Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,503,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
When you're ^^^ doing the hiring, you can complain about HR and "bigotries." Financial problems are a HUGE liability, and there is more to it as a qualifier than just the financial part of it. People who have financial problems as serious as a bankruptcy tend to be very distracted at work, and they often have drama follow them.

It also speaks to common sense and judgement. If I tell an employee to manage the company's money like they would manage their own, why would I want someone who's been bankrupt?

Like it or not, it is a huge liability.

OP, if you are applying at a place you KNOW does background checks, tell them on the front end of the interview process.

When the big companies, you know, the ones that created the mess that caused millions of good people to lose their jobs through no fault of their own, then turn around and deny those same good people jobs based upon bad credit scores, that the big companies caused to happen in the first place.... There is something really wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 PM

483 posts, read 691,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg9779 View Post
After this fiasco, I was lucky enough to get some interviews lined up with local colleges. I know they will do a credit check as part of the offer if it reaches this point. Hopefully they will at least give me the opportunity to explain the credit issue if it reaches the offer stage. You are absolutely right about steering clear of temp agencies. I guess desperation sat in after the long bout with unemployment. I take it as I was saved from a potentially toxic environment. Oh well, back to the drawing board I go.
A friend of mine was actually hired to work for a major bank even though he owed them in particular money, which I found rather funny. They simply wound up garnishing his wages on a schedule to pay the debt. Therefore I easily believe some employers won't hold it against you, though granted I think the debt was oldish; they could've been really hard-nosed and said nope, people don't change, not gonna trust you; but they didn't.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
When the big companies, you know, the ones that created the mess that caused millions of good people to lose their jobs through no fault of their own, then turn around and deny those same good people jobs based upon bad credit scores, that the big companies caused to happen in the first place.... There is something really wrong!
Exactly. And what exactly helps people get out of a financial bind? BEING EMPLOYED. Having a job is the main thing that improves a person's credit score in the first place. What a sorry catch-22 that is

Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 PM

80 posts, read 128,584 times
UPDATE: I was offered a position at Emory Hospital on Wednesday of this week as an Accounting Manager. It is an internal temporary position that's expected to last 6 months but hopefully I can get a permanent position with the hospital before the assignment ends. It is a $20K pay cut from my previous position; however I'm grateful to have a job. I've been unemployed since February and I've had a lot of highs and lows. I will tell anyone who is long term unemployed, you may have to take a pay cut to get back to work. The one piece of advice that I'll give is please don't give up. You may have to step away for an occassional breather to regroup but it will happen for you. Just be persistent!

Old 09-05-2014, 06:09 PM

532 posts, read 958,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg9779 View Post
While I appreciate your opinion, I was not a distracted employee because of my BR. I filed BR due to a divorce proceeding. I will not go into detail but I will say that I was a financially responsible person up until that point and I have been a financially responsible person afterwards. Sure there are people who use BR as a way of shunning their financial responsibility or getting out of a hole they put themselves in. Neither one of those scenarios apply to me. I'm stable and have diligently fought my way back from BR. If I'm made an offer, I will discuss the past credit issue at that time. I certainly get where you are coming from but my BR comes from a bad marriage and subsequent divorce. I used to be one of those people who figured anyone who filed BR was a bad person who brought it on them self until it happened to me. There are times when bad things really do happen to good people.
I totally agree. You can't say that every single person who filed for BR is a horrible person and bad employee. I also thought I would NEVER file for BR, then I had an accident and even with insurance those medical bills were huge. Either I filed for BR or had my parents help and I wasn't willing for them to use their retirement money, so I filed.

It is humiliating to have to disclose much of your life to total strangers and I felt a huge amount of guilt, about the people who weren't getting paid and of course the damage to my credit rating, but you do what you have to do.

My boss knows and yet she has no problems with the job I do, which includes handling large amounts of money daily. Although the BR is done and over with, I have never EVER been tempted by the money I handle and she has never expressed any concern.

Everyone has their own reasons for filing, some are legit and some aren't -- I personally know someone who knew he was going to file and the day before maxed out all his credit cards -- but let's give people the benefit of the doubt.

To the OP -- good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search