Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 AM

469 posts, read 637,149 times

Advertisements

A very good question I ask when they ask me if I have any questions for them is:

Yes, what are the three main competencies you consider crucial for this position and are looking for in a successful candidate?

The question benefits you in the following ways:

1. They always look at me a little startled as they need to THINK about a solid and articulate answer.

2. It allows me to know what it is they want; if I have shown them that; and if I am seriously in the running.

3. If I accept the position, I know exactly how to approach the job when I start because they already told me the three main competencies they want me to focus on.

4. They will remember you because you asked a question that made them think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:47 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I know this may not sound related but when you see yourself in photographs are you intense and serious? Do you have a fake smile? When someone takes a picture of you, if you pretend you're looking into the eyes of someone you love, say your mom or your very best friends, your smile will look great!

Even if you don't smile a lot naturally, you should look pleasant.

"..and if I smile, tell me some bad news before I laugh and act like a fool..." The Who

Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Try googling the phrase "bitchy resting face" - there is a whole lot out there on the internet about this phenomenon

As someone who tends to have a BRF myself, it helps to learn how to keep a slight Mona Lisa smile on your face to offset it, and after a while it becomes habit.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Thank you! I've always known that I had a "bitchy" face and never tend to smile unless I'm given a job offer etc.
There's a new term people are using now "resting bit*h face" ...google it

Some contestant on Food Network show "Next Food Network Star" said she had the same problem after her critics pointed it out!

FWIW, we train the phone company people to SMILE on the phone which somehow works by softening the tone in their voices.

It may be an exercise worth doing privately or with your friends.

ROLE PLAY all these interviews you have with people who know you and get their feedback or VIDEO yourself if you want.

You may be able to develop a slight smile that'll work without turning on a toothy grin.

Older women loose elasticity in their mouth area which is why so many people say middle aged women look miserable but it's not really that way. So they have to compensate by intentionally coming up with a facial strategy so ya might as well prepare for the future!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
A company was holding interviews at my alma mater for a few entry level positions this Monday. I met with him (HR manager) and the hiring manager and had a 30-35 minute interview. I got a call back right now saying that I have moved onto the next stage (in-person at the HQ). However, he gave me some feedback.

He said that I looked really nervous during my interview, and that I needed to smile more. I wasn't as nervous during this interview since the interview was more of a conversation. So I can't even imagine how I looked during some other interviews I've had. I don't have a heart throbbing smile by no means, I hardly ever do smile, you can say that I have a pretty serious face. The interview is next Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how I can use these next few days to improve on my smiling and not looking as nervous. Nowadays I usually go into these interviews knowing I won't get a call back, but I still tend to get quite nervous and forget to smile.

Thanks for reading and for your time.
Excercise for at least an hour prior to your interview. You will blow off some of the "edge" and the endorphin release will help you smile.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I see. I'll definitely keep that in mind during the interview. Thank you.

Some weird facts about this upcoming interview. The folks that are to interview me are based in another state (Chicago) according to Linkedin. And I was told I'm the only candidate for this job at present, so I think it's possible they're flying to just interview me.

Secondly, I applied for this job 30+ days after it was listed on their website. Usually jobs are filled before then, in my neck of the woods.

During conversations with friends, I usually smile only when there's something funny said, but I usually don't smile unless I haven't seen them in a long time. I'll definitely have a friend help me out, it'll benefit us both as we're both currently job hunting. Thank you.

Or they'll be there for something else anyway. Usually they don't fly in, they fly people to them, and it's usually a higher level job they do that with. So either they'll be in for something else, or when you get there, they'll have you skype from a conference room or office. So mentally prepare for that possibility.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Fake it til u make it, hunni.

When meeting someone just smile and shake their hand.
You dont have to smile throughout the entire interview, but it helps to smile at the beginning...and at the end as the interview wraps up.

