Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,799,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
225 miles per day? Some people literally bike that far in a day (google double century bike ride). That would be at most 4 hours of driving only. I just can't fathom that kind of "progress". As another poster mentioned. If the OP cannot drive for more than 4 hours a day then I don't know why they would even consider a road trip across the country. My 81 year old grandma drove up to Chicago from Florida not too long ago in her RV. Granted she wasn't alone but it also only took her a couple of days.
The OP thought she could do; otherwise, she would not have done it.

Driving alone or with someone makes a lot of difference.
Falling asleep at the wheel is a big concern especially after lunch in the afternoon.
I speak from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,398,345 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

If she had been up front in the interview process about having a medical issue then the company most likely would have worked with her. She was obviously the top candidate, otherwise she wouldn't have been made an offer. The fact that she just decided to try to "wing it" shows a lack of good planning and communication skills. That is my point. Sure bad things happen to people, that's life. But by 60 you need to have figured out how to properly handle the bad things that do happen to you. There were many times that this issue could have been properly resolved along the way.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-02-2014 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
If she had been up front in the interview process about having a medical issue then the company most likely would have worked with her. She was obviously the top candidate, otherwise she wouldn't have been made an offer. The fact that she just decided to try to "wing it" shows a lack of good planning and communication skills. That is my point. Sure bad things happen to people, that's life. But by 60 you need to have figured out how to properly handle the bad things that do happen to you. There were many times that this issue could have been properly resolved along the way.
She didn't decide to "wing it".

The cross-country move turned about to be more stressful than she thought.
Is that so hard to understand?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM

3,876 posts, read 6,784,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
The OP thought she could do; otherwise, she would not have done it.

Driving alone or with someone makes a lot of difference.
Falling asleep at the wheel is a big concern especially after lunch in the afternoon.
I speak from experience.
I understand falling asleep at the wheel would be a big concern. The OP doesn't have to drive all day and night. 8 hours of driving would have put her at her destination well in advance of the target date. Does the OP not work an 8 hour workday? Is she falling asleep at her keyboard? With an 8 hour drive that still gives the OP a minimum of 8 hours of rest a night and 8 hours of leisure. Add in the fact that 7 of those days the OP was bed ridden from the Sinus Infection and I just can't imagine she was "too tired".

Even if you still want to believe her story of not being capable of driving 8 hours. You still can't disprove her inaccuracies in her post. Why can't she be exact in her dates?

"I finally got on the road to drive to Indiana around the 29th/30th of July" - Did she leave in the middle of the night? I doubt that given the existing argument about her not being able to drive a full 8 hours.

"than told by Dr to rest for 2-3 days and begin the drive again." - So did he tell her 2 days or 3? Regardless, how many did she actually take to rest? Exact dates and times will be a requirement if she plans to bring this to court.

I just can't believe a darn thing she is saying right now. I'm not old myself but I feel like 8 hours of driving is perfectly reasonable for someone of her age.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
She didn't decide to "wing it".

The cross-country move turned about to be more stressful than she thought.
Is that so hard to understand?
Im sorry but her description of the events is pretty much the definition of "winging it."

Failed to disclose medical issues to hiring committee and hoping they wont be an issue.
Having no savings for moving costs and waiting for a signing bonus to do so
Not planning on moving costs far in advance to know the busy season
Not being able to make the daily drive, not considering this ahead of time when negotiating starting date
Not noticing a lack of a starting date and communicating this with the Hiring manager

I can keep going on and on but your rebuttal will only be softy cuddly feelz and ad hominums.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Im sorry but her description of the events is pretty much the definition of "winging it."

Failed to disclose medical issues to hiring committee and hoping they wont be an issue.
Having no savings for moving costs and waiting for a signing bonus to do so
Not planning on moving costs far in advance to know the busy season
Not being able to make the daily drive, not considering this ahead of time when negotiating starting date
Not noticing a lack of a starting date and communicating this with the Hiring manager

I can keep going on and on but your rebuttal will only be softy cuddly feelz and ad hominums.
1.) Disclsing medical issues?
Uh, NO.
Again try floating that idea around here.

2.) Not planning on moving costs far in advance to know the busy season
No clue what this means.
The offer letter came. She contacted the movers.

3.) Not being able to make the daily drive, not considering this ahead of time when negotiating starting date
Again, she didn't think this would be an issue.

4.)
She was excited about getting a "permanent" job.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM

16,307 posts, read 8,391,100 times
Quote:
You misunderstood the part that they were NOT paying for the moving expenses.

They gave her a signing bonus, but she is responsible for all expenses.

Being a reasonable person she did some comparison shopping.

Having just helped my mother move from Ohio to NJ, you do need to compare.

She didn't have her car shipped because this is the high season for movers.
I know; my mom moved in late June of last year. All the movers told us we needed to tell them in May what her schedule was.
I either missed that or equated the signing bonus as payment for the movers. Even so, there are times to be prudent, and other times to say the heck with it, I am not going to allow me being frugal to delay my journey.

You seem to be her spokesman for some reason, and that is fine, but don't assume your thoughts are hers and visa versa.
At the end of the day I think she may have gotten a raw deal, but I'm not sure much can be done about it.
I also would not be moving across the country for temp work as that can always be found anywhere if your skill set is in demand. To me, I'd only venture into a different region of the country for a rock solid career advancement. Plus who wants to move to the Midwest or north with another nasty winter projected right around the corner.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
1.) Disclsing medical issues?
Uh, NO.
Again try floating that idea around here.

2.) Not planning on moving costs far in advance to know the busy season
No clue what this means.
The offer letter came. She contacted the movers.

3.) Not being able to make the daily drive, not considering this ahead of time when negotiating starting date
Again, she didn't think this would be an issue.

4.)
She was excited about getting a "permanent" job.

A. You just proved my point "She didn't think this would be an issue"= winging it.
B. Bolded above = youre insinuating that her need to lie was necessary. Earlier you called me about about calling her a liar. Which is it? Is she justified in hiding facts or is she not a liar?

Come on now.......

Old 09-02-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I either missed that or equated the signing bonus as payment for the movers. Even so, there are times to be prudent, and other times to say the heck with it, I am not going to allow me being frugal to delay my journey.

You seem to be her spokesman for some reason, and that is fine, but don't assume your thoughts are hers and visa versa.
At the end of the day I think she may have gotten a raw deal, but I'm not sure much can be done about it.
I also would not be moving across the country for temp work as that can always be found anywhere if your skill set is in demand. To me, I'd only venture into a different region of the country for a rock solid career advancement. Plus who wants to move to the Midwest or north with another nasty winter projected right around the corner.
I have made close to 12 cross-country moves.

Both paid by my employers and by myself.

She moved for a "permanent" job.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:58 PM

3,876 posts, read 6,784,507 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Do you want to try and actually argue my statement or are you just going to be condescending? Should someone who is 59 years old not be able to sit in a car for 8 hours? My step mom is 69 years old and all her and my father do is drive around the country, they literally went on a two month road trip up the west coast and into canada back down through Wisconsin. They drive for 16 hours only stopping to eat at times. She even drives up to Illinois to see family twice a year which is a 9 hour drive. She drives all the way, without stopping. She could easily drive 14+ hours at one time.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-02-2014 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search