Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Lie Lie Lie fake fake fake. Know exactly what you can probably get away with
Well...sure...if you're not good enough to stand on your own merits, that could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 PM

431 posts, read 599,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Well...sure...if you're not good enough to stand on your own merits, that could work.
The problem is, so many people do it that if you are honest you can have trouble standing out.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
The problem is, so many people do it that if you are honest you can have trouble standing out.
of course. in a forest of wolves sheep don't make it. When in Rome, do as the Romans. It's been this way for hundreds of years so the moralist philosophers will never change that.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Parried almost certainly qualifies for federal grants, in addition to work study. He could get a free education, plus living expenses. His approach to education is similar to his approach to employment, which is to say he comes up with many excuses allowing him to stay in exactly his current position.

He wants to do a CNC program, but his local CC doesn't offer one. I showed him a CC that does offer one a couple of hours from his city, but he refuses to go there.
This same song and dance has been on repeat for months, if not a year, by now.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:17 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
I never heard of federal work study nor have I heard of that covering living expenses for someone. I've heard of a college student having access to work study (working on the campus) when they are attending school but not any other way.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Uh, wouldn't you want them to do just that.

Not judging people they don't know is simply nepotism where only those with a personal connection get hired since no one else is ever considered.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I never heard of federal work study nor have I heard of that covering living expenses for someone. I've heard of a college student having access to work study (working on the campus) when they are attending school but not any other way.
Why am I doing this?

Against my better judgment, because you seem to have willfully ignored all reasonable advice in the past, I am going to try again.

Choose a college and fill out the FAFSA. You can get an estimate of your financial aid award here: https://studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa/estimate

The college can be a local one that doesn't offer your preferred CNC program, that really doesn't matter now. You need to get off your a s s and start doing something. Go to the college down the street, get your basic math and English done, take a psych course, and generally work through the gen. Ed. Credits your are going to need for ANY program. The credits should transfer if your grades are high enough.

Once you have done a year or so of college, go to a college that offers a CNC program, do the fafsa again, and transfer. 2-3 years and you are done.

I am going to give you a rough overview of financial aid. I am not an expert in this area, but I do work closely with them. I will check back on this thread and answer any questions.

The first step in getting financial aid is filling out the FAFSA. Based upon your age, education level, family income you will see several numbers. One is grant money. This is the amount of financial aid that is given to you. Not a loan, no need to pay it back, just given. A second amount is federally subsidized loans. You have to pay these back, but if you are careful and responsible, they are at a low interest rate and shouldn't be too burdebpnsome once you graduate. There are other categories of money. State and federal work study, private loans, etc. I am going to focus on grants.

Because you have no income and have never been to college, this works in your favor. If you come from a low income family, even better. You are likely to get a large amount of grant money (don't ask me, use the fafsa calculator I linked). This grant money, if you are low income, will likely be MORE than the cost of tuition at a community college.

So, you apply to CC, you fill out the FAFSA, you get more grant money than it costs for tuition. This is the good part. The school gives you the difference between your award and tuition. In cash. Spend it however you want. I advise food, shelter, clothing and books, but if you want to blow it on crack and hookers, go ahead. It is your money.

If you need more money than you are going to get with a grant, you are going to need to take out a loan. Ultimately you need you pay thus back, but you CAN and SHOULD use it for living expenses. Including a bus ticket to Maine to check out the CC I showed you that offers a CNC degree.

Tomorrow, go to your local CC and talk to their financial aid office. They will hold your hand through this process. If the CC has a TRIO office (and most should) stop in there and see if you qualify. TRIO is designed as an outreach assistance program for underprivileged youth who need the extra help in navigating the system. I suspect that you are exactly the type of person they are there to support.

Don't disappoint me by whining. Start taking control of your life and do this. Tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Simple question to the OP.

If I was the employer, why should I hire you? What can you offer me?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
I have a friend who's neighbors with one of the more recognizable cast members of the TV show 'Deadliest Catch'. I've had a chance to hang out with the guy (super cool dude). He mentioned that prior to the show, those guys were getting paid through the nose because the work was so dangerous, so back-breaking, so hard that nobody wanted to do it. Now that TV came along and glamorized it, suddenly, they're DELUGED with applications from people who want to come and be crab fisherman on the Bearing Sea.
Name drop often?

Old 08-08-2014, 05:38 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Simple question to the OP.

If I was the employer, why should I hire you? What can you offer me?

I'd like to hear the answer to this myself. So far it's been excuses.

In all honesty, if the OP isn't willing to take this advice, how do they expect to ever find employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search