Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Fat floats on water. I had a gf who was well over 100 heavier than me. She floated like a bubble in the swimming pool. I sank like a brick.
Well, let's not get silly. I mean there's a reason why Olympic (or any athlete really) who is a swimmer is not 100lbs overweight.

When I said he would have a tough time swimming, I meant mostly due to the cardio nature of that sport. So to be clear, that 400lbs dude would perform better in a non cardio activity like lifting or moving big weight. Running, cycling, swimming...not so much. Unless he was an anomaly of a person, and those anomalies do exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Well, let's not get silly. I mean there's a reason why Olympic (or any athlete really) who is a swimmer is not 100lbs overweight.

When I said he would have a tough time swimming, I meant mostly due to the cardio nature of that sport. So to be clear, that 400lbs dude would perform better in a non cardio activity like lifting or moving big weight. Running, cycling, swimming...not so much. Unless he was an anomaly of a person, and those anomalies do exist.
But someone working around water is going to have a life preserver on, another person on hand, not be swimming with a heavy pack like in the USMC, have access to emergency services, etc. They are not going to be swimming the 100 meter like in the Olympics.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:47 PM

634 posts, read 897,310 times
The issue of the candidate's weight is not relevant. He deserved all the professional courtesy and respect and you gave it. End of story.

But I will add that employer ads are often vague and confusing as you attempt to squeeze as much info as possible into the "free" portion of the ad. It's funny how candidates are required to provide perfect resumes but it doesn't work both ways given the number of job listings with bad spelling, grammar, and a confusing application process.

P.S. Can't tell you the number of employers I've met where it was all I could do to stop myself from bursting out laughing as well. One place didn't have desks, they had all their employees sitting at folding tables.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 PM

22 posts, read 37,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
The issue of the candidate's weight is not relevant. He deserved all the professional courtesy and respect and you gave it. End of story.

But I will add that employer ads are often vague and confusing as you attempt to squeeze as much info as possible into the "free" portion of the ad. It's funny how candidates are required to provide perfect resumes but it doesn't work both ways given the number of job listings with bad spelling, grammar, and a confusing application process.

P.S. Can't tell you the number of employers I've met where it was all I could do to stop myself from bursting out laughing as well. One place didn't have desks, they had all their employees sitting at folding tables.
In your defense, I wouldve have walked out of the company the minute I saw the folding tables.
That is nothing but writing on the wall.

To the other posters, thats just the thing, our AD even stated that it was physically demanding, due to the EEOC we can not say we required " fit " people because someone with a disability has every right to apply for the job. Its a gray area.

As for the whopper, he knew darn right he wouldnt be able to do the job, he had lied about most of his " technical " capabilities, he was an absurd waste of time, and I only conducted the interview with the dolt out of professional courtesy.

Though according to some of you " unemployable " folks around these parts, I shouldve provided caviar, a gym membership, a personal trainer and ten years worth of vitamin water to him just for him doing his part as an applicant and showing up to the interview.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:34 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadstugatzi View Post
This is the third post where you just zero in on attacking me ad-hominem as opposed to taking the time to read my posts and discuss the issue maturely.
What issue? You are a troll posting here to elicit a response. I have not seen you discuss a serious issue, but only see you put people down in your opening posts and also in the subsequent posts. Maybe my posts will give a glimpse of what it is like to be treated the way you feel others should be treated.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadstugatzi View Post
So a troll is the one posting relevant topics and trying to help other posters,
Keep telling yourself that. Maybe you can convince yourself. The rest of us have long figured out what you are, a troll. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:44 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
... and that reason is because swimming every single day for long distances at record-breaking speeds burns lots of calories.
It has nothing to do with job performance on your piddly ass job.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
... and that reason is because swimming every single day for long distances at record-breaking speeds burns lots of calories.
It has nothing to do with job performance on your piddly ass job.
Ummm, ok. I'm confused about your (tiny) combative tone though.

My point was that a 400lbs guy who is woefully out of shape (if one believes the OP), would likely not be able to pass a USMC swim test...not even close.

I frankly don't get what ur arguing or trying to prove. It's not my piddly ass job...I'm not the OP. And, I never said how I feel about this test's appropriateness.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Keep telling yourself that. Maybe you can convince yourself. The rest of us have long figured out what you are, a troll. Nothing more, nothing less.
OP, even if you're not a troll, you must admit that some of the things you say are meant to inflame. I mean it's obvious. And that inclination towards inflammation is a bit...well, troll like.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 37,930 times
Quote:
OP, even if you're not a troll, you must admit that some of the things you say are meant to inflame. I mean it's obvious. And that inclination towards inflammation is a bit...well, troll like.
I admit no such thing, I just related a story and everyone took it and ran with it.

Honestly though, the more I hang around here, I sense that the best way to not get labeled a troll is to just post things like " EMPLOYERS ARE VILE!!! " " I SHOULD BE INTERVIEWED FOR EVERY JOB IVE APPLIED TOO!!!! " BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search