Smile at the beginning when meeting new people. Smile if jokes are made or if something is said that perhaps interests u.... Also, when thanking them for their time at the end...SMILE... shake their hand again, smile and thank them for their time. That's it.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Or they'll be there for something else anyway. Usually they don't fly in, they fly people to them, and it's usually a higher level job they do that with. So either they'll be in for something else, or when you get there, they'll have you skype from a conference room or office. So mentally prepare for that possibility.

Agree, in fact it is probably the latter. That is why Chicago was mentioned. OP will be taken into a conference room and will be doing a Skype interview.

It would have been better if this was made clearer to the OP, but I am guessing the person arranging this figured mentioning Chicago was enough.

OP, in the future ask for clarification so you know what exactly you will be walking into. Also if it does end up being Skype smile even a little bit more.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:39 PM

250 posts, read 693,742 times
My suggestion is for you to not focus on smiling when you first meet the interviewer, but that you focus on being genuinely glad to meet him or her. Your gladness will automatically show on your face and likely include a smile. Even if a smile doesn't automatically appear, your gladness will show in your eyes, which is far better than a fake smile. If you don't think you're ready for this yet, then focus on being glad to meet him or her and smiling with your eyes. Let go of the pressure to smile with your lips.

I'm thinking you should be genuinely glad to meet him or her because it means you have already achieved this interview and it gives you the opportunity for a job you may be interested in, maybe even one you will love. That would make me very happy and pleased to meet this person.

The same with an answer to where you see yourself with this company in 5-10 years. Be aware of the good things you want for the company and yourself and be genuinely pleased, if not excited, about these possibilities. Let this show on your face.

In selling a pen, be genuinely concerned about whether the pen meets the needs of the interviewer. If it turns out the pen doesn't, offer to give him that pen to tide him over while you work with your company to produce one that does.

If you're answering questions about what you would do in certain situations on the job, your earnest, non-smiling face may be the best thing, especially if that's the real you.

If your 3-person interview is skyped, look straight at the image of each person and be genuinely glad to meet him or her, etc.

And, BTW, I'm not suggesting that you do something that is not you by being genuinely glad to meet the interviewer. I see a forced or planned smile as not you. Rather, I'm suggesting that you be aware of the things that are good about the situation and letting that show in your smile and eyes.

I don't have any advice about joke telling. I think you nailed that. Maybe you can send me some advice.

Last edited by hmrd; 08-01-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
A very good question I ask when they ask me if I have any questions for them is:

Yes, what are the three main competencies you consider crucial for this position and are looking for in a successful candidate?

The question benefits you in the following ways:

1. They always look at me a little startled as they need to THINK about a solid and articulate answer.

2. It allows me to know what it is they want; if I have shown them that; and if I am seriously in the running.

3. If I accept the position, I know exactly how to approach the job when I start because they already told me the three main competencies they want me to focus on.

4. They will remember you because you asked a question that made them think.
Thank you for the tip! I'll definitely ask them this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I know this may not sound related but when you see yourself in photographs are you intense and serious? Do you have a fake smile? When someone takes a picture of you, if you pretend you're looking into the eyes of someone you love, say your mom or your very best friends, your smile will look great!

Even if you don't smile a lot naturally, you should look pleasant.

"..and if I smile, tell me some bad news before I laugh and act like a fool..." The Who
I'd say I do look serious and intense. I'll try to think of my mom when I look at the camera lens from now on, though. Thank you! I'll keep telling myself to look pleasant throughout the interview. I always knew I had a serious face, but didn't think it would bother so many interviewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Try googling the phrase "bitchy resting face" - there is a whole lot out there on the internet about this phenomenon

As someone who tends to have a BRF myself, it helps to learn how to keep a slight Mona Lisa smile on your face to offset it, and after a while it becomes habit.
I actually have before, but it almost seems like it pertains to only females. I have had strangers ask me "what's wrong?" But I've tried not to look so serious for people to ask me that now . Thank you! And the Mona Lisa smile is a great idea, something I can definitely do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
There's a new term people are using now "resting bit*h face" ...google it

Some contestant on Food Network show "Next Food Network Star" said she had the same problem after her critics pointed it out!

