U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 11,689 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Texas to Colorado next month and have saved up several months' worth of money to do so. I already started applying (and had three phone interviews as a result), but all fell through due to the fact that they wanted someone immediately.

My question is, if I'm arriving in Colorado in mid-September, should I wait until that point to apply--maybe a week or two before getting there--or has anyone had any luck finding work after saying that they'll need a month prior to starting?

I'd really like to secure something before I get there, despite having enough money in place already, to ensure I don't run into any roadblocks when trying to sign a lease on an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 AM

20,868 posts, read 10,103,896 times
I would continue to apply or you may miss out on some opportunities. Many companies take weeks to go through the hiring process. It's just unfortunate you applied to a few looking to hire immediately.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,657,033 times
Continue to apply, if you are contacted by recruiters let them know that you will be in CO by mid-Sept., but also get their information so you can work with them later. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:14 PM

27,409 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Continue to apply, if you are contacted by recruiters let them know that you will be in CO by mid-Sept., but also get their information so you can work with them later. Good luck.
I was in a similar boat in state when I was finishing college. I went to a state school up about 3 hours from Phoenix and clearly put in cover letters I submitted that I would be available AFTER my graduation date, some places wanted me to interview right (and likely start) right then. It's like they didn't even read the cover letter.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:45 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I was in a similar boat in state when I was finishing college. I went to a state school up about 3 hours from Phoenix and clearly put in cover letters I submitted that I would be available AFTER my graduation date, some places wanted me to interview right (and likely start) right then. It's like they didn't even read the cover letter.
Now you know the truth about cover letters, most people do not read them. Best thing to do is have that phone interview with them and let them know the situation.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:17 PM

257 posts, read 448,301 times
I applied the week before my move. Had 3 interviews set once I landed. Loved the first job I interviewed for and accepted their offer and cancelled my 2 upcoming interviews. YMMV.

This was over a year ago, and I'm still with that company.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:24 PM

23,684 posts, read 17,640,506 times
Immediately.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM

27,409 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Default Just Wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Now you know the truth about cover letters, most people do not read them. Best thing to do is have that phone interview with them and let them know the situation.
But then if they (typically) aren't read, why are they important?

I asked and most wanted to do in-person interviews for whatever reason. As I found out in time, most were the "Can I ask you a question," people at Walmarts, Sam's Club and even Targets that try to get you to switch cable or satellite providers.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:40 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But then if they (typically) aren't read, why are they important?

The only reason people do cover letters anymore is the rare case that anyone actually reads them. Many of my colleagues tell me they never bother with writing cover letters, to them it's a waste of time and I work in an industry with a lot of Fortune 500 companies.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 23,440 times
Don't wait, keep applying. I started applying about 2 months before I moved. I got a job about two days after I moved. Most people told me to just give them a call when I get here, and I didn't think they were serious, but when I finally moved, they remembered me and got the ball rolling. Try to get a phone conversation in. Also, I'd recommend looking for permanent positions via recruiting/staffing agencies - they do all the work for you and might be able to get you 1-week or even 3-day positions to tide you over while you wait to start or find your new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or