Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 06:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Why wouldn't they do that before a job offer is made anyway?
We do background checks after the job offer has been made. The job offer is conditional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 06:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,729 times
Just have your parents say you worked at the freakin cafe. Who cares? Do what you have to do to get the damn job.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I'm thrilled about the lie, either, but in this case, see if they'll cover for you and promise that it won't happen again.

It's getting to the point where they've got so many hoops for minimum wage entry level jobs that a lot of people (including parents) are just doing whatever it takes to get junior a job. I wish it weren't that way because honestly is always better, but those sorts of ethics don't pay the bills.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Look in my profession I've seen every nasty form of abuse and bad corporate behaviour there is especially in hiring. They do not tell the truth and have a legal staff tell them exactly what they can get away with. You owe them no better.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Look in my profession I've seen every nasty form of abuse and bad corporate behaviour there is especially in hiring. They do not tell the truth and have a legal staff tell them exactly what they can get away with. You owe them no better.
If you're a top graduate from a top university (for chemistry) and have several pieces of published peer-reviewed works (to show you've achieved a higher education and can demonstrate so), then you ought to be a prized possession to these employers. I find it interesting that they treat you that way.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Have your parents lie for you. This is really really easy to fake. Doesn't matter really.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
I think your parents will cover for you, but it ain't good.

Look, I've "bent the truth" a time or two and everyone's probably stretched the truth a smidgeon at one point in their careers. But it's not a good practice, and over time it'll catch up to you. Don't put anything on your CV that's patently untrue and provably false.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you're a top graduate from a top university (for chemistry) and have several pieces of published peer-reviewed works (to show you've achieved a higher education and can demonstrate so), then you ought to be a prized possession to these employers. I find it interesting that they treat you that way.
Yea right The net is absolutely flooded with stories from Chemists enduring the same S__T.
U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
“It’s been a bloodbath, it’s been awful,” said Kim Haas, who spent 20 years designing pharmaceuticals for drug giants Wyeth and Sanofi-Aventis and is in her early 50s. Haas lost her six-figure job at Sanofi-Aventis in New Jersey last year. She now works one or two days a week on contract at a Philadelphia university. She dips into savings to make ends meet.

“Scads and scads and scads of people” have been cut, Haas said. “Very good chemists with PhDs from Stanford can’t find jobs.”

Largely because of drug industry cuts, the unemployment rate among chemists now stands at its highest mark in 40 years

Haas, the former drug company chemist, has even harsher words. She plans to “get out of Jersey and get out of science” when her daughter graduates from high school in two years. “She’s very good at everything, very smart,” Haas said of her daughter. “She loves chemistry, loves math. I tell her, ‘Don’t go into science.’ I’ve made that very clear to her.”
I finally did manage to find a company that treats me well after 3 years of trying. On the other hand, I am keenly aware that if anything were to happen to that job I'd better pray for a govt job or quit the field entirely rather than work for permatemp @hole companies like Pepsi or Abbott Labs/Abvie. After what I experienced from companies I feel no moral obligations to them at all. I've seen more ethical behaviour from convicts.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Don't do it again.....What sort of job are you at? Is it something easily replaced. Learn from your mistakes....It is good that it is early in your job career....Always be honest, you never know who your boss knows......

Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
I'd fess up to my parents if I were you. That's far more important in my mind. If your parents perpetuate the lie, all judgments aside, I'd talk to the hiring person and come clean about your "resume" and offer them the chance to rescind their offer.

You may be pleasantly surprised. And you will have learned a valuable life lesson.
OP stated he has worked there for 2 months already. I have never heard of a company doing background checks after you've been there that long....Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search