Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

The OP didn't tells us much about the job. Coffee shop interview screams small company the interviewer might be the owner. And also one that needs people to have the "right" personality to work there. They are more likely to want people who can be happy hour buddies, which why I think a suit is overkill. If the company is casual enough to conduct interviews at a coffee shop, suits would scream you don't fit in!

My sister just started a job where all of her interviews were over coffee. She did not see the office until her first day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
If you're meeting at the coffee shop for a job there, I would show up in nice clothing (clean, neat). Showing up in a suit may give the impression you're overqualified for the job?

coffee shop for office job... I honestly don't know. All of my interviews with office jobs have either been with the hiring company, or on site at the client's office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When asked to meet on a Sunday in a coffee shop, it does not look good. There is only one time, that a legitimate company would do this. That is if they were small enough that the person being replaced would see the applicant, and they don't want to send a signal of what is being contemplated.
Would be amusing if the potential replaced employee walked in that Sunday to grab a coffee, or stick around and read a book... that stuff is sit com or drama material right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
HOWEVER: It is an old trick for fly by night operations, and hiring people to get into MLM sales, etc. They don't have a regular office, so they will meet you at a coffee shop, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Prepare to hear the word AMWAY.
Or Quixstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Are they still around? I think that Shacklee is . . .
Yes, they're still around. However, these days, with the internet passing along information and decades of exposure to them, word gets passed around MUCH more quickly and widely how awful they really are. Many of the diamonds, platinums, and whatever precious gem status higher-ups are also finding it harder to maintain their positions, as they have to maintain high PV counts periodically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Alive and not so well. I was approached at the grocery store last weekend to invest in my future in a company similar to Amazon but with a better marketing plan.

I'm not kidding, that was his sales pitch.
Yeah, them "ambots" got all sorts of lines. "like Amazon" one of them.
"how would you like to quit your J-O-B"
"You look like a sharp person. Can I get your opinion on a business idea?"

In those cases, ask them if this is Amway or Quixstar.
If they say Yes, then just leave.
If they say No, they're probably lying to you, and you wouldn't want to have anything to do with them anyways, but you can check out their intro meetings to see all of the love bombing and lack of content the "business" is about.
Most likely, they won't give a definitive Yes or No, and skirt around the subject saying you can work PT and make ___ per ___ (any unrealistic value, and even then, stuff like $400 a month is still a stretch, especially after all the money you pay them THEM).

Old 08-29-2014, 07:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The OP didn't tells us much about the job. Coffee shop interview screams small company the interviewer might be the owner. And also one that needs people to have the "right" personality to work there. They are more likely to want people who can be happy hour buddies, which why I think a suit is overkill. If the company is casual enough to conduct interviews at a coffee shop, suits would scream you don't fit in!

My sister just started a job where all of her interviews were over coffee. She did not see the office until her first day!
The guy I'm interviewing with is the 2nd in command for the small company.

The position is an accounting role. Based on everything on their website, they seem legit.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post

The position is an accounting role. Based on everything on their website, they seem legit.
I wish you luck! Come back and update us.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I have a colleague who does this. He likes to get people out of the office because it relaxes them a bit, takes them out of the office "interview zone," and allows them to be themselves a bit more.

The hope is that people will let their guard down.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
just wear something nice...no suit though. khakis and a polo shirt is fine. shorts, slippers, and a tanktop is not ok. jeans and a t-shirt is risky.

unlike what some may say, wearing a suit can hurt you sometimes. if the company is all casual, you may be seen as way too stiff and formal so you may fail the "would you have lunch with him" fit test.

i went to an interview once but the guy wanted to meet downstairs at a cafe / casual restaurant. it was a nice sit down place and we both sat down. the waitress came by and asked if we wanted anything...he said "no thanks." that was definitely awkward because i would usually take his lead but it's also extremely rude in this cafe to grab one of their tables (hostess seats you, etc. not like starbucks) and order nothing and talk for an hour and then just walk out the door. i just got something really cheap on the menu (e.g. cup of tea).

the waitress did come by a few more times asking this guy if he wanted anything and he just kept saying "no" each time. she also came by asking if we wanted to order food or snacks and he kept saying no (which would have been fine if he ordered a drink).

definitely an odd experience that made it uncomfortable between dirty looks that the business was giving us and going through an interview. he asked me what the most difficult part of my job is and i said "hiring the best people" because i have a pretty high hiring bar and i rarely meet engineers that i think are good. he later told the recruiter that he was passing on me because he felt that i couldn't build an engineering team. oh well.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:38 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
The guy I'm interviewing with is the 2nd in command for the small company.

That kind of situation causes a lot of nontraditional interviewing and even employee meetings. People who run small companies often work seven days a week. Meeting you at a coffee shop might just mean it somewhere he can talk where the conversation won't be interrupted every five minutes.

