Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:45 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Thank you!

I received a call to schedule an interview - good pay and great location - I said why the heck not???
I guess maybe this needs to be said but the unwritten rule is that once you accept an offer, you tell all recruiters "sorry, but i just accepted an offer so i'm not interested in interviewing at this time." and you say this over and over again for at least 4 months at your new job.

This is what I did at my last job for actually a couple of years even to recruiters from my "dream" company...until I had a bad week at work when my manager was being especially unreasonable and the recruiters called again and I said "yeah, let's talk..." - lol.

Granted, this unwritten rule isn't 100%. If a recruiter calls you and says that they have a job opening that pays $100k/year and you would be the perfect fit and you just accepted an offer making $25k/year, you don't say no...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
One possibility comes to mind, and this is something I've seen happen before.

So you had an interview scheduled for 11 am. It's possible that the VP or someone a few levels about the hiring manager insisted they interview his nephew. . . but the only time he's available is 11 am. So for work-political reasons, they had no choice but to at least interview the guy.

I hope your new job works out. (I'm personally a believer in never burning a bridge.)

Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
I'm going to give you a bit of career advice at this point. Do yourself a giant favor and commit to something. You have a job starting Monday - own that.

If you're not committed out of the gate, you will fail. You'll blame a number of other factors, but in the end it will be that you don't know how to commit and learn. Not everything will be perfect and fun - live with it. Learn. Stick to it. Adjust.

Great advice. Why would you even do this? Enjoy yourself this week and than get ready for the new job on Monday.

I mean what are you going to do tomorrow? Go register at a temp agency, spend half a day taking their tests and than say "SORRY" I got a job starting Monday.

You have a few days to enjoy yourself before starting a new job, enjoy yourself.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:27 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I worked for a guy (CEO) once who was unprofessional in many ways (would yell a lot at subordinates, tell people "this is horse****" when reviewing their work, etc.

One time he had an opening for a biz dev role who would be reporting to him. A guy came in to interview and the CEO made him sit outside of his office and wait. After about 30 minutes, the guy said that he had to leave. CEO said "you knew this was a 2 hour interview so you blocked off 2 hours right? i.e., you didn't expect to be done in 30 minutes" and the guy just said "yeah i blocked off 2 hours but I gotta go" so the CEO said "ok sure" and the guy left.

I asked the CEO what was up...i.e., why did he make the guy wait outside of his office for 30 minutes while the CEO was just working on email, etc.? CEO simply said "i had a bad vibe about this guy on the phone because he sounded really pushy. i wanted to test his patience and see when he walks out."

...sometimes it's a test to see if you really want the job. but no, i don't agree with this CEO's practices.
Something similar happened with me when I was interviewing for a freelance job while I was in college. The guy left a message for me and asked me to call back. I called and left message after message for several days. Finally, after the weekend was over, the guy calls me back and says he was testing me to see how bad I wanted the job. It was my foot in the door as a college senior, so I put up with it, but it gave me a bad vibe. The guy turned out to be OK, but his freelance gig never did develop into anything else ... not even part-time employment.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:29 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Great advice. Why would you even do this?
Why not? What if the second job turned out to be superior in every way to the first one? Better hours, better pay, better benefits ... why turn down the opportunity to at least talk about it?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:19 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,919 times
Patience is a virtue. For my current company, I was made to wait 30+ minutes with each interview. And for every interview, I made sure nothing else was going on that day.

There's no such thing as dignity. Just pride. Swallow it if you really want a job.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
rosie is wrong. we get the job we want by setting appropriate boundaries for our employers. if you don't you train them to mistreat you. Good move walking out. I would not have given them that long.

Aim high.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:36 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
I did something similar. I had a phone interview scheduled and they never called. I wasted an hour I could have been at the gym or working on a test I needed to do, and didn't, because I was waiting for them to call. It was after hours and I didn't have the direct number to call them.

After that, they basically begged me for another chance to do an interview. It took like 2 or 3 days after they missed my phone interview, then the emails and calls started pouring in from them.

I wouldn't do it though. 1. I wasn't desperate 2. It just seemed like an indication of how the company works and I didn't want a part of it.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I've had interviews late and if they had a plausible excuse I'd just shrug it off. In this case it looks like a classic case of interivewers jerking candidates arround because they can. I have gotten very sensitive to that and would have walked out and never came back as well. I've had interviewers assign me essays, interrogate me like I was a murder suspect, spring temp/contract on me at the last minute etc...

Old 09-10-2014, 07:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I scheduled an interview with a hiring manager through the phone a week ago. I was scheduled to meet her today at 11:00am. I walked into the lobby and noticed another fellow waiting. Soon after, the hiring manager walked in and greeted only the other guy: "Hi, I'm Kelsey nice to meet you! Please follow me to the back." I sat there dumbfounded, did this person have two people come in at the same time? I walked up to the receptionist and asked what that was about and she replied: uhh, she's in another meeting, it might take 10 minutes or so..would you like water"?

20 minutes past and the receptionist walked to the conference room: "Kelsey, Boosane is here to see you." Kelsey decided to have me go to someone's office in the far edge of the building and told me to sit tight. It was now 11:40 and still nada. I walked up to the receptionist and told her I had to go.

That was a pretty awkward experience. I'm guessing she hired the guy. I didn't receive an apology email nor some sort of call to reschedule.

Thanks.
That was very unprofessional of her. I think you did the right thing by walking out. Especially since you had the other offer lined up. Despite the bad economy, people should not assume that they have the right to disrespect the applicants. She should have atleast greeted you & requested you to wait or just reschedule. If it was me, I would have waited out, aced the interview & then at the end of the interview I would tell her dont bother with the offer as I refuse to work at a place where you have no respect for others time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search