Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathis waiting View Post
31k pay a year minus living and meal, which works out well. 2-3 year commitment. skills developed for security guard and easier access to lazy ass govv jobs like working at the post office. fight for your country. any reson why unemployment can't be qualmed with this?
US Military Active Personnel - 1,369,532
Reserve Personnel - 850,880

US Unemployment 10.5 Million people

Id say that right there is a reason that unemployment cannot be "qualmed" with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
There's an age restriction. Many unemployed people are too old to join the military, even for desk jobs. Last I read, the cutoff was 30 or 35 years old.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathis waiting View Post
31k pay a year minus living and meal, which works out well. 2-3 year commitment. skills developed for security guard and easier access to lazy ass govv jobs like working at the post office. fight for your country. any reson why unemployment can't be qualmed with this?
Joining the military isn't for everyone. True, it might be a good option for some people, but not everyone.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
There's an age restriction. Many unemployed people are too old to join the military, even for desk jobs. Last I read, the cutoff was 30 or 35 years old.
Last I heard they had raised it to 42, so no more excuses....

Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Joining the military isn't for everyone. True, it might be a good option for some people, but not everyone.

I don't think the o.p. cares. This notion of the miliary as a dumping ground for the unfit (mentally) only became popular when America started entering wars that did not directly threaten its sovereignty. Young men by the score were conscripted and sent off to Vietnam so they would not out-compete the children of the elite. The mindset remains that the military should be used in much the way that prisons are being used. Between the two we indeed might get unemployment down to undetectable levels.

H

Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
At this time, the military is cutting the number of people by great amounts. It is not the time, when it is easy to go into the military of any branch. They just announced the Navy is kicking out thousands of senior enlisted people, forcing them to leave with early retirement.

The qualifications for entry, have been tightened up. One of my grand daughters and her husband visited us this past weekend. He was an air force master sergeant and retired 2 years ago. He was telling me how they were cutting off a lot of military groups. Offering full 20 year retirement at 15 years, etc.

When someone says if you can't find a job, join the military, really has not idea of what they are talking about.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM

17,137 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
At this time, the military is cutting the number of people by great amounts. It is not the time, when it is easy to go into the military of any branch. They just announced the Navy is kicking out thousands of senior enlisted people, forcing them to leave with early retirement.

The qualifications for entry, have been tightened up. One of my grand daughters and her husband visited us this past weekend. He was an air force master sergeant and retired 2 years ago. He was telling me how they were cutting off a lot of military groups. Offering full 20 year retirement at 15 years, etc.

When someone says if you can't find a job, join the military, really has not idea of what they are talking about.
If you can't find a job, go do day labor (i.e. Labor Ready), apply at every fast food restaurant you can, apply at wal-mart/grocery/CVS, and FOLLOW UP with management. Those places are ALWAYS hiring.
The pay will stink, but hey, a few hundreds a week is better than $0.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:09 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I think the shrinks are all wet, that threat as a major social problem is overstated..

When I was a young man, America was ruled by WWII veterans- millions of whom saw combat. That doesn't include hundreds of thousands of "displaced persons" that came to America from the war torn areas. Or those who served only in Korea.

The country didn't go to heck in a handbasket with lots of psychiatric basket cases. Sure, some people are less adept at dealing with the rigors of battle and the violence than others might be. But most, the vast majority, were able to move past and have productive lives.

Yes, those who do have PTSD should be cared for, but there is no way that 1/3 have a truly disabling PTSD that will limit their ability to work or render them disabled for a long time.

85% of American soldiers in WWII couldn't bring it upon themselves to shoot the enemy when in the sights of their rifles. The gov was horrified by this after the war. Training was changed.

Most Americans in WWII were not directly involved in shooting the enemy, IIRC. Vietnam was a different story, that's why vets have those mental issues.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:14 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
A person can choose their job if they do not want that risk. Someone joining the Navy as an FC will have almost no chance of being in a combat zone. Better yet, a submarine rate.

They can ultimately put a person where they want.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:14 PM

17,137 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
85% of American soldiers in WWII couldn't bring it upon themselves to shoot the enemy when in the sights of their rifles. The gov was horrified by this after the war. Training was changed.

Most Americans in WWII were not directly involved in shooting the enemy, IIRC. Vietnam was a different story, that's why vets have those mental issues.
In the words of my uncle, "staring a man in the eye, shooting him dead, and not knowing why you just did that... One will never forget that face."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search