Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times

Advertisements

In my field (high-tech/computers) I've gotten all my job interviews/jobs in the past four years via one of the following methods:

• a recruiter reaching out to me upon seeing my Linkedin profile
  • working with one of the local recruiting agencies in my area
  • responding to a Craigslist ad
  • applying to job postings on Careerbuilder
  • networking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:33 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RearrangeMyFace View Post
I know that networking is the best way to find a job but what are some others. List the top five other most helpful ways to search for and find a job. Thank you
Aside from networking, search, apply, repeat.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:38 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Go out and talk to people. Attend free seminars and classes geared toward your profession. Apply to more jobs. I think people underestimate how many jobs they have to apply to before receiving a response.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
One was networking. I interviewed, and got the job. Sent the former classmate a gift card for the help. However, this was a decade ago when the job search landscape wasn't as bumpy.

Another job through an internal referral. Interviewed for that too over the phone.

Last but not least, one job through a career fair. Don't get me wrong though, I've been to what must've been a dozen of them, chatting up with a whole lot of employers, so odds (at least for me) still were far from my favor.

Nowadays, there's no silver bullet to speak, (unless you're in demand, but then you probably wouldn't have asked the question you just did), but rather keep plugging away at a variety of methods.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:53 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that networking is absolutely critical. Most jobs come down to who you know not what you know.
Not in my industry. 95% is what you know. Maybe 5% is who you know.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:06 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that networking is absolutely critical. Most jobs come down to who you know not what you know.

Just remember, you are always networking. Every time you go out the door, you are seen by others. You never know who knows who, etc, etc. You don't have to "dress for success" but make sure you are neat, clean, groomed, act polite---don't be an ass---keep your car in good condition. Nothing turns me off more than a car that's essentially a traveling trash can! Clean out the crap, run it through the car wash at least 2x month, don't have your mail, etc, piled up on the dashboard, .........etc, etc

Does any of this really matter?Sign up for welfare and be done with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search