

Now that “next week” is beginning to wind down, I’m not entirely how to proceed. I want to make sure my application was received and also demonstrate my enthusiasm for the position, which is both vast and sincere. But how do I go about it? I have done some digging around on LinkedIn and I think I have figured out who my boss would be if I were hired—this person mentions “training and mentoring” members of the team I would be joining. But I don’t know for sure that I would report to this person, nor do I know if she is actively involved in the hiring process.

Long story short: how do I know whom to contact about my application? (Obviously there was no contact person named in the posting or I wouldn't be in this predicament.) And when I do speak with someone, what should I say to them?

Any insight would be much appreciated. I am still somewhat new to this whole process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
You could contact HR, make sure they got your info, and ask to leave a message indicating interest in the hiring mgrs vm

Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
If you are on Linkedin, look for the job there. Sometimes next to the job posting they will show the person who posted it. If you don't have a paid account and cannot send a message, then try and google 'email person's name + company name' and see if anything comes up.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Thanks you both for chiming in!

I don't believe the job has been posted on LinkedIn, or if it has I am somehow unable to find it. I do have a paid account--as of last week--so if I could find them, I could contact them.

I just want to make sure I am doing all I can, within the framework of what is expected of and appropriate for applicants.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,989 times
Following up is gonna make you look desperate. If they want you they'll get back to you.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Following up is gonna make you look desperate. If they want you they'll get back to you.
This advice is contrary to virtually every bit of advice I have come across in my extensive research, as well as the personal experiences of myself and my the people I know. You have to do something to distinguish yourself from all the other resumes in the stack, and having an actual human-to-human interaction with a decision maker is one way of accomplishing that. I may be on the green side when it comes to seeking professional employment, but even I know that someone who sends out applications and waits passively for the job offers to roll in is going to be waiting for a long time.

For anyone who happens to be curious, I sent an InMail to the person who is potentially the supervisor of the open position not addressing her as a supervisor but just introducing myself and asking her opinions on a few organizational things I had been wondering about. I also called the general company phone number yesterday and asked to be connected to whomever would be in charge of hiring for the role I am interested. I didn't get to speak to her, but I did leave a voicemail expressing my interest and confirming that my application had been received.

We will see how this all turns out, but I am confident that the response to my extra efforts will be either neutral or positive. I'm not worried about appearing "desperate"--don't companies want to hire people who want to work for them?

Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 PM

147 posts, read 215,569 times
I followed up my application with a call about a week later. I also made sure to send thank you emails the same day I had my first interview and the day I had my second interview. I thanked the interviewers and made sure to include how exciting and worthwhile I found the prospect of working for their company. It must have worked because I start my new job on August 4th!
I wish you the best and I hope you get it!!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Unless it’s someone you have a connection with or know the hiring mgr, I wouldn’t write in the cover letter that you will follow up – not in this very beginning stage. Now you are left to chase in order to fulfill what you said. A more appropriate place for that type of statement is the thank you letter that follows an interview.

Since you said you would, go ahead, but don’t go overboard by contacting everyone and anyone. Reaction can be positive or neutral but can also be negative.

It’s early, your hopes sound high. Calm down, move on, put in more applications.

Best of luck.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
I would send a thank you email a day after the interview. Then about a week later a followup call to thank them again and ask the status of the position should be plenty. This is how I've always done it and it seems to work well. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 PM

182 posts, read 477,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Unless it’s someone you have a connection with or know the hiring mgr, I wouldn’t write in the cover letter that you will follow up – not in this very beginning stage. Now you are left to chase in order to fulfill what you said. A more appropriate place for that type of statement is the thank you letter that follows an interview.

Since you said you would, go ahead, but don’t go overboard by contacting everyone and anyone. Reaction can be positive or neutral but can also be negative.

It’s early, your hopes sound high. Calm down, move on, put in more applications.

Best of luck.
I was kinda wondering the same thing. I've never really heard of following up during the application process and PRIOR to being offered an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search