FWIW, we train the phone company people to SMILE on the phone which somehow works by softening the tone in their voices.

It may be an exercise worth doing privately or with your friends.

ROLE PLAY all these interviews you have with people who know you and get their feedback or VIDEO yourself if you want.

You may be able to develop a slight smile that'll work without turning on a toothy grin.

Older women loose elasticity in their mouth area which is why so many people say middle aged women look miserable but it's not really that way. So they have to compensate by intentionally coming up with a facial strategy so ya might as well prepare for the future!
I think I saw that episode. I've had some friends ask me some typical questions earlier yesterday and I've tried to smile and chuckle before I answered the Qs. Apparently, it gave a positive vibe about me. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Excercise for at least an hour prior to your interview. You will blow off some of the "edge" and the endorphin release will help you smile.
I plan on doing some push ups when I get out of the bed, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The interviewer called me yesterday to reschedule the time to a later time during the day, and while we were at it, I asked him if it was going to be a webcam interview, and he said it would be in-person. This is only an entry-level person position so I guess they're here for some other business as well. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Fake it til u make it, hunni.

When meeting someone just smile and shake their hand.
You dont have to smile throughout the entire interview, but it helps to smile at the beginning...and at the end as the interview wraps up.

Smile at the beginning when meeting new people. Smile if jokes are made or if something is said that perhaps interests u.... Also, when thanking them for their time at the end...SMILE... shake their hand again, smile and thank them for their time. That's it.
I do smile and shake their hands in the beginning and the end of. But I guess that doesn't matter one bit if don't do any during the actual interview. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, in fact it is probably the latter. That is why Chicago was mentioned. OP will be taken into a conference room and will be doing a Skype interview.

It would have been better if this was made clearer to the OP, but I am guessing the person arranging this figured mentioning Chicago was enough.

OP, in the future ask for clarification so you know what exactly you will be walking into. Also if it does end up being Skype smile even a little bit more.
For some reason, webcam interviews are even worse for me. Oddly enough, I actually prefer human interaction. I clarified with the interviewer and luckily it will be in-person interviews. I've read that 2nd interviews usually mean that they are seriously considered me, and know that I am virtually qualified for the job, now I just have to smile my ass off and answer the questions slowly and coherently. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
My suggestion is for you to not focus on smiling when you first meet the interviewer, but that you focus on being genuinely glad to meet him or her. Your gladness will automatically show on your face and likely include a smile. Even if a smile doesn't automatically appear, your gladness will show in your eyes, which is far better than a fake smile. If you don't think you're ready for this yet, then focus on being glad to meet him or her and smiling with your eyes. Let go of the pressure to smile with your lips.

I'm thinking you should be genuinely glad to meet him or her because it means you have already achieved this interview and it gives you the opportunity for a job you may be interested in, maybe even one you will love. That would make me very happy and pleased to meet this person.

The same with an answer to where you see yourself with this company in 5-10 years. Be aware of the good things you want for the company and yourself and be genuinely pleased, if not excited, about these possibilities. Let this show on your face.

In selling a pen, be genuinely concerned about whether the pen meets the needs of the interviewer. If it turns out the pen doesn't, offer to give him that pen to tide him over while you work with your company to produce one that does.

If you're answering questions about what you would do in certain situations on the job, your earnest, non-smiling face may be the best thing, especially if that's the real you.

If your 3-person interview is skyped, look straight at the image of each person and be genuinely glad to meet him or her, etc.

And, BTW, I'm not suggesting that you do something that is not you by being genuinely glad to meet the interviewer. I see a forced or planned smile as not you. Rather, I'm suggesting that you be aware of the things that are good about the situation and letting that show in your smile and eyes.

I don't have any advice about joke telling. I think you nailed that. Maybe you can send me some advice.
I'll try to be glad to meet them, I always thought of them as interrogators who are always out to get me. I've had enough interviews now to know basically all the questions that they ask. I don't have a problem in that regard. I think I need to work on being glad to meet the interview and just smiling etc. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search