Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 9,534 times

Advertisements

So I'm still in undergraduate school but I have a potential internship with a company that I really, really, want lined up. I'm fully qualified for the position as I know others before me who have worked for this company.

They scheduled a interview with me between 1:00 pm to 1:30pm. The company had even sent a Google invite with the times that they would call me and the invitation reflected that both superiors in the office accepted the invitation to attend our phone interview and I accepted as well. So 2:00 pm rolled around and still no call.

I'm very confused and worried about this. I plan on sending my contact within the company a follow up email, politely reminding them that our phone interview was missed and asking if there was some mistake on my end. However... I am worried what this reflects about the company. I applied as a late candidate (as in past the set deadline) however the head of the company replied to me saying that he read my cover letter/resume and loved it and wanted to schedule a phone interview. Only now they never called me.

Is this a bad sign? I really want to work/intern for this company and I fear that this is a symbol that I've been cut from the running.

P.S. on a side note, even if I've been cut from the running, I find this highly unprofessional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Yes, it's unprofessional - unless something happened like their system went down for the entire day. But you're an undergrad trying to get an internship, which is tough to get. That means you're not in a position to worry about whether or not it's a red flag. Even if it is, you cannot afford to not take the internship if it's offered.

Just call them and ask if there was some confusion because you had the invitation stating the call would take place yesterday (right???) and you never received the call.

Was this for yesterday or some other day?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 AM

184 posts, read 316,146 times
did this happen yesterday?

If so, you should have contacted someone then. Waiting a day makes you seem a little lackluster.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
I would call to reschedule. Possible that they were busy or expected you to call them.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1981 View Post
did this happen yesterday?

If so, you should have contacted someone then. Waiting a day makes you seem a little lackluster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, it's unprofessional - unless something happened like their system went down for the entire day. But you're an undergrad trying to get an internship, which is tough to get. That means you're not in a position to worry about whether or not it's a red flag. Even if it is, you cannot afford to not take the internship if it's offered.

Just call them and ask if there was some confusion because you had the invitation stating the call would take place yesterday (right???) and you never received the call.

Was this for yesterday or some other day?
For privacy purposes (and my paranoia) I changed the times in this post. The interview was scheduled for today. I decided to call them instead of email them. I left a voice message on the extension for my contact within the company reminding him of our interview and asking if I was mistaken on the date or time. He has not called or emailed me back yet.

I also just called my friend who used to work for them and she said she has no idea as to what is going on since she had no issues during her interview process and said it might be because the company is busy and my interview "might have slipped their mind". Very reassuring to say the least.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:09 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
All you can do at this point is wait for the return call. We'll all be interested in hearing what happened!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM

My contact just called me back and profusely apologized. Said he forgot to set a reminder on his calendar and he's been so busy with work that my interview slipped his mind. He needs to go find the other office head and they said that they'll call me back in a few minutes to begin my interview.

So yet again... waiting on another call.

Thanks for everyone's advice! It'll be interesting to see how this interview goes, let alone if I get the position. I have other offers lined up too.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:30 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Hmmm... since it only happened once, I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if it happens again and again, I'd be concerned! Please let us know.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
So how'd it go?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,697 times
It's actually pretty common to miss a meeting if you usually have reminders set up and this one meeting doesn't have on. I had one coworker who always deliberately unchecked the reminder because she didn't like them, personally - and pretty much no one ever made it to her meetings because we didn't get the pop-up telling us to go.

You did the right thing. I hope it pays off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search