There were an awfully lot of paranoid posts here. Business isn't as buttoned up today as it was twenty years ago. Of course there are scams who try to "hire" people for non-jobs, but if someone falls for that they are unlikely to be warned off by posts here. As for scheduling on Sunday, doesn't seem weird to me at all. This is probably outside the guy's normal range of activities and he just doesn't have time for it any other day. When I was employed by a Fortune 100 company, working on Saturday and/or Sunday wasn't an every week thing but it also wasn't unusual. Good companies do whatever their customers need.

I'm usually the kind of person who advises very formal behavior for interviews. For example, I still say send a thank-you note for this interview even it's in a coffee shop. But I think the suit and tie is overkill. It's seriously unlikely an accountant going to a coffee shop on a Sunday is going to be dressed that way and if you show up like that you might look more desperate than smart. I'd go business casual. Chinos and a white or light-colored shirt. Jacket if it's not sweltering. No tie. Shined loafers, not running shoes. If he asks you for an additional interview in the office, wear a suit and tie to that.

Best of luck.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That kind of situation causes a lot of nontraditional interviewing and even employee meetings. People who run small companies often work seven days a week. Meeting you at a coffee shop might just mean it somewhere he can talk where the conversation won't be interrupted every five minutes.

There were an awfully lot of paranoid posts here. Business isn't as buttoned up today as it was twenty years ago. Of course there are scams who try to "hire" people for non-jobs, but if someone falls for that they are unlikely to be warned off by posts here. As for scheduling on Sunday, doesn't seem weird to me at all. This is probably outside the guy's normal range of activities and he just doesn't have time for it any other day. When I was employed by a Fortune 100 company, working on Saturday and/or Sunday wasn't an every week thing but it also wasn't unusual. Good companies do whatever their customers need.

I'm usually the kind of person who advises very formal behavior for interviews. For example, I still say send a thank-you note for this interview even it's in a coffee shop. But I think the suit and tie is overkill. It's seriously unlikely an accountant going to a coffee shop on a Sunday is going to be dressed that way and if you show up like that you might look more desperate than smart. I'd go business casual. Chinos and a white or light-colored shirt. Jacket if it's not sweltering. No tie. Shined loafers, not running shoes. If he asks you for an additional interview in the office, wear a suit and tie to that.

Best of luck.
I agree with this post. Dress up, just not formally and be on your normal interview behavior.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
just wear something nice...no suit though. khakis and a polo shirt is fine. shorts, slippers, and a tanktop is not ok. jeans and a t-shirt is risky.

unlike what some may say, wearing a suit can hurt you sometimes. if the company is all casual, you may be seen as way too stiff and formal so you may fail the "would you have lunch with him" fit test.

i went to an interview once but the guy wanted to meet downstairs at a cafe / casual restaurant. it was a nice sit down place and we both sat down. the waitress came by and asked if we wanted anything...he said "no thanks." that was definitely awkward because i would usually take his lead but it's also extremely rude in this cafe to grab one of their tables (hostess seats you, etc. not like starbucks) and order nothing and talk for an hour and then just walk out the door. i just got something really cheap on the menu (e.g. cup of tea).

the waitress did come by a few more times asking this guy if he wanted anything and he just kept saying "no" each time. she also came by asking if we wanted to order food or snacks and he kept saying no (which would have been fine if he ordered a drink).

definitely an odd experience that made it uncomfortable between dirty looks that the business was giving us and going through an interview. he asked me what the most difficult part of my job is and i said "hiring the best people" because i have a pretty high hiring bar and i rarely meet engineers that i think are good. he later told the recruiter that he was passing on me because he felt that i couldn't build an engineering team. oh well.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet anyway. What kind of dolt thinks it is OK to tie up a table like that in a café or coffee shop. The waitress was dropping hints, it would have been hysterical if you were asked to leave, and had you not ordered a drink that might have happened.

Who wants to work for someone like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

Best of luck.
Agree with this.

But I would add you want to be brought in for another interview so you can see the office.

Jade408 mentioned her sister took a job and never stepped foot in the office until her first day, not a good idea, you can pick up a vibe(both good and bad) by seeing the work environment and the people you might be working with.

I have gone on interviews(I'm sure most on here have) and after seeing the work environment and some of the people thought "no way". You don't want to find that out sight unseen after you accepted the position.

Sitting in a coffee shop doesn't provide that, and hopefully he picks a time when the place isn't too busy. It could be noisy and distracting, in addition to having people sitting right on top of you.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But I would add you want to be brought in for another interview so you can see the office.

Jade408 mentioned her sister took a job and never stepped foot in the office until her first day, not a good idea, you can pick up a vibe(both good and bad) by seeing the work environment and the people you might be working with.

I have gone on interviews(I'm sure most on here have) and after seeing the work environment and some of the people thought "no way". You don't want to find that out sight unseen after you accepted the position.
I was shocked when she told me as well. They were in the process of moving offices. But in this case a friend had referred her to the job and had worked closely with most of the team, so she had pretty good insight on the environment. She has minor beefs about the office (she wants more decorations) but is getting on well otherwise.

I agree. I like to go to the office. I was shocked they offered her the job without ever meeting there.

On a related note, i joined a company (remote workers) and only talked to my boss on the phone and over email. We didn't meet in person until the second week. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search