Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 PM

18 posts, read 23,285 times

Advertisements

I was hoping you guys could give me some advice here. I'm just going to lay out the details of both:

Company 1
  • 1.5 year old SaaS startup with 70 mil in Series B funding. Cool unique software with huge potential
  • Culture: young startup culture
  • Salary: 52K salary
  • Perks: Free snacks and drinks, No limit to PTO, Typical insurance benefits, no 401k (was told it was coming soon)
  • Commute: Easy 1hr commute by train
  • Learning Potential: It's a startup so I'll be able to do a whole bunch of stuff and gain a lot of experience

Company 2
  • Profile: 9 year old SaaS company, profitable software and a lot of growth
  • Culture: Young but corporate culture
  • Salary: $19/hr, promised there would be a lot of overtime ~ 35k not counting OT
  • Perks: Free downtown parking, 3 weeks PTO, typical insurance benefits, decent 401k
  • Commute: Difficult 1hr commute by car/bus
  • Learning Potential: Structured training program. I'll be able to learn the ins and out of a profitable software. Plus the software is built on Salesforce; Salesforce experience is in huge demand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
What kind of job will you be doing? This actually makes a big difference.

P.s. I think i interviewed at your company 2 lol!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What kind of job will you be doing? This actually makes a big difference.

P.s. I think i interviewed at your company 2 lol!
Haha you may very well have! I'd like to keep the roles anonymous since I've already given out some identifiers given your reaction. I'll just say both roles are equally appealing to me. Role at Company 2 is just much more structured in responsibilities.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuu View Post
Haha you may very well have! I'd like to keep the roles anonymous since I've already given out some identifiers given your reaction. I'll just say both roles are equally appealing to me. Role at Company 2 is just much more structured in responsibilities.
Marketing, sales, enginerring, customer support.... The job title is unimportant. But the department is. Id give you different advice based on role!

*I don't think you gave away much. You'd have to be really in the SFDC scene to even have a guess.

Last edited by jade408; 08-28-2014 at 10:39 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Marketing, sales, enginerring, customer support.... The job title is unimportant. But the department is. Id give you different advice based on role!

*I don't think you gave away much. You'd have to be really in the SFDC scene to even have a guess.
Company 1 would be operations, company 2 would be product support.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:16 PM

A job in operations will give you a really really wide range of experiences, but you'll have zero guidance. You need to be pretty DIY and self motivated. But they probably have huge momentum with the ginormous round of funding so you hopefully will get great options now.

If company 2 is pretty close to "exiting" and the exit will happen in a year or 2 you might be able to cash out, but you'll be a little stuck careerwise. You won't get your hands dirty with the salesforce skills that let you leap up to the next level job in the product support role. Only do that job if they will make you become a certified salesforce admin. If not, it is a no go.

If you don't mind working hard, go with option 1. But you will get your hands dirty in all the pots. Easier commute is always a plus.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
A job in operations will give you a really really wide range of experiences, but you'll have zero guidance. You need to be pretty DIY and self motivated. But they probably have huge momentum with the ginormous round of funding so you hopefully will get great options now.

If company 2 is pretty close to "exiting" and the exit will happen in a year or 2 you might be able to cash out, but you'll be a little stuck careerwise. You won't get your hands dirty with the salesforce skills that let you leap up to the next level job in the product support role. Only do that job if they will make you become a certified salesforce admin. If not, it is a no go.

If you don't mind working hard, go with option 1. But you will get your hands dirty in all the pots. Easier commute is always a plus.
Thanks for your advice jade! Couple questions:

1. Can you explain a bit more on why you say that about an operations role?

2. What do you mean exiting?

3. Once I learn the product and the Salesforce platform couldn't I certify myself whenever I want the cert on my resume? I don't need them to advance my career if I can get the skills I need to move on in the future. Plus, the actual product (depending heavily on how wide reaching the product will get) there may eventually be admin roles for that product at other companies that license it.

4. What do you think about the salary difference? 52k is HUGE for a new college grad, I really hope they're not burning through their funding too fast.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your advice jade! Couple questions:

1. Can you explain a bit more on why you say that about an operations role?

2. What do you mean exiting?

3. Once I learn the product and the Salesforce platform couldn't I certify myself whenever I want the cert on my resume? I don't need them to advance my career if I can get the skills I need to move on in the future. Plus, the actual product (depending heavily on how wide reaching the product will get) there may eventually be admin roles for that product at other companies that license it.

4. What do you think about the salary difference? 52k is HUGE for a new college grad, I really hope they're not burning through their funding too fast.
1. You didn't mention how many people company a has, but typically the operations job is a catch all for everything that doesn't have an owner: HR, accounts payable or receiving, collections, office manager, procurement and even IT sometimes. So you will be all over the map. But you can learn what you hate and what you like.

