Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times

Advertisements

Over the course of 1 year I worked intermittently at my father's $4 million company. Not full time, but on a project-by-project basis. I didn't have a formal title, everyone knew me as the owner's son who did qualitative and quantitative research to support strategic decision making and improve business processes. I got paid per project.

I feel uncomfortable listing myself as a "business analyst" because in my mind that implies certain methodologies outside the scope of what I did. Then I thought "internal consultant" but that may be too vague or pretentious. Then I thought "information analyst" but that seems to imply IT functions I don't do.

I'd like your impartial opinion, what job title for resume and linkedin purposes should I consider?

Here is a description of exactly what I did:
-Researched worldwide commodity markets to implement demand forecasting
-Interviewed staff, supervisors, and company leaders for organizational development/process improvement
-Drafted security risk assessments during political and city events
-Drafted company risk assessment during an acquisition of a customer
-Liaised at external business functions and planned schedules
-Designed routine positive and negative business documents
-Developed action plans to automate accounts receivable and reduce processing timelines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 06:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,564,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World_Explorer View Post

-Interviewed staff, supervisors, and company leaders for organizational development/process improvement

-Drafted security risk assessments during political and city events
-Drafted company risk assessment during an acquisition of a customer

-Developed action plans to automate accounts receivable and reduce processing timelines
Here is one idea . . . I'm just tossing this out. Feel free to make changes.

12/2011 - 08/2014 Contract Employee at Whatever Company, City, State 12345

11/ 2013 Project 3: Document and workflow development

12/2012 Project 2: Risk Assessment of ____

12/2011 Project 1: Market Research

If you could quantify your experience, that would help. Examples: saved the company 30K in 2013 by streamlining the X process. Added 40K to the company in 2014 by ________.

That's my best guess without seeing the rest of your resume, and I unfortunately don't have time right now to go over it. Hope this helps a little! It's wordy. If you can edit it down, that might help your cause.

Last edited by Meemur; 08-12-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,504,350 times
You could go with Market Research Analyst. Market Research Consultant if that doesn't do it for you.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You could go with Market Research Analyst. Market Research Consultant if that doesn't do it for you.
That title didn't cover all the projects, which don't all seem to fit into market research. That's why I went with contract employee because it's broader but I'm sure there's something better that I'll think of at 3 am because that's how my mind works.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,739,339 times
<Something> Consultant is what I would put, that "Something" being whatever is appropriate for those tasks/skills (sorry, I don't know the right term for the work you did, I'm an engineer).

Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,504,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
That title didn't cover all the projects, which don't all seem to fit into market research. That's why I went with contract employee because it's broader but I'm sure there's something better that I'll think of at 3 am because that's how my mind works.

Meemur, I think the op needs to decide what kind of job he/she is going for and only include the tasks that are relevant or it looks like one undefined hodgepodge of tasks instead of a job that has relevant tasks for a specific purpose.

That would be my suggestion - and then if it's what I think it is, Market Research Analyst fits.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Yeah, it's hard to know for sure without seeing the rest of the resume, looking at some ads, and having a quick chat about what experiences could be quantified. Numbers are talking these days.

I dunno. I have to go interview next week for a job that found me. I didn't have a resume out or anything else. It was, "You know, Meemur should probably be doing this."

"Yeah, is she around? Sucker!"

Yikes.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM

928 posts, read 1,097,732 times
Titles have a lot to do with how people perceive us, including employers. Often times I have been honored to speak to the VP of a company and I felt important. Later of course I would find out that anyone above entry level is given the title VP so they can sound more important than they are but It still works.

My point is, speak to your dad, create a position that will suit this role. Senior Executive Consultant to the President/CEO sounds pretty good to me. When applying for a job is not the time to be modest and shy about your accomplishments. Thats when you toot your own horn as loud as you can and you sell yourself the hardest you ever have. You have the chance to mKe up a title that can make you come across as fancy and experienced beyond your level of actual experience. It makes you me marketable and competitive.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,739,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Senior Executive Consultant to the President/CEO sounds pretty good to me.

Except that this is very pretentious for a small business.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:33 AM

928 posts, read 1,097,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Except that this is very pretentious for a small business.
And your point is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search