Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,563 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I left company A last April and took up a small time offer. I worked in this firm for just 40 days and left for a better opportunity. Now after 2 years I have gotten another opportunity but they are conducting background check on me. I left off that 40 day job from my resume. The background check documents says all employment should be listed. What should I do? Will they find it out in background check?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,960,469 times
"Background check" is not very descriptive. Most companies will do credit, criminal history and/or reference checks. Unless a reference says something, the company probably won't find that short term job.

There is a thread on here about pulling your payroll records from The Work Number, which is a company owned by equifax. If your potential new employer does this, and the short term employer used a payroll processor that fed info to the work number, then they probably will find it.

Finding this short term job won't necessarily be a problem, it would likely be at the HM's discretion as to what to do.

Your OP wasn't very clear on timelines. Was the 40 day job 'job A'? Have you been employed at your current company for two years and they are just now doing a background check? If you left a company last April (16 months ago) how does two years fit into it?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,093,298 times
The only time a background check uncovered a job I had not listed on a resume was when I had to undergo an FDIC background check during my last full-time job. This was in 2012.

However, FDIC background checks are extensive and they take quite a long time. Most pre-employment background checks are nowhere near that stringent or thorough. They even contacted my ex-husband in Europe. Even though I did not have a telephone number to give them, they still tracked him down.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Mine is FCRA disclosure...I do not know what it is

Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,093,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitranga View Post
Mine is FCRA disclosure...I do not know what it is
Google is your friend.

FCRA stands for "Fair Credit Reporting Act."

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...orting-act.pdf

Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,366,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitranga View Post
Hi,

I left company A last April and took up a small time offer. I worked in this firm for just 40 days and left for a better opportunity. Now after 2 years I have gotten another opportunity but they are conducting background check on me. I left off that 40 day job from my resume. The background check documents says all employment should be listed. What should I do? Will they find it out in background check?

Thanks
I had several background checks done and left a short term job off the resume. Never included it anywhere (application, background check documents).

Background checks came back and the short term job wasn't discovered. Just like it didn't exist from their standpoint also.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,836,809 times
You'll likely have to fill out an actual application listing addresses, aliases, past employers, etc. Be 100% truthful on that - list everything.

Your résumé is like a marketing document, I certainly don't expect someone to list every job on there - only the relevant ones.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM

I would have loved to list it; the problem is I do not have relieving letter but only F&F....I served one month notice but they wanted me to stay till they find another replacement....i later on found out that offer letter mentioned minimum of one month notice period. I found it strange and very much in their favour thus left then and there after a month.

Last edited by chitranga; 08-07-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM

70 posts, read 95,605 times
I can not be the only one who is sick of this crap we are now calling a job market in America! Employers are now doing second an third interviews; panel interviews; how much did you make on your previous job. Those are the legal questions they ask! Lets no start on the stuff they know they are not supposed to ask but ask any way! I will never buy into the hype of "the job market is scare" 'cause factually its not true. Everyday a new factory, retail location or food operation is built. Weather you work on the corporate/managerial or industrial/blue collar end; either way a new job is being created. Then you have people who leave and work for them selves. There is another job opening. So how are jobs scarce when an opening is being created every day?! Employers have simply gotten where they are literally no longer care about there employees. It is all make money save money. Period. Everything that is happening in our once great country is now falling apart because of it our job market and unequal wealth distribution. EVERYTHING! In short America is going to Hell. An with inequality of treatment to our people we Americans have to do things in grand style. So America is going to Hell on local transit no! They are going in the new Bentley SUV! May GOD in heaven bless America....

Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,987,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IspeakFact View Post
So how are jobs scarce when an opening is being created every day?!
But is it a job that you are qualified to do, pays enough for you to live the way you are accustomed to, is within a reasonable commuting time from your residence, and is something you enjoy or at least can tolerate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search