2. Every startup has an ultimate goal: go public or get acquired. That's the exit strategy. Companies that get huge money typically plan to go public. It takes longer to get to the point they are successful enough for that. Other startups may have a vision of becoming a division in a specific company or type of company. As a junior employee, it is a little tricky to ask about what the exit strategy is, but it can impact your resume too. Sometimes it is better to get in at the middle stage of a company with a big exit, because you can claim you had a role in the exit. Employers will be impressed. Your company b might be aiming to get acquired by salesforce or going public. But if they are 9 years old, they are pretty close to finishing that up. Maybe. If they are venture funded. It all depends on who owns them now. If they are owned by a private equity company they screwed up somewhere and are in the figuring out what the new exit strategy is.

3. Training for the salesforce admin test is $2000. The test is $200. To pass the first level certification requires quite a lot of hands on and practical knowledge if you do not do the training. You would need about 4 years of support and other roles to be able to pass the test. Certification on company b's software may be meaningless or helpful depending on how many customers they have. Salesforce admin is a surer bet from a job hunting perspective, but being a support rep will not give you deep enough salesforce experience unless you start doing implementations. And that would take several years. Now if they send you to the class, and you study hard you are golden. So ask the hiring manager how many support reps are certified salesforce admins. If the answer is fewer than 65% then you won't really be getting the salesforce experience you think you are.

4. You'll be working pretty hard for your 50k if your startup is in explode mode. Find out more about what the goals are for this current round of funding. Don't worry too much about the burn rate. With $70 million, even if they are dummies you'll have plenty of time to build up decent experience. You should have 2 years worst case.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
2. Every startup has an ultimate goal: go public or get acquired. That's the exit strategy. Companies that get huge money typically plan to go public. It takes longer to get to the point they are successful enough for that. Other startups may have a vision of becoming a division in a specific company or type of company. As a junior employee, it is a little tricky to ask about what the exit strategy is, but it can impact your resume too. Sometimes it is better to get in at the middle stage of a company with a big exit, because you can claim you had a role in the exit. Employers will be impressed. Your company b might be aiming to get acquired by salesforce or going public. But if they are 9 years old, they are pretty close to finishing that up. Maybe. If they are venture funded. It all depends on who owns them now. If they are owned by a private equity company they screwed up somewhere and are in the figuring out what the new exit strategy is.
Company 2 is planning to go public within 2 years, from what the hiring manager tells me. No plans to be acquired by Salesforce. Dunno what Company 1 plans on doing since its so early. Both are offering stock options as a benefit.

Quote:
3. Training for the salesforce admin test is $2000. The test is $200. To pass the first level certification requires quite a lot of hands on and practical knowledge if you do not do the training. You would need about 4 years of support and other roles to be able to pass the test. Certification on company b's software may be meaningless or helpful depending on how many customers they have. Salesforce admin is a surer bet from a job hunting perspective, but being a support rep will not give you deep enough salesforce experience unless you start doing implementations. And that would take several years. Now if they send you to the class, and you study hard you are golden. So ask the hiring manager how many support reps are certified salesforce admins. If the answer is fewer than 65% then you won't really be getting the salesforce experience you think you are.
Wow, I had no idea. My friend, who just started as an IT Engineer out of college a month ago, is already a Certified Force Developer. That's why I assumed it was easy to be a Certified Admin. Also the manager did speak to me about how being in application support is the best position to jump laterally into implementations or product management, so I have to consider that as well.

Quote:
4. You'll be working pretty hard for your 50k if your startup is in explode mode. Find out more about what the goals are for this current round of funding. Don't worry too much about the burn rate. With $70 million, even if they are dummies you'll have plenty of time to build up decent experience. You should have 2 years worst case.
Not sure what the goals are for Series B but I read in a public news article that Company 1 doesn't even need a Series C, its generating that much revenue. That's a good sign!!

Old 08-29-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Company 2 is planning to go public within 2 years, from what the hiring manager tells me. No plans to be acquired by Salesforce. Dunno what Company 1 plans on doing since its so early. Both are offering stock options as a benefit.
This is good, because you will have bested options and around 6 months after going public you could sell some. Company a is technically riskier, as they have a longer time till the options are worth something

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea. My friend, who just started as an IT Engineer out of college a month ago, is already a Certified Force Developer. That's why I assumed it was easy to be a Certified Admin. Also the manager did speak to me about how being in application support is the best position to jump laterally into implementations or product management, so I have to consider that as well.
The developer test is easier, particularly if you are a developer, than the admin test. The admin test is 100% memorizing. Thats why you need to class or lots of time using salesforce. The admin test is about 10% practical and 90% memorization. The developer test is basically the reverse.

But if they pay for the admin test in your first year, you'll have tons of opportunity.

Quote:
Not sure what the goals are for Series B but I read in a public news article that Company 1 doesn't even need a Series C, its generating that much revenue. That's a good sign!!
$70M is a huge series b. I would hope they don't need a series c after that (unless it is biotech, that is very expensive). But it is helpful to know if that money is going to infrastructure, sales, marketing, new offices, customer support.....

Also the rate of revenue growth is a helpful factoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search