Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:34 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,742 times

Advertisements

You didn't mention what kind of pajama bottoms though.

Sponge Bob = immature
Batman = professional

And in addition, I would have asked why he didn't wear the matching top and slippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 AM

59 posts, read 50,823 times
Default Seriously?

I think there is no middle ground here. If I was the interviewer I would have either laughed or felt offended. And yes, I would have asked why he came dressed like that just to hear the response given . Then, I would have a double story, one on the guy in pajamas for an interview and the other on the response lol .

Honestly, I wouldn't trust someone who came like that to an interview even if it is a low wage job and even if they can show that they can do the job. There is something called professionalism and even a low wage employee can show it. Someone who doesn't show it this early is a bad sign---and a boss who behaves like a dictator from the very first interview and who dresses in pajamas is also a bad sign (don't worry topic creator this is not about you, I just remembered about an old boss; he didn't wear pajamas though ).

I would judge based on three things: appearance, responses, and personality or style of the person. Personality tells you whether the guy or the gal will fit or not with the workplace, the team, or even the job itself. Responses tell you how they think and can give some ideas of whether they know something about the job or not. Appearance, doesn't say if they can do the job or not, but it definitely says something about them (good or bad). Nice appearance isn't a guarantee of good work just like a 'good guy' or a 'good girl' face is not a guarantee of good morals, but it is definitely a plus and shows a higher chance of good things (appearance is like a visual attitude). At least, they didn't go to the interview like this guy described by the topic creator here. I wouldn't trust that guy, and I am not thinking about just job interviews here anymore .

Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 AM

78 posts, read 63,231 times
don't hire him. Advise him it's a bad idea to wear your jammies for job interviews.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:15 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
They were not clean, had a cartoon print, and were not appropriate for the weather (polarfleece when it's 90 degrees out?). And apparently no underwear.

He also had on an old tshirt, bare feet, and two of those plastic wristbands you get at music festivals to show you paid. (Those things are dang uncomfortable! Can you imagine sleeping in them? But he must have, for at least the last two nights.) He didn't look like he'd had a shower today.

Now, this is not for some fancy schmancy job. We get dirty, don't deal with the public, and I myself have been known to wear pajama pants to work. (Hey, they are comfortable.) I would have been ok with his clothing if he were actually working here.

But for an interview it seemed a bit over the top.

I thought to myself, 'He seems way to concerned about outward appearances, with those concert bracelets especially.' And then I thought, 'I bet that's the opposite reaction from what he expects.'

Am I a bad person if I don't hire him because of his outfit?

(Note for mods: I was unsure whether this belonged here or in 'Fashion'; feel free to move it if you think that's best. Ultimately, it is an employment question, but I have never posted in this subforum before.)
Plastic wristbands are common in hospitals, for example psychiatric units. This person may be mentally ill, perhaps schizophrenic, and might have been discharged recently and dumped into the community without preparation.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
The pajama bottoms are the least of the problems. No one who is mentally competent and wants a job goes to the interview dirty and lacking underwear and shoes. He was really not interested and had no respect for your position as the interviewer. To me, THAT's the issue.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
They were not clean, had a cartoon print, and were not appropriate for the weather (polarfleece when it's 90 degrees out?). And apparently no underwear.

He also had on an old tshirt, bare feet, and two of those plastic wristbands you get at music festivals to show you paid. (Those things are dang uncomfortable! Can you imagine sleeping in them? But he must have, for at least the last two nights.) He didn't look like he'd had a shower today.

Now, this is not for some fancy schmancy job. We get dirty, don't deal with the public, and I myself have been known to wear pajama pants to work. (Hey, they are comfortable.) I would have been ok with his clothing if he were actually working here.

But for an interview it seemed a bit over the top.

I thought to myself, 'He seems way to concerned about outward appearances, with those concert bracelets especially.' And then I thought, 'I bet that's the opposite reaction from what he expects.'

Am I a bad person if I don't hire him because of his outfit?

(Note for mods: I was unsure whether this belonged here or in 'Fashion'; feel free to move it if you think that's best. Ultimately, it is an employment question, but I have never posted in this subforum before.)
Is this for real??? Who shoes up wearing no shoes and pajama bottoms to an interview??? If I saw something like that, I would ask him to explain his attire. Maybe is shower is broken and he had no money for laundry or shoes have holes in them...I don't know.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
It's moot that showing to any interview for any type of job in pajama pants is low class.It's unprofessional. I don't see how anybody could argue that one.

However, on the reverse side, I've had some "interesting" interviews at which the interviewer looked unprofessional or acted badly. One man reeked of body odor and clearly didn't wear his deodorant. Am I supposed to overlook that because he was "the Holy Interviewer-Employer" who can do no wrong? Another at a different time and place was not wearing socks and his feet reeked. A few interviewing women in the past were dressed way too sexy for office positions, and had enough make up that would put the cast of Bob Fosse's Cabaret to shame. It made me wonder what kind of boss they had. So it goes both ways. It's a two way street. Interviewers need to keep it together as well.
No, it doesn't go both ways. Unless I'm badly misunderstanding something, a potential employee appearing for a job interview is not the supervisor of the person conducting the interview. The interviewee may have opinions, and those opinions may even influence whether the interviewee accepts a job if it is offered, but the interviewee is not in a position to dictate what the interviewer wears.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:22 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
No, it doesn't go both ways. Unless I'm badly misunderstanding something, a potential employee appearing for a job interview is not the supervisor of the person conducting the interview. The interviewee may have opinions, and those opinions may even influence whether the interviewee accepts a job if it is offered, but the interviewee is not in a position to dictate what the interviewer wears.
you have a reading comprehension problem. Read again what I wrote! The discussion is about APPEARANCE. I wrote how some interviewers looked like crap. Obviously these were not jobs I would want as they show sloppiness in appearance and hygiene. These red flags are indicative of how the company handles OTHER areas of its business. Nobody is dictating what somebody should wear. Your response is very confrontational. WE live in a free land and we don't have to wear Burkas. Obviously though, people who look freaky are not going to attract "white shoe type candidates" to work at their companies. In a free country, it IS both ways. Nobody dictates here anything. People do as they please but a person will form certain views when ANYBODY is sloppy, has bad hygiene or acts like a weirdo. I don't understand what you are trying to argue here.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Is it ok for an interviewer wearing pajama pants to interview candidates wearing Armani suits? Or for an interviewer wearing his undergarments to an interview? So it's perfectly OK to do this solely because one has the title of "Employer"? That's some seriously ignorant thinking. We're not living in Absolutely Employerocracy. - sure if you're the employer you can interview me naked, but I'm just going to walk out and move on to the next employer.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Either he didn't want the job or he had the emotional intelligence of a kumquat. Either way, not someone you want to hire. My ex was a factory mechanic. He worked in jobs that had him constantly filthy. He could never dress well going to an interview because he never knew if he was going to be asked to demonstrate his skills. But jeez, we at least made sure his t-shirt was clean and he didn't have any holes in his jeans.

In an office environment, showing up a little overdressed for actually working there is fine - it's kind of expected. In my industry, people typically show up dressed as they would for a high-level business meeting, even though their everyday work attire may be jeans and a golf shirt. In a factory or manual-labor type job, you should show up in clothes appropriate for doing the job you're interviewing for because you never know if you'll be asked to prove